Need help - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Tennessee Powerstrokes Tennessee Powerstrokes Chapter Area

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-14-2010, 04:38 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Need help

Hey guys.... I just had the driver side upper and lower ball joints replaced. Had this done at Firestone in Knoxville off of Broadway and they did the alignment and said the camber was a little out but these trucks are non adjustable on the camber. I am concerned cause I just put new rubber on the truck so afraid of ruining the tires. Anyways on the drive back up to Johnson city I noticed the truck "walking" really badly. I can make the truck drive straight but just a little nudge of the wheel the truck will stay going in that direction. My grandfather has told me to find a shop that deals in nothing but big trucks and have them look at it because he thinks that the alignment shop has messed something up. Any suggestions on who to take it to in this area or even in Knoxville since I have to head back down there this weekend and hopefully solve this problem before I ruin this brand new set of nitto's? Thanks for the help guys I am just really lost.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-14-2010, 06:12 PM
Coal Rolling = Posing

I dunno brother, I know AlabamaFrog is havin this exact same issue after puttin on a set of Nitto's though.
Old 03-17-2010, 05:58 AM
Carbon huffing animal

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuturePharmD View Post
Hey guys.... I just had the driver side upper and lower ball joints replaced. Had this done at Firestone in Knoxville off of Broadway and they did the alignment and said the camber was a little out but these trucks are non adjustable on the camber. I am concerned cause I just put new rubber on the truck so afraid of ruining the tires. Anyways on the drive back up to Johnson city I noticed the truck "walking" really badly. I can make the truck drive straight but just a little nudge of the wheel the truck will stay going in that direction. My grandfather has told me to find a shop that deals in nothing but big trucks and have them look at it because he thinks that the alignment shop has messed something up. Any suggestions on who to take it to in this area or even in Knoxville since I have to head back down there this weekend and hopefully solve this problem before I ruin this brand new set of nitto's? Thanks for the help guys I am just really lost.
Depending on how often you make it to K-town, you could go to City Diesel. I'm not sure how much work they do under the truck though, but it's worth a call.....
Old 03-17-2010, 06:38 AM

I may stop by there on friday. I actually took it to another shop up here and come to find out the toe was out by almost a whole degree on the passenger side. they adjusted everything back and it is better but still not perfect. Listening to a few others they seem to think these tires may have something to do with it and just need some wearing in. But I will stop by and see what they have to say when I get down there on friday. Thanks for the help.
Old 03-22-2010, 09:44 AM

Those guys are MORONS thats all it boils down to it I have a lifetime alignment with them and they can never get it right Clinton highway is better but a guy that deals with larger trucks and did really good with my cousins 350 was a place called Petes alignment. Also need to make sure your tires are balanced right my father in law runs a tire shop off Hall of Fame.
Old 03-22-2010, 09:53 AM

Not an expert here but after years of running twin I beam, I've learned that most alignment shops will set the front tires perfectly straight. I usually go to the shop and set them at just under 1/8 inch toe in and they drive 10x better. I take it to the shop just to get the caster and camber set. Just my 2 bits, I just got my 97 Dually aligned last week and it did the wandering thing, so reset the toe and its much better. Later Whit
Old 03-23-2010, 05:57 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Camber is adjustable. Tell them to pull out their SPC book, and look up the adjustable camber sleeves. If they didn't write that down on the alignment sheet and try to sell it to you, they're stupid. I know this because I work at a Firestone also. Depending on how far your camber is out, I may not worry about it....just keep your tires rotated often and balanced.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.