1999 Power Steering Pump - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Suspension & Steering Discuss OEM & aftermarket suspension, lifts, air ride suspension, shocks, steering components, etc.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-27-2014, 11:58 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
1999 Power Steering Pump

I have a 99 7.3 and was wondering if anyone knows of an upgrade from the stock pump. I have 35's and the stock pump just isn't doing its job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-27-2014, 12:36 PM
Premium Member

There is a way to out the Saginaw pump on. Its pretty $$ though..

You could also run hydro assist if you can fab stuff up yourself. Get a spare steering box, drill it to accept the proper fittings. Most towns have a hydraulic shop that you can get a ram from once you figure out what length you need, and make you the lines.

Probably come in around 200$ and it'll also act as the best steering stabilizer you could ever buy
Old 03-28-2014, 07:47 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks, ill look into it.
Old 03-28-2014, 07:49 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

It eats stabilizers too. I cant seem to find a good replacement. It's a 1-ton 2wd
Old 03-28-2014, 09:58 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

There really isn't a good upgradeable pump, unless you want to pay like 600 bucks...LOL.

You are not going to do a hydro assist setup for cheap either. Just my hoses and fittings were over a hundred bucks. You can't just grab any ram for it either, if it is too big volume wise then it won't steer worth a ****, then it has to be sized correctly with internal or external stops so it doesn't just eat up your front end. You will realize that on our older trucks you will probably need the 600$ kit from PSC to get it to feel "stock".

If it eats stabilizers then I bet you got something wrong with it. Typically you don't need them on the older trucks like ours.
Old 03-28-2014, 10:07 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by layson View Post
There really isn't a good upgradeable pump, unless you want to pay like 600 bucks...LOL.

You are not going to do a hydro assist setup for cheap either. Just my hoses and fittings were over a hundred bucks. You can't just grab any ram for it either, if it is too big volume wise then it won't steer worth a ****, then it has to be sized correctly with internal or external stops so it doesn't just eat up your front end. You will realize that on our older trucks you will probably need the 600$ kit from PSC to get it to feel "stock".

If it eats stabilizers then I bet you got something wrong with it. Typically you don't need them on the older trucks like ours.
Also for mounting the ram it needs to be in line with the tie rod perfectly. Otherwise it will put extra stress on it.

Nobody said anything about it eating stabilisers? I only said a hydraulic assist acts as the best stabiliser you could have. They feel beautiful going down the road.

If you get a ram that has the correct stroke, no additional stops are needed. It should be around 14" but don't quote me. We just built one for my buddies Jeep with a SD D60 and his needed a 14" . I do remember it was a 1.5" bore and that seems to match his steering very well. Any good personable hydraulic shop guys that know their **** and like to help can sit down and get you the right one. Or teach you how to figure it out yourself

We had the lines and fittings for around 120$ and a reman'd ram for 100$.. Made the brackets.

I've done a few of these, someday my f250 will get one too. Even if it costs more than 200$ its cheaper than the aftermarket pump upgrades

Last edited by schlutzer; 03-28-2014 at 10:11 AM.
Old 03-28-2014, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by schlutzer View Post
Also for mounting the ram it needs to be in line with the tie rod perfectly. Otherwise it will put extra stress on it.

Nobody said anything about it eating stabilisers? I only said a hydraulic assist acts as the best stabiliser you could have. They feel beautiful going down the road.

If you get a ram that has the correct stroke, no additional stops are needed. It should be around 14" but don't quote me. We just built one for my buddies Jeep with a SD D60 and his needed a 14" . I do remember it was a 1.5" bore and that seems to match his steering very well. Any good personable hydraulic shop guys that know their **** and like to help can sit down and get you the right one. Or teach you how to figure it out yourself

We had the lines and fittings for around 120$ and a reman'd ram for 100$.. Made the brackets.

I've done a few of these, someday my f250 will get one too. Even if it costs more than 200$ its cheaper than the aftermarket pump upgrades
He posted above saying his truck eats stabilizers?

Hydro-assist for a guy who doesn't do too much work on his own truck is expensive. Most guys I know are not going to port their own steering box. I have a friend that does them and I didn't even give it to him to do..LOL. I think I spend a couple hundred doing that. Mainly since if there is an issue, they will send me another steering box, no questions asked.

A normal dude isn't going to know how to size the length of ram or bore size. I originally had one that had too large of a bore and it was a dog to steer. So that one got sold...LOL. If you are not a guy that is going to weld on the mounts you will spend some good money just getting a good mount. Then you have to set it up properly so the ram stops exactly when it hits the steering stops.

