New to PS.org Have question about Auto Tranny application - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Testing Forum Dont know how to post a poll, picture, Etc....Try it out here first!!

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-29-2009, 08:27 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
New to PS.org Have question about Auto Tranny application

Hi All,
I have two 7.3 powerstrokes. a 95 E-350(First official production year after the 94 changeover from mechanically injected 7.3 and somewhat an animal unto itself so I have learned shortly after buying it a month ago), and an 01 pickup(as i understand it the last year it was used in the superduty pickups).
Can someone give me some solid information on automatic transmission application and how it impacts the computer system on the 95 van. I know gone are the days of "if it bolts up, it'll work" when it comes to electronically controlled trannys. I would like to know if the tried and true Mechanical C-6 workhorse from the old 7.3 will bolt up and function properly as a replacement to the electronically controlled E4OD? or will it mess with or damage the ECU or cause engine functionality/performance issues since the computer won't get any transmission input signals? Please only post an answer to these questions as gospel if you have more than just a well I heard of a guy on the other side of town experience or definitive knowledge on this. If you post an opinion or hypothetical probability please identify it as such. I am on a shoestring budget as is and the guy that sold it was less than honest on the auction listing and hightailed it out of there after I paid him so I was stuck with a project with a lot of issues and dont have time for goose chases. But the van configuration is what I need so I am biting it and doing the repairs or mods as necessary. The tranny that is in this vehicle is E4OD and it shift's really late and really hard, downshifts early and hard when I let off the throttle. And when I put it in reverse or L1 with foot on the brake the Torque converter clutch engages enough to kill the motor but doesnt seem to slip in forward motion. I'm looking for a diagnostics computer to resolve this issue. I have already tried a filter change with no positive results, in the meantime any insight of likely culprits would be appreciated including the anyone that may have technical insight about Lucas tranny conditioner and it's positive and negative effects on a transmission and if it would resolve the symptoms as described. Is it just a snake oil that swells seals like what happens when you try to clean old rubber brake cylinder plungers in gasoline and cause more problems than it solves in the long run or is it a truly safe detergent and lube that will do what it claims and somehow stops seal leaks by depositing material without long term side effects.
thanks in advance for any useful information,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.