Considering Turning a Wrench - Might Need Assistance - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2011, 08:16 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Considering Turning a Wrench - Might Need Assistance

Gentlemen:

I am originial owner of an '06 PSD Crew Cab and I am located in Overland Park, Kansas. I am considering attempting to do a oil cooler R&R (several variations being considered) and an EGR R&R (again, several variations being considered) and I was wondering if there are any Chapter members (locally)who have done this for themselves that would be willing to assist once the weather turns human habitable in the Spring?

I can do the work without any labor assistance. I am actually after accessing experience and knowledge that only comes from having done it already. Maybe one scenario is that I have someone come and look at the progress, to guide my steps and monitor me to make sure I am staying on track. Things like, don't forget there is a fuel line bolt here, there is a specific SnapOn wrench for this bolt there, etc., etc. Maybe I am on crack, but that is a thought.

My contact info is shown below if you would like to discuss this further. I am willing to fund this - I am not asking for free help. MY PRIMARY INTEREST IS IN A FINSISHED JOB THAT IS STELLAR. My secondary interest is in doing this for a reasonable price with the long term reliability a top priority.

Thanks for taking time to read this.

Regards,

Kirk Waldon
(913) 269-2300
kwaldon@guardianml.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-03-2011, 08:08 AM
shhhhh, can you hear it?

kirk ive never done it before but if my ability to work on helicopters and inspect them for safety of flight means anything to you i would greatly be there to assist as long as i am home from iraq.ill be home in mid march.im sure between you,me,this forum,and a manual; we can figure this out and get it done correctly.let me know.also no payment would be needed.
Old 02-03-2011, 09:00 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

I'm a 7.3 guy but I'm always willing to lend a hand any way I can.
Old 02-03-2011, 09:30 AM
Emergency Services

Old 02-03-2011, 11:18 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

WOW guys! I'm flattered, to be honest. Okay, now that I know I might have some other brains to look at what I am doing or even lend a hand if needed, I feel better about taking on the job.

Whre I am right now is I am trying to learn what I should purchase to monitor my OET and OCT delta so I can see if I have a problem going on now. Point being, the factory warranty expires in Dec 2011 and if there is an opportunity to leverage the warranty, maybe I should consider doing that given I have now removed the root culprit in all of this 6.0 mess - the Gold Coolant.

So it seems my immediate next step given the warranty opportunity, is to get educated on tools like the Insight and determine if I want to buy just a "reader" or something more robust in the event that later I want to add some tunes for economy? Do you guys know if I am correct in my thinking that the "tuner" stuff will also do what the Insight will do?

Determining current oil cooler condition seems to be the right next step given my warranty....isn't it?
Old 02-03-2011, 12:46 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Go with the edge cts and have it tuned by php. That way you can have all that stuff monitored and at the same time get it custom tuned. Should be cheaper than going insight, then custom tuner. I would also get the Egr delete kit or bullet proof Egr from strictlydiesel.com. I hear they both work pretty nice. Personally since this is kansas I would delete it. I don't know on the oil cooler. Never heard stories on them.
Old 02-03-2011, 04:52 PM
Firewood Hack

Send a message via MSN to Locust Cutter
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanderchevy18 View Post
Go with the edge cts and have it tuned by php. That way you can have all that stuff monitored and at the same time get it custom tuned. Should be cheaper than going insight, then custom tuner. I would also get the Egr delete kit or bullet proof Egr from strictlydiesel.com. I hear they both work pretty nice. Personally since this is kansas I would delete it. I don't know on the oil cooler. Never heard stories on them.
The Edge seems to be a Good product. I'm going with either an SCT Livewire, or Touch Screen-X, depending on price-vs-capabilities, as the SCT's seem to have a better track record with the 6.0's. I'm just trying to determine presently whether or not the livewire will give me coolant temp Delta or not. I'm paying to have the studs done, as I need the truck asap, but there are many other things I intend to do myself, and while I've never twisted a wrench on rotor-wings, I was a Crew Chief on B-1b's and Tankers, so it shouldn't be too' bad. At least there's no safety wire to deal with, in places where you can't even see to do it in. LMAO. I'm pretty sure with everyone here, your truck shouldn't be a problem Kirk!
Old 02-03-2011, 06:24 PM
shhhhh, can you hear it?

safety wire in places you cant see makes the job fun and challenging.nowa days i dont do maintenance.i just inspect stuff and make sure its done right.i think you fly boys call it QA.on another note kirk,just from what i have read on the forum and magazines;youre next move would definitely be oil cooler,egr delete,and studs along with the monitor and tunes.its kinds up to you and your pocket change which one comes first.all of them can be done at the same time.i know bulletproofdiesel.com has a complete kit minus the tuner out.im mentioning doing it all at the same time because most of it involves about the same amount of maintenance.if you are going to do an egr or oil cooler delete the intake has to come off and if its off for whichever one you are doing you might as well do the other to save yourself work.then since you are there its not to much more work to get the heads off and put the studs in.i would say with two-four guys wrenching hard all day sat and sun you would be checking for leaks sunday night.and if i had a three day or four day i could be up there working friday morning.as mentioned above sct is the most popular for 6.0 but its all about hat you want and can afford.shop around.i bought my tuner when at the time it was the least popular on the site and it has grown into the favorite among 6.4s.thats my .02
Old 02-03-2011, 08:23 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Ok Guys, this is where I am.

