Deciding on Texan home - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2009, 08:43 AM
Project Abused

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Deciding on Texan home

Well I never understood all your Texan pride but looking at houses out there you can get so much for so little $ wise. Looking for some warnings or suggestions on where to go what to stay away from. Looking for decent weather area, nothing crazy hot but don't want snow ever year (kinda like upper FL weather for those who have been there). How are the schools, and employment? Does Texas have a sales tax? anything else would be helpful too
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-17-2009, 08:46 AM
Too cool for school

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Send a message via AIM to taylorking Send a message via Yahoo to taylorking
heres a quick
Old 01-17-2009, 08:55 AM
Viking Heavy Diesel

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I do belive that they have a sales tax but I dont know how much!
Old 01-17-2009, 09:06 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Well..

Texas has a sales tax (Varies given your location, expect 7-8.25% unless you go out to eat, then 9-10ish% depending on where), but no state income tax. Hooray for that.

No snow? Pretty much keep to Houston area, San Antonio, anywhere along the coast. You could even get away with Austin area, but it'll get "cold" there in the winter.

I find that Houston weather (and surrounding area) was/is pretty similar to Charleston, SC. Not a huge departure from Northern Florida.

Depends on what you do as to where to live really.....or what you can do.

Its all hot at some point...or so humid/hot is gross.
Old 01-17-2009, 09:30 AM

spicewood near austin, sweet place to live also look at marble falls.You get great views of lake Travis from there. There is a real estate agent you should check out its called spicewood reality.
Old 01-17-2009, 09:48 AM
Premium Member

biggest thing is what kind of work will you also be looking at doing, so that u can find a place near jobs, etc. Austin area is great, alot to do, weather fairly mild most of time until jan-mid feb, might get couple freezes a year, snow every other year or so, San Antonio same way. Schools outside of the Austin ISD are all great, i.e. Round Rock, Leander, Georgetown, Westlake. Then there are some smaller towns hour away from Austin where u can get acreage at reasonable prices, Spicewood, Dripping Springs, Burnet, all great Tx Hill Country. post up what u are looking for other than weather and schools. Everyone I know that moves here from somewhere else, never wants to leave. (those that don't miss snow skiing that is )
Old 01-17-2009, 09:52 AM

Yep, as a san antonio native, if I wasn't so stubborn with my "home town" I would move to austin 'burbs... Marble falls is wicked nice!!

San Antonio get 105* WITH humidity... You have to just about be born in SA to tolerate the heat!
Old 01-17-2009, 09:59 AM

Austin area is over priced and full of Libs. If you dont mind that sort of thing it can be a nice area.

Houston is turning into a toilet and the crime rate has tripled since Katrina. The suburb areas are pretty nice as long as you stay out of the city.

The city of Dallas is about the same.

The hill country area west of Austin is the nicest part of Texas in my opinion. If I could make a good living in that area I would still be living there.
Old 01-17-2009, 10:19 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMart View Post
Austin area is over priced and full of Libs. If you dont mind that sort of thing it can be a nice area.

Houston is turning into a toilet and the crime rate has tripled since Katrina. The suburb areas are pretty nice as long as you stay out of the city.

The city of Dallas is about the same.

The hill country area west of Austin is the nicest part of Texas in my opinion. If I could make a good living in that area I would still be living there.
that is why we don't live in Austin I live in Round Rock, a very conservative town in a very conservative county. there are tons of little towns on outskirts of Austin which are all very cool, and don't have all the tree hugging hippies like downtown Austin.
Old 01-17-2009, 11:31 AM
Project Abused

Alright, well I don't like the city I want just nice neighorhood style living house, i plan on being a mechanic. Price range between $250,000 and $350,000. So far just me and my wife and dog. We looked at some nice ones in Mansfield
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.