2005 6.0 1 ton uphill towing power - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Towing, Hauling & Diesel Competition Discussion of Powerstroke Usage EG. Towing & Hauling Habits, Off Roading , Diesel Drags, Sled Pulls, ect...

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-03-2009, 07:53 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
2005 6.0 1 ton uphill towing power

I figured it was time for a post. I have gotten great info here so I am asking for some help. I recently bought an 05 F-350 6.0 with 100K on it. She runs great but when I pull my 26ft toy hauler with no toys or water (8k dry weight)I noticed that going up 6% grades it seems to lack some power. I also noticed that the fan kicks in all the way and the enging temp kicks up a little. I have a SCT livewire on the way and was going to change the exhaust also. I tow alot from Phoenix up into the Forest Lakes area and there are alot of hills and 6% grades. The longest is over 4 miles up. Any suggestions??? Thanks

Almost forgot...wide open it holds about 50MPH up that grade

Last edited by 2005AZF-350-HD; 08-03-2009 at 07:55 AM. Reason: Forgot something
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-03-2009, 08:29 AM
Chapter Director

i haven't towed that much before up any hills, but 50mph WOT dosen't seem right to me.
Old 08-22-2009, 02:29 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

i have the same problem with my '06.......just bought a 26' eclipse attitude toy hauler and when i turn it back to stock to tow it has no power. i got about 8 MPG towing it home from dallas. i drove it home stock because i actually bought the trailer the week before and it broke down 30 minutes outside of dallas. took it to the dealer and they told me EGR and cooler. had to take a rental car home and pick it up the next week. so i pick it up and decide to keep it on stock just in case something happens again. zero power.....not sure of the grade but there are some long tall hills between houston and dallas. couldnt keep it above 60 going up the hills. i love my truck and it is the best looking truck out of the big three but it might have to get traded in on a cummins. i cant afford that kind of fuel usage because i would like to travel a little more than from the storage to my house and back.
Old 08-22-2009, 03:09 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I have no problem at all gaining speed on any hill I've come across. I run 4in turbo back sct tuned by RCD studs and egr delete, but Even when It was stock it could pull up anything I wanted. Last trip out i was fully loaded averaging 75-80 I got 13.8 mpg done by hand. I pull a 23 foot 10k equipment trailer with a 04 ccsb. Something doesnt sound right.
Old 08-22-2009, 03:24 PM

subscribed
Old 08-22-2009, 03:35 PM
Almostdunfukinwidit

Send a message via Yahoo to Dave
Shouldnt have any problem holding speed with 8k up a hill unless its a steep sum*****. We have a hill around here its known as 10 mile hill. Its a 8% grade for 2 miles straight. Ive hauled everything from skid steers to campers up it and never missed a beat
Old 08-22-2009, 07:45 PM

If your going to hold it wideopen, you'd better get guages in it. I've learned to not push the truck, just let it do it's thing. They have enough power to pull.
Old 09-08-2009, 04:06 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I run a SCT tuner with MBRP 4" turbo back exhaust with no cat... I live in New England where we have nothing but hills and I never run above 1000 degrees on the EGT's while pulling a 30' 5th wheel that weighs about 10.5 K and sometimes I actually have to get off the gas....
Old 09-08-2009, 05:57 PM

With a good custom tow tune on that SCT, your problems will be solved.
Old 09-23-2009, 08:45 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

My towing question...

Newbie here, after reading couple of posts thought I might get some insight to my truck prob. I have a 04 4X4, 6.0. with 65000 miles on her. The guy who owned it before me had some kind of chip in it and blew out the top end. The local dealer fixed the motor, and took chip out.

I bought it and recently tried to tow a 7000 lb camper. It has same symptoms as others have posted....no power going up any kind of hill, won't go over 65 mph, and MPG has dropped from 16 highway to 7.9. Bad thing is I dont have any gauges on it, so cant tell what engine is doing.

Where do I beging troubleshooting this? Is the 6.0 just underpowered for that much weight? It is supposed to be able to pull 12,500. What would be a good chip to put in it? And lastly, do you need an intake, exhaust at same time you add a chip?

Thank you in advance for any help and opinions......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.