Texas non CDL Class A DL - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-19-2013, 07:05 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Texas non CDL Class A DL

Who has gotten a non CDL class A license? I've read the Livingston office is the best place for getting them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-24-2013, 07:34 PM

For this.
Also, if anyone knows, how do RV dealers transport their new purchases to lot?
I know they can pay someone, but what about them doing it themselves as a dealer? Is a CDL required, or just proper non CDL and dealer tags?
Old 07-27-2013, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesilvas View Post
Also, if anyone knows, how do RV dealers transport their new purchases to lot?
I know they can pay someone, but what about them doing it themselves as a dealer? Is a CDL required, or just proper non CDL and dealer tags?
If it needs a class A or B it would need to be a CDL.
Old 07-27-2013, 08:37 PM

Why?
No offense but I'm tired of everyone not knowing anything about NON-CDL licenses and automatically assuming if it's not a nonCDL Class C then it's a CDL. That is primarily the people at DMV who don't know anything past basic Class Cs.
So, that's why I ask why. If you have actual documentation for that, I seriously want it because I need to know for sure.
Old 07-27-2013, 09:10 PM
Super Moderator

Have you searched the TX DMV website to see what documents are there or if the DMV shows what the requirements are for each class of DL?

If they do, you might be able to print them out and take them to the office to show them what their own website says.

Just some thoughts.
Old 07-28-2013, 05:29 AM

Quote:
Why?
No offense but I'm tired of everyone not knowing anything about NON-CDL licenses and automatically assuming if it's not a nonCDL Class C then it's a CDL. That is primarily the people at DMV who don't know anything past basic Class Cs.
So, that's why I ask why. If you have actual documentation for that, I seriously want it because I need to know for sure.
You tell me why not?

If an RV dealer (or anyone else) is towing/operating an RV that requires a class A or B license, in commerce, it needs a CDL. Because it's IN COMMERCE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No document needed.

A non CDL is never a replacement for a CDL. I think this is why you won't find the documentation you are looking for.

Last edited by Spudman; 07-28-2013 at 05:41 AM.
Old 07-28-2013, 08:26 AM

I know what is required for a Class A, B, and C non CDL. That makes sense.
But that is only for recreational purposes.
There are documents stating what is required for CDLs, but nothing lists RV dealers. It's a small-ish market, so they don't specifically address it. They only exclude the recreational side of it.
What I want someone to explain is why a dealer transporting a vehicle is commerce. They are not transporting it for money (transport companies are obviously for profit). A dealer buys a vehicle, and moves it for free, and then places it on a lot to sell for profit on the lot, not in transit.
Think about car/truck dealers, the small ones. If they go to auction and buy a vehicle, they need it on their lot. But say it's just one or two. They could just drive them as opposed to shipping them. Do they need CDLs then? Or just the proper non CDL license and a dealer license plate? It's no different than pulling a trailer that isn't for sale yet. The only difference is weight, and that can be addressed with a non CDL license.
Which is why a non CDL license can be a replacement for a non CDL license, when properly used. Documentation: TxDPS - Classes of Driver Licenses
Documentation is needed, because otherwise there wouldn't be laws about it. That's like saying you don't need documentation for having a CHL What is the legal definition of "in commerce" as related to CDLs?

Again, this is all for discussion. We can all spout information all day long and say "tell me why not," but it doesn't mean anything unless there's some proof for the information.
Old 07-28-2013, 12:30 PM

Quote:
They only exclude the recreational side of it.
Quote:
What I want someone to explain is why a dealer transporting a vehicle is commerce

How are they not?

They are transporting them to sell them for profit ie COMMERCE.

Quote:
They are not transporting it for money.
Yes they are. It's part of the sale price. (Or part of the cost of doing business.)

Quote:
A dealer buys a vehicle, and moves it for free, and then places it on a lot to sell for profit on the lot, not in transit.
They are not moving them for free.

Quote:
Think about car/truck dealers, the small ones. If they go to auction and buy a vehicle, they need it on their lot. But say it's just one or two. They could just drive them as opposed to shipping them. Do they need CDLs then?
Why would they need a CDL to drive a car?

Quote:
Or just the proper non CDL license and a dealer license plate? It's no different than pulling a trailer that isn't for sale yet. The only difference is weight, and that can be addressed with a non CDL license.
Which is why a non CDL license can be a replacement for a non CDL license, when properly used.

Look up the DOT definition of commerce yourself.
Old 07-28-2013, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spudman View Post
Why would they need a CDL to drive a car?

Because the car is being driven to a dealer lot for profit, just like an RV would be towed to a lot for profit, right?.
You know, you're getting awfully defensive and combative, it seems, for me just asking lots of questions looking for factual statements to do things by the law.
Old 08-23-2013, 02:19 PM

You can get a class A non CDL, which is what a lot RV people do. My understanding is (direct from a highway patrol) a standard CDL is required when you a drive for commercial or profit, a class A non CDL is required when you drive for personal use. Obviously over the class A weight limits for both. I looked at getting a class A non CDL but don't need one know with my trailer, I'm at 25,600lbs GCVW
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.