Suspension advice - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Suspension & Steering Discuss OEM & aftermarket suspension, lifts, air ride suspension, shocks, steering components, etc.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-11-2014, 01:52 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Suspension advice

looking to do Dual shock setup in the front, new steering stabilizer, would like opinions on dual stabilizers, I plow and have had a few guys tell me I should upgrade to a dual setup. Also have been thinking about a Hellwig rear sway bar. thoughts on that? Any companies/brands i should stay away from? what are your opinions on dual stabilizers? and what shocks would be best for a dual shock setup? I've been looking into Rancho, Icon, and Rough Country products.
I do quite a bit of off-roading for work, truck has a level via stiffer leaf springs. its a 2000 Ford F250 SCSB 4x4.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2014, 02:10 PM
Premium Member

Unless you're going to be driving with the snow plow on year round, I wouldn't do dual shocks. Also, on leaf spring trucks, a steering stabilizer only make the real problem. I've run 365s without a stabilizer without issue for 2~3 years before I was forced back to 315s.

Karl and his 2003 Souper Doody
Old 03-11-2014, 02:22 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

no it wont be year round, but in the past few years ive gone through so many shocks, with the amount of off-roading i do every day and these HORRIBLE Michigan roads. i just think its time to go to duals up front. 1. for the plow and 2. to keep the heat down so im not going through shocks once or twice a year.

so a steering stabilizer actually makes it worse? I dont know to much, but ive had other guys with plows tell me dual stabilizers make a difference. how does the stabilizer make it worse? just asking cause I dont know.
Old 03-11-2014, 02:55 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Duals are not necessary on a leaf spring truck. I have ran 40's without a stabilizer and it didn't make one bit of difference. It wouldn't be a bad thing to run either.

If you have a coil front end then I would say yes.

As far as a kit goes I like the icon dual stabilizer kit.
Old 03-11-2014, 03:24 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

no coils here, ill just stick with the single then, sounds like its not overly necessary, maybe if i have a little extra cash in the truck fund ill do it, cause they look pretty mean. for dual shocks in the front ive been thinking about Ranch0 7000's with Rough Country's mount, would that be a good choice of shock?
Old 03-11-2014, 03:33 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

duals up front is only gonna make it stiffer , Fox , Bilstein , Rancho , King , Rough country , , dont see how your going though shocks so fast
Old 03-11-2014, 04:13 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

im not looking for a smoother ride. i wouldnt mind if it was a little stiffer, itll help with the sagging in the front with the plow on it. 8-10 hours a day my trucks offroad back and forth through trails on a 200 acre evergreen farm 6 days a week, not to mention in the winter it gets a plow put on it and with the extra weight and these michigan roads the front shocks take a real beating. i have my reasons behind it and simply asking for advice on who's parts are good quality.
Old 03-11-2014, 04:29 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSbeanspowerstroke View Post
so a steering stabilizer actually makes it worse? I dont know to much, but ive had other guys with plows tell me dual stabilizers make a difference. how does the stabilizer make it worse? just asking cause I dont know.
I'm not saying it makes it worse, I'm saying it's a waste of money. I bent a steering stabilizer on a rock out wheelin right after I put it on. Being bent, it dramatically limited my radius and I never replaced it!

Coiled trucks can need them, but not ours.

Old 03-11-2014, 04:38 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karls03 View Post
I'm not saying it makes it worse, I'm saying it's a waste of money. I bent a steering stabilizer on a rock out wheelin right after I put it on. Being bent, it dramatically limited my radius and I never replaced it!

Coiled trucks can need them, but not ours.

gotcha, i must have misread what you said! i can see how they can be a pain, i do know some kits mount the stabilizers up from where stock location is hanging down.
Old 03-11-2014, 04:47 PM
Premium Member

If you're front is shaking or shimmying, I'd figure out what parts were worn before using a stabilizer as a band aid.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.