Then once you realize how much of POS the stock 7.3 pump is you will realize that you most likely will need the 600$ setup from PSC. One more thing that happened to me was my original stock pump took a **** when I installed hydro assist. So then I had to buy another. They are cheap but still another 60-70 bucks.

Most shops that build these kits and install them on trucks do it wrong (not saying your shop is that way). Typically when you setup a hydro assist on a rock crawling offroad rig you can screw up all you want and it isn't going to matter. When you do it on a rig that you drive on the freeway at 65-75 mph, it has to work correctly.

So yes you could do it for a couple hundred and some change and get by, but you have to know what you are doing.
Old 03-28-2014, 11:39 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
2001-2004 Ford Super Duty Steering Gear

says may fit 99's?
Old 03-28-2014, 11:59 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by layson View Post
He posted above saying his truck eats stabilizers?

Hydro-assist for a guy who doesn't do too much work on his own truck is expensive. Most guys I know are not going to port their own steering box. I have a friend that does them and I didn't even give it to him to do..LOL. I think I spend a couple hundred doing that. Mainly since if there is an issue, they will send me another steering box, no questions asked.

A normal dude isn't going to know how to size the length of ram or bore size. I originally had one that had too large of a bore and it was a dog to steer. So that one got sold...LOL. If you are not a guy that is going to weld on the mounts you will spend some good money just getting a good mount. Then you have to set it up properly so the ram stops exactly when it hits the steering stops.

Then once you realize how much of POS the stock 7.3 pump is you will realize that you most likely will need the 600$ setup from PSC. One more thing that happened to me was my original stock pump took a **** when I installed hydro assist. So then I had to buy another. They are cheap but still another 60-70 bucks.

Most shops that build these kits and install them on trucks do it wrong (not saying your shop is that way). Typically when you setup a hydro assist on a rock crawling offroad rig you can screw up all you want and it isn't going to matter. When you do it on a rig that you drive on the freeway at 65-75 mph, it has to work correctly.

So yes you could do it for a couple hundred and some change and get by, but you have to know what you are doing.
I missed the stabilizer post apologies.

The stock 7.3 pump is actually the same pump more or less on every ford from the 80's on. Its not that bad, and actually hydro assist will put less strain on the pump. It has to move more fluid, but less pressure.

When I talk about a hydraulic shop all I mean is a place that makes lines, does repairs, builds systems, mostly for industrial applications, the ram on my old truck was actually for a small bucket loader like a bobcat or something similar, it was just the right size. As far as setting it up right, you're totally correct but its not too hard, the biggest thing other than sized right is making sure its dead nuts in line with the tie rod, or you're going to have problems.

We found the flow rate and PSI of the stock pump and all that, measured how far the stroke needs to be, he sold me the parts and the install was 100% up to me and whoever was helping.

Drilling out the box is just drill and tap 2 holes. If somebody can't do that, they shouldn't work on a truck

OP if you are eating stabilisers how is your track bar angle and condition?
Old 03-28-2014, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by schlutzer View Post
I missed the stabilizer post apologies.

The stock 7.3 pump is actually the same pump more or less on every ford from the 80's on. Its not that bad, and actually hydro assist will put less strain on the pump. It has to move more fluid, but less pressure.

When I talk about a hydraulic shop all I mean is a place that makes lines, does repairs, builds systems, mostly for industrial applications, the ram on my old truck was actually for a small bucket loader like a bobcat or something similar, it was just the right size. As far as setting it up right, you're totally correct but its not too hard, the biggest thing other than sized right is making sure its dead nuts in line with the tie rod, or you're going to have problems.

We found the flow rate and PSI of the stock pump and all that, measured how far the stroke needs to be, he sold me the parts and the install was 100% up to me and whoever was helping.

Drilling out the box is just drill and tap 2 holes. If somebody can't do that, they shouldn't work on a truck

OP if you are eating stabilisers how is your track bar angle and condition?

You would be surprised what you see when you look into the reservoir of the stock 7.3 pump while the truck is just idling... Then have someone turn the wheel while stopped, without even depressing the brake, look in the reservoir. Add a ram and then turn the wheel and look in the reservoir. There just isn't any fluid in the reservoir to support a hydro ram. It will work but it won't last. I had to make a reservoir on my setup so it would work properly without burning pumps up.

This is old, but still an interesting read on one person's quest for a better pump on his excursion.
Super Duty Power Steering Upgrade | GTSparkplugs

I don't agree that someone shouldn't be working on a truck if they can't figure out how to port a steering box. Besides this isn't even what the OP was looking for. I think someone would quickly realize that it would be a mistake to put a hydro-assist kit on a 2WD truck for 35" tires.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.