Rear Add-A-Leaf Removal - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Suspension & Steering Discuss OEM & aftermarket suspension, lifts, air ride suspension, shocks, steering components, etc.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2014, 03:51 PM
POWERCHOKER

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Rear Add-A-Leaf Removal

I'm looking to lower the rear end of my truck about 1/2 an inch. I have a Pro Comp 6 inch lift, which I believe used an add-a-leaf for the rear suspension height.

Would removing a single leaf spring in the rear result in the change I'm looking for? If so, which one of these leafs should I remove?
Attached Thumbnails
Rear Add-A-Leaf Removal-img_0952.jpg   Rear Add-A-Leaf Removal-img_0966.jpg   Rear Add-A-Leaf Removal-img_0967.jpg   Rear Add-A-Leaf Removal-img_0970.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-19-2014, 04:32 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
The very bottom leaf that goes pretty much strait is the "add a leaf" that's part of the kit. Removing it may lower your truck more than the 1/2" you're after....You may want to consider swapping the block out for a smaller one.
Old 03-20-2014, 05:10 AM
POWERCHOKER

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS4Matt View Post
The very bottom leaf that goes pretty much strait is the "add a leaf" that's part of the kit. Removing it may lower your truck more than the 1/2" you're after....You may want to consider swapping the block out for a smaller one.
Oh I see. Thanks!
Old 03-20-2014, 05:26 AM

thats is the overload leaf it makes the rest of the inverted arch lay down on it under compression and it caries the load

the thickness of that spring is the minimum your truck will drop when removed ( like Matt mentioned ) also make sure you have enough threads on the ubolt to do accommodate the missing spring thickness ( supposed to use new u bolts )
but you will also loose some load capacity if it was included in the OEM rating and it will ride a little different
and honestly that looks like an oem leaf pack all 5 leafs, they probably used a block an add a leaf wouldn't add 6"

ps that that bottom leaf is part of the pack and has a through pin so you need to clamp the pack remove the pin , remove leaf,re pin usually requires a new pin

might be easier to raise the front the 1/2 inch IMHO

Last edited by ZMANN; 03-20-2014 at 05:42 AM.
Old 03-20-2014, 07:29 AM
POWERCHOKER

Yeah the guy at 4 Wheel Parts wasn't exactly sure what my lift components were off the top of his head. There very well could have been no add-a-leaf at all. I tried ordering a 1 inch coil spacer to raise the front, but he said I wasn't able to "stack" kits like that for I would need new shocks, tract bars, etc. I'm beginning to doubt his knowledge on what will work or not. I'm thinking about ordering something from PMF myself. The only thing stopping me is that 4 Wheel Parts will only install what they sell and PMF is not one of their vendors.
Old 03-20-2014, 06:44 PM
Premium Member

Are you sure that's a 6" lift? Most 6" lifts use a second block and the add-a-leaf. Maybe it was a bad camera angle, but that only looked like one block. When we lowered my friend's F-350 from 8 to 4, all we had to do out back was remove the extra block. His add-a-leaf from the 8" lift and the factory block were a good match for the front 4" lift springs.

I'm thinking that second spring up from the over load spring is an add-a-leaf. It doesn't exactly have the same weathering and it doesn't conform to the other springs. I had an add-a-leaf and it looked much like this spring does.

Finally, removing a leaf doesn't necessarily require a new pin. The existing pin can be shortened and new threads cut into it for reassembly. Not saying you should remove anything, but if you did.

Karl and his 2003 Souper Doody

Last edited by Karls03; 03-20-2014 at 06:53 PM.
Old 03-21-2014, 02:38 AM

Karl's right, the third spring down is the add. The bottom is factory, the overload. Sure you can remove it, only real downside is axle starts to move backwards as you adjust ride height like that (in wheel well). If you can remove blocks that is the best way to drop down.
Also these guys correct you don't get 6" from an add-a-leaf you get 1.5-2" so if your truck is probably 4" lift in rear from the leaf and it looks like you have 4" block.

1/2" adjustment? I think removing the leaf or changing the block going to do more then that. If you never tow you could remove that overload spring and that would drop you the thickness of it.

Last edited by jetjock15; 03-21-2014 at 02:44 AM.
Old 03-21-2014, 07:41 AM
POWERCHOKER

Yes, that is exactly right. I went under the truck to measure the block and it was indeed 4 inches. I happen to have another set of blocks from a previous leveling kit which measures just under 5 inches, so maybe the excess drop from removing the add-a-leaf could be corrected by installing the slightly larger block.

This method feels uncertain and overly complicated for the result I want. I should probably get in touch with PMF suspension and see what they suggest. I'm open to lifting the front end 1/2 an inch to get my desired stance. Even though it would have been convenient for 4 Wheel Parts to fix up the stance while they installed my rear traction bars which I ordered through them, I can always find another shop to install whatever method I choose to do. I would do it myself but I don't have the necessary workspace or equipment to get my truck up off the ground. Thanks to everyone for the input...
Old 03-21-2014, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dantron View Post
Yes, that is exactly right. I went under the truck to measure the block and it was indeed 4 inches. I happen to have another set of blocks from a previous leveling kit which measures just under 5 inches, so maybe the excess drop from removing the add-a-leaf could be corrected by installing the slightly larger block.

This method feels uncertain and overly complicated for the result I want. I should probably get in touch with PMF suspension and see what they suggest. I'm open to lifting the front end 1/2 an inch to get my desired stance. Even though it would have been convenient for 4 Wheel Parts to fix up the stance while they installed my rear traction bars which I ordered through them, I can always find another shop to install whatever method I choose to do. I would do it myself but I don't have the necessary workspace or equipment to get my truck up off the ground. Thanks to everyone for the input...
I would keep more springs instead of going to less springs and taller block. My vote is still get 4-6 50 lb bags of sand in the bed to get desired ride height and improved ride. That will give you time to figure out what exactly you want instead of changing it up all the time. It would save big time and only cost $20

Brett
Old 03-22-2014, 10:47 AM
POWERCHOKER

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyshakelford View Post
I would keep more springs instead of going to less springs and taller block. My vote is still get 4-6 50 lb bags of sand in the bed to get desired ride height and improved ride. That will give you time to figure out what exactly you want instead of changing it up all the time. It would save big time and only cost $20

Brett
You just gave me an idea..

What if I put 200-300 lbs of diesel fuel separeted in multiple sealed canisters and position them between front of the bed and the center mounted spare tire?

That way I could add extra weight as well as keep fuel reserves in my bed...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.