Dual Steering Stabilizer (Opposing vs. Parallel) - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Suspension & Steering Discuss OEM & aftermarket suspension, lifts, air ride suspension, shocks, steering components, etc.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-05-2014, 04:25 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Dual Steering Stabilizer (Opposing vs. Parallel)

I was looking to possibly get a dual steering stabilizer for my truck, but I had a question between two styles. I found a Fabtech one that utilizes the factory mount linked here.. http://www.fabtechmotorsports.com/files/FT8000i.pdf

It installs where the shocks are parallel with each other. Other kits I've seen run the length of the front of the vehicle and oppose each other.

Is one style more effective than the other, or makes no difference at all?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-05-2014, 05:14 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I'm interested in this too, free bump!
Old 04-05-2014, 06:24 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
The opposing ones are for nitrogen pressurized shocks like bilsteins, fox or king. Parallel would work for rancho ect. Shocks like bilsteins use gas to keep pressure on oil to reduce foaming, but that gas pressure will exert pressure to extend the shock, which could bias the steering,thus the opposing mounts.
Old 04-05-2014, 06:42 PM

to clarify the opposing ones aren't for charged shocks only u see lots of regular hydraulic shocks in that mounting configuration and surprisingly Bilstein sells a singe gas charged for the OEM location i don't quite get that ?

you could even used gas charged in the fabtech mount if you wanted if they would fit opposed

at the end of the day I would go with the topgun customz 2x Bilsteins or better like King

Last edited by ZMANN; 04-05-2014 at 06:50 PM.
Old 04-05-2014, 07:39 PM
Vintage Nakamichi Powered

I have opposing tied to tie rod and also added another in the stock position after seeing Zman's pictures of his. It honestly made a big difference running all 3. I modified my old Rancho to fit up top after I fabricated a 4" drop bracket for the frame connection.
It has a really heavy steering wheel feel to it know and I get almost no rebound. Very solid feeling at the wheel. Not so sure what my power steering pump thinks about it though, lol.
Old 04-05-2014, 09:27 PM
Premium Member

Considering that I have run 14.50s without one, I have to ask why you need dual stabilizers on a 2002? I had one for about a month, bent it wheeling one night, and never put another one on.

Karl and his 2003 Souper Doody
Old 04-06-2014, 07:28 AM

I'm getting ready to install either a leveling kit or lift along with larger tires, new wheels, and all new shocks. So I figured I would replace the steering stabilizer on it at the same time. Figure it is probably worn too. Don't really need a dual stabilizer setup, but I've seen some setups that are pretty affordable like the Rough Country one from TGC for $89, and the Fabtech one listed above for $120. So I was debating between the two styles (opposing vs parallel). I liked that the Fabtech utilized the factory mount, but I don't know much about either setup. And to be honest, I haven't really climbed under my truck lately to study the steering setup to understand how it all works together.

And as far as systems to go with, I was really looking for a setup that is less than $150. The more expensive setups would be nice, but just not in my budget at this time. After leveling kit/lift, new wheels, new tires, etc., I just can't afford one of the more pricey systems at this time.
Old 04-06-2014, 07:44 AM
Vintage Nakamichi Powered

If your not running a 6" lift with 37" or larger tires the oem mount will do fine. It's when the truck has to control big heavy tires that that stabilizer becomes very important. Once the tires overwhelm the steering system trust me you will know it.
Old 04-06-2014, 09:07 AM
Premium Member

Considering that you're debating a leveling kit or a lift, I doubt you're going larger than a 35. Therefore, I would get the lift and tires and go from there. You will know if you have a front end issue.

However, DO NOT install a stabilizer without FIRST making sure all other components are good. This includes adjusting the steering box. A stabilizer can be a mask for other problems.

Karl and his 2003 Souper Doody
Old 04-06-2014, 09:28 AM

mhatlen

Shh

I never tell people I run 3 they whine about 2 sometimes LOL

when I bought my truck it had 35's and death wobble the single Rancho in the OEM spot really helped but duals eliminated it all together.

folks will cry that is a Band-Aid‎ fix but the Band-Aid‎ worked for 20 thousand miles or
more I know have a 4 link with uber adjustable camber so with that dialed in I have not tried running without them and probably won't since even a properly set up steering won't keep the wheel from ripping out of your hands in some situations

the only way I would take them off is to make room for a Hydro assist
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.