I've already had the ARP studs installed with new head gaskets. Already had the turbo ring failure and they have fixed it along with a MAF replacement (they said the motor puked coolant into it??? and ruined it. Hmm...). All that under warranty. Since then I have installed a coolant filter and done a Restore flush and now run Rotella EC-1 coolant. Bye Bye silicate deposits/gumming.

So since they did not replace the EGR cooler nor the oil cooler under warranty, I'm suspiscious that my temp deltas were right on the border, thus my desire to get into this thing. Otherwise, what would have caused the coolant puking? Anyway, from what I understand, if I am doing the EGR delete/replacement, might as well do the oil cooler too - all right there.....I think anyway - tell me if I am wrong?

Assuming I have studied this correctly, I think that is all I need to zero in on.

Let me make a determination on a gauge set that will show me those temps so I can see if I have an argument with the dealer on a new oil cooler. However, before I get ahead of myself, how many of you would just punt the OEM style oil cooler and go to an external? Honestly I can't see how 185* coolant can lower oil temps a well as (in the worst case) 100* ambient air via a more traditional air-to-oil cooler sitting in the grill? Let's say I have more than the OEM spec'd 15* delta and could get the dealer to do a new cooler install, would you guys do that or just delete the OEM oil cooler for a remote cooler?

If none of you would stay with the OEM style oil cooler, I would like to know that. If not, I would just start buying parts to get ready for this and maybe go with the Sinister product from MKM (assuming they do the remote cooler bit). Interestingly, they offer a kit using a brand new OEM sourced oil cooler in the EGR delete kit in contrast to the BPD kit which moves to the remote cooler. (P.S. - I heard somewhere they are having a problem with the oil being too cool so they now offer a thermostat for the remote oil cooler set up - anybody else heard about this??)

I think the EGR delete is a given - the remaining question is the oil cooler, so if you guys can counsel me on that, I can start saving and buying. All of you have given me the confidence that I can do this with the potential of having you to fall back on.
Old 02-03-2011, 09:27 PM
Firewood Hack

Send a message via MSN to Locust Cutter
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptnKirk View Post
Ok Guys, this is where I am.

I've already had the ARP studs installed with new head gaskets. Already had the turbo ring failure and they have fixed it along with a MAF replacement (they said the motor puked coolant into it??? and ruined it. Hmm...). All that under warranty. Since then I have installed a coolant filter and done a Restore flush and now run Rotella EC-1 coolant. Bye Bye silicate deposits/gumming.

So since they did not replace the EGR cooler nor the oil cooler under warranty, I'm suspiscious that my temp deltas were right on the border, thus my desire to get into this thing. Otherwise, what would have caused the coolant puking? Anyway, from what I understand, if I am doing the EGR delete/replacement, might as well do the oil cooler too - all right there.....I think anyway - tell me if I am wrong?

Assuming I have studied this correctly, I think that is all I need to zero in on.

Let me make a determination on a gauge set that will show me those temps so I can see if I have an argument with the dealer on a new oil cooler. However, before I get ahead of myself, how many of you would just punt the OEM style oil cooler and go to an external? Honestly I can't see how 185* coolant can lower oil temps a well as (in the worst case) 100* ambient air via a more traditional air-to-oil cooler sitting in the grill? Let's say I have more than the OEM spec'd 15* delta and could get the dealer to do a new cooler install, would you guys do that or just delete the OEM oil cooler for a remote cooler?

If none of you would stay with the OEM style oil cooler, I would like to know that. If not, I would just start buying parts to get ready for this and maybe go with the Sinister product from MKM (assuming they do the remote cooler bit). Interestingly, they offer a kit using a brand new OEM sourced oil cooler in the EGR delete kit in contrast to the BPD kit which moves to the remote cooler. (P.S. - I heard somewhere they are having a problem with the oil being too cool so they now offer a thermostat for the remote oil cooler set up - anybody else heard about this??)

I think the EGR delete is a given - the remaining question is the oil cooler, so if you guys can counsel me on that, I can start saving and buying. All of you have given me the confidence that I can do this with the potential of having you to fall back on.
I really like the idea of the remote oil cooler (and never again having oil mixing with coolant as a result of a blown cooler). That said, with the amount of things I have to do to mine currently, the $$$'s just not there. There is a newer designed unit, that's supposed to be MUCH better than the old design, (not sure if the '05's and up have it already or not, but I know that they say that the '03-'04's definitely benefit from it. The external would probably be the way to go if You have the $$$, BUT IF THE egr is deleted and the coolant is flushed for the ELC stuff, I'd bet that you (and I) will have pretty good luck with the new design OEM replacement unit with the 2 main sources of trouble (+ head studs and better gaskets) fixed. I guess we'll see on how mine turns out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.