Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Carli Long Travel Airbag Installed Pics 07

12K views 29 replies 8 participants last post by  villestrip 
#1 · (Edited)
I figured I would help out as I haven't seen any pics of these bags installed yet on any of the 05-07 Ford's. I am currently other in Afghanistan and my father at home is working on my truck for me while I am gone and started to finish up my lift install. I needed to put the bags on yet and everything was done. So he took the liberty of installing those today for me. These are not I direct open and bolt-on system some finesse and work needs to be accomplished from what he said. Again I did not complete this work but I will be glad to answer as many questions as possible and have my father relay info back. out of the 6 Bolts on the top brackets 4 had to be drilled fresh. 2 of those holes went through the B&W Goosneck Mounting plate. 2 holes already existed he stated he was able to just ream them and get it to work perfect. (He said if you don't have yours already go buy a 90 degree drill it is worth it.) Once you get pilot holes started you can drill it from the outside of the frame but you need the pilot holes first obviously.

The bottom brackets he had issues they ran directly in the the lower shock mount on the drivers side. He spoke to a Carli representative and betw them he decided he would cut of some of the top of the shock mount that was interfering. If you look closely at the lower shock mounts the shock mounts actually is supported by a pin that goes into the axle tube. the U-bolt simply sucre the mount itself to the axle. The center pin is the actually mount for it. So the top can be cut off and then the bracket can straddle the u0bolt and clear with-out interference. The bottom of the airbag bracket would sit on top of the shock mount I believe he said approx inch or so needed to be removed to seat the airbag mount to the axle tubes. Everything is on and bolted up. Will be taking the welder to weld the lower bracket to the tube to make sure it never moves and it is mounted securely. 4 nice welds that can be hit with a grinder should the need arise to remove the lower plate.

Other than the Shock mount trimming required and 4 holes need to be drilled in the frame he states it was very straightforward and the bags look great. There are zero clearance issues at all. The truck has a 5" exhaust as i was concerned with exhaust interference. As you can see by all the pics there is none and with the heat shield Carli supplies it should never be an Issue. He said the bags look great and he was impressed with the quality of the components. He said the bags are Firestone should they should be very nice. Hope this helps some guy's that may have been on the fence with going this route for the truck. I will be hooking my bags up to an on-board Viair system that I will install in july when home. If you have any questions feel free to ask. I will get answers and responses as fast as i can.

I want to thank you dad for busting your a** and helping me out with my truck. I have the most amazing father in the world and it is these times wrenching on our Sh*^ that I miss the most. Can't wait to get home so we can work on our trucks and toys together. Love you dad thanks a lot for all the help and everything you do.

Auto part Pipe Suspension part Machine Gas

Auto part Suspension part Automotive fuel system Suspension Vehicle

Auto part Cylinder

Auto part Automotive exhaust Pipe Exhaust system Rust

Pipe Auto part Automotive exhaust Exhaust system Pipe insulation

See less See more
#3 ·
As you can see in this set of pics here is the interfernece he was stating betw the shock mount and the base plate. Quick go at it with a cut off wheel and all is well. I hope this helps you guys, Sage I hope the Carli guys can use some of these pics to help out with others. Feel free to shoot us some Carli swag if you like ;) hahaha. But in all honesty me and my father have been thoroughly impressed with everything attached to this Carli Pin-top system. My truck just floats over everything it is the nicest riding super duty I have personally ever been in. My father loves me being deployed right now just so that he can drive it and exercise it for me hahaha. I can't wait to get home again and play with her and enjoy before leaving. To the Carli guys you have an awesome awesome product you have done your research and it shows!! If you have ever been debating the cost and wondering if it is worth it tract me guys it is!!! I love my 8k baja truck !!!!

Pipe Auto part Steel Metal Cylinder

Auto part Bumper Automotive exterior Pipe Gas

Pipe Cylinder Machine

Auto part Pipe

Pipe Machine

#9 ·
Ive been searching for a bags and lift combo. This has helped me a lot, thanks

#11 ·
I can not give you a honest assessment of how well the airbags work when loaded down. I could ask my dad to hook the 30' gooseneck up and load her down with the weight top heavy but may take a week or two for him to get that done. What I can attest to is how absolutely amazing the truck rides with the Carli System and my dad set up the bags has 8psi in them and said you don't even know they are on the truck and the suspension can cycle fully with zero interference. Carli has some top notch set-ups. I don't feel you would go wrong with any of the big guys lifts, Carli, PMF, Icon or OUO they are all solid systems and you get what you pay for. The Carli system is the only I have found that incorporates bags to accommodate the travel of the new suspension.

#13 ·
They look awesome! Spent a good bit of time on the phone with your pops but the man knows what he's doing; a bit of cutting, grinding and welding and he had the 2008+ bags on your 07 frame in no time. Glad to hear all is well and if you PM me your info, i'll be happy to send you and your pops some swag (include your t-shirt size)! Thanks for your work overseas and I'm very happy you're loving the product!

#14 ·
He was extremely impressed with the customer service he received and all the help he got with you on the phone. That is a long lost quality you lose in todays business model. Thank you so much it is the top notch customer service along with the top of the line quality system they build that completely sets them apart from the competition if you ask me. Thanks guys!!

#15 ·
Have you had a a chance yet to tow with this setup? Also quick question about the long travel air bags. If your truck is an 05-07 and you do the spring upgrade to an 08+ spring which model LT airbags do you run? The year of your truck or the year of the leaf springs?

#16 ·
Yes I have towed several times now with this set-up and it is great. It does absolutely everything it should do for leveling out the truck and the ride is great. I have had the bags filled up to 100 psi and no issues at all. Well when I put these on my truck Carli was just in the process of developing and finalizing them for release. I had to call and request them as they were not available to select and purchase online. That being said he only had them for the 08+ trucks. If you notice in the first post's it shows what minimal "install" was required. Nothing major at all if you have some basic mechanical skills should not be an issue at all. I am sure Carli can chip in I have not looked but he may offer a system for the 05-07 trucks now. The big difference would be the trucks frame I suspect. The leafs even though from an 08+ the center and where the axle attaches would be the exact same as our years.

#26 ·
Yes,

This style of bag is a tapered piston design as opposed to a double convoluted bag. This allows for almost double the amount of travel along with far less spring rate increase per inch.

Most double convoluted styles have about 6-7" of travel which is less than even the stock rear suspension on these trucks. So it limits the up and down travel. They also increase in internal pressure very quickly as they compress so even when empty or near empty they get really stiff after on an inch or 2 of suspension compression.

#30 · (Edited)
Got my airbags mounted up yesterday. Had to notch the passenger side bracket due to clearance with the lower shock mount. Look good but I have one question. When I install the air fittings to the bag do I need to use Teflon tape or thread dope? Instructions don't say. Here's some pics of them installed.

Drivers

Passenger

Notch I made

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.