04 6.0 Loose Steering? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Suspension & Steering Discuss OEM & aftermarket suspension, lifts, air ride suspension, shocks, steering components, etc.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-31-2014, 05:49 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
04 6.0 Loose Steering?

I just bought a 2004 F250. I believe it has a 4 inch lift. the steering is deffinately really loose. Kinda hard to drive straight down the road. I believe it has as the stock pitman arm on it? I ask because i feel the the tie rods are slanted way to much, and its just putting the wrong tension somewhere? Im new to this, so dont know to much about them. any help? Also, if i grab the tie rods, like the whole assembly, there is a little play. like it will twist back and fourth a half inch or so. Im trying to get pictures up now. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-02-2014, 09:43 AM
Vintage Nakamichi Powered

The drag link and tie rod will twist back and forth in the joints that's normal.
Have someone turn the steering wheel back and forth while you look for any play in the steering parts. Look very close to the pitman arm because there is most likely going to be some play in the steering box.
Then look at the track bar on both ends. They are well known for the bushing getting sloppy at the bolt that connects to the frame. Also the ball joint at the axle gets sloppy.
The drag link also needs to be watched.
Bottom line if the steering box has play tighten it up first. There is a threaded shaft with a Allen socket in it and a jam nut. Play can be adjusted out if it's not worn out. Once that is taken care of look for anything with slop and replace as necc.
Old 04-02-2014, 04:18 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I have a 06 250 with 6 in lift and went through the same thing. Here is what I figured out, the suspension and the body work against each other .some people mistake axle shift and body roll For loose Steering. 1 Check the steering just like mhatlen suggested replace all worn parts and check the caster, 2 check rear leaf spring bushings I had one lift manufacturer send me a set of springs with the wrong bushings and I wasn't the only one. The best way is to remove the u bolts on axle lift it off spring and see if it moves side to side if they do get new bushings. 3 order a rear sway bar ,they are cheep, if you off road a lot get disconnects. If the truck has a toys r us front sway bar get a 1 1/8 min diameter front. The truck will drive a lot better. Now if you want to go a step further get a rock ram up front and air bag the back, the air bags in rear help the sway bars control body roll. My truck is set up this way with 37 in tires and I have ran over 100 mph no problem. I hope this helps
Old 04-02-2014, 08:14 PM
Premium Member

It could be as simple as needing to adjust the jam nut on the steering box. This is often over looked because the charge air tube on the left side needs to come out for access.

Karl and his 2003 Souper Doody
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.