New 6.0 owner in Porter - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-16-2013, 05:22 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
New 6.0 owner in Porter

Well I just got into a 2003 F-350 Lariat CC FX4 8' bed with king ranch wheels and a ranch hand rear bumper. Drove to austin under the impression it was a 7.3 (which is what I've been wanting to get in to) and it was misprinted and I drove all that way for nothing. Either way I got a decent deal on it. Might end up selling it and going back on the hunt for a 7.3 4x4 lariat cc...who knows. Truck has 222k on it.
Bought it on monday afternoon, have since found out the cd player doesn't work. Stuck cd in it. Front dome light is out. Truck idles rough on occasion and I'm new to diesels but from what I've read it might be the ICP sensor? Washer fluid motor is out. Front tires rub on leaf springs during full wheel lock (assuming the king ranch wheels are oversized?)
Anyways I'm ready and willing to read read read on this forum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-24-2013, 01:25 PM

Had the truck inspected at Powerstroke Magic today and had a new purchase inspection.
Fuel pump is loud upon starting.
No ARP head studs
Said the engine oil cooler is restricted and temps were 225 degrees while the coolant was around 190.
And may have an egr block as it had an insufficient flow code or P0401.
Needs trac bar bushing, sway bar end links, and a rear pinion seal.
Old 08-24-2013, 01:30 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Ouch!!! Hows the tailgate? (Im trying to help you find something good here....)
Honestly I think Id take it back.
Old 08-24-2013, 02:08 PM

Haha on the bright side the tailgate is good! The truck has great power even the tech agreed. And the egr block made him think they did the delete but who knows at this point.
So after reading colo_dually's writeup on 6.0 bullet-proofing in order to kick this in the *** right now and prevent any other issues I need to rebuild my oil cooler (I'll probably end up buying a new one) and replacing my coolant to a silicate free type.
Old 08-24-2013, 02:19 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Have you looked at the Bullet Proof Diesel oil cooler set up?
Old 08-24-2013, 03:00 PM

Not yet man. What do you think carmax would give me for the truck? It's in damn near perfect condition on the exterior and only issues in the cab is a small rip in the driver seat thats not immediately obvious and the cd player has a stuck cd in it. I'm hoping it'd be worth it to go spend 1.5 hours letting them take a look at it. Plus it'd be an easy way out from under it...without the hassle of trying to sell it on my own.

What branch were you in? 5 year USMC vet here, just got out June 2012.
Old 08-27-2013, 01:19 PM

I forgot carmax only resells cars under 100k for the most part. So they would auction it off for cheap, therefore not offering much for it. Anybody had any good luck selling their truck to a dealer?
Old 09-04-2013, 06:40 PM

dealers wont give ya crap for 6.0's they can buy them all day at auctions cheap as dirt..
Old 09-06-2013, 04:16 PM

Well I just had a guy call and offered $9,500 cash tonight for it. He's en route right now. So hopefully its a good night and she gets out of my hands. On the other hand I have been looking into two different 7.3's. Both white, 4x4's, lariats, short beds. Both trucks will be getting checked out by powerstroke magic before I make a decision on them. Made that mistake once already, not again. I wouldn't mind the modded higher mileage truck if all maintenance has been done and the motor is still tight with little blowby. It's in cleaner shape overall as well. But I'm not looking for a beauty queen I'm wanting a long life out of it, although a few mods that I would be tempted to do anyways is always a good thing. For the little price difference though I would kick myself in the *** in the long run if I don't go with the lower mileaged truck I'm thinking. Thoughts?

2000 F250
198,xxx
lariat
crewcab
only 10k on tires
$10,000

1999 F250 Lariat
4" lift
33" nittos
air bagged in the rear
350,000 miles
mbrp exhaust
$8,500
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.