Steering stabilisers - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Suspension & Steering Discuss OEM & aftermarket suspension, lifts, air ride suspension, shocks, steering components, etc.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-12-2014, 01:40 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Steering stabilisers

What is it that makes everybody with these trucks run stabilisers? I know their purpose, but almost everybody has them on here...

I don't have one, and I never even gave it a thought until coming on this forum after buying the truck... They are everywhere. My track bar is perfectly in line with the drag link... From the front you actually can't see my track bar.

I can be going highway speed and very very little bump steer to worry about. I can let go of the wheel and drive straight, only minor corrections after big holes and such.

They just seem a bit overkill to me, unless they do another function I'm not aware of I don't see them helping me in any way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-12-2014, 02:07 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

stabilizer ;-)

if you ever whack a curb and the wheel rips out of your hand you will see one benefit of having a hydraulic dampener

now on the leaf sprung trucks they don't seem to have the everyday benefits that the coil sprung trucks get
but I enjoy having mine they made a huge difference in the handling at speed
Old 04-12-2014, 02:19 PM
Vintage Nakamichi Powered

They are not a must have item if your not running bigger tires. What they do for you is:
Slow down road inputs back to steering wheel.
Softens the blow back to the steering gear box.
Give you a bigger advantage from having wheel ripped out of your hand from a blowout or hitting something with only one tire.
They soften the shock going through the joints from the road. Drag link mainly but also tie rods. That is if you run the stabilizer on the tie rod to the axle.

They make driving easier because it really dampens the road forces up to the steering wheel. You can hit a curb and the steering wheel won't be ripped out of your hand. I have 38" tires there is no way I would drive without them. They put a lot of leverage on the steering system, the stabilizers limit that leverage.

It is a much more pleasant drive with them trust me.
Old 04-12-2014, 02:34 PM
Premium Member

My phone corrects Stabilizer and I was too lazy to change it lol

But I have big heavy e rated 37's, steel wheels... The worsted combination for bump steer. And I have none... No more than most stock family cars anyway.

I haven't had a blowout but I have hit a number of hard objects and it doesn't violently jump out of my hands. It will move of course but nothing unexpected.

Unless I hit very significant holes on the highway I never have any issue of any kind... Maybe the coil sprung trucks are that much worse but my truck is so easy to keep in a lane I let my gf drive it even
Old 04-12-2014, 02:52 PM
Vintage Nakamichi Powered

Then your good to go. Spend the money on beer instead. That's my recommendation for you
Old 04-12-2014, 03:00 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhatlen View Post
Then your good to go. Spend the money on beer instead. That's my recommendation for you
I can live with that recommendation... Any American non-watery brands you can suggest?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.