Is there an FAQ or informational thread for lifting? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Suspension & Steering Discuss OEM & aftermarket suspension, lifts, air ride suspension, shocks, steering components, etc.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-2014, 09:25 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Is there an FAQ or informational thread for lifting?

This is totally new to me. I have an '07 FX4 that I'd like to put a 2.5" or 4" lift on. I have stock 20" wheels with 275/65s. When it comes time to change the tires I plan on going slightly bigger but nothing too big. Also looking for comparison pics with stock next to 2.5" and 4" lifted trucks and pros/cons.

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2014, 06:00 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Search button man.
Old 03-03-2014, 08:30 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Yeah, already tried that. Too many generic topics.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 03-09-2014, 08:24 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Wheel, Tire, Lift Combos, post em up, show me what your workin with lol.

The above link might help.

You looking to stay stock other than bigger tires?

You doing the lift for looks or to change ride quality? Do you still need full payload?

You will probably get more reply hits once you start asking more specific questions and do a bit of reading. Yes there are a lot of general threads, but you are seeking general information, so you will get some answers if you do search and start picking through them. Most of the threads you will notice common themes emerge, depending on what your goals are. I only had to read through about 4 threads to zero in on the direction I was likely to go. Yes it takes time, but I've given you some information to get you rolling.......

You can also search my thread if it helps: Small lift required for 2014 F350 to run 20" wheels on 35's? Please post your pics.

I was starting in a similar place: unfamiliar with all of the choices out there, and not sure what to do. I did a LOT of my own reading / research and chatting with folks on the board here. In the end I think I will order up the 4.5" Carli Back Country 2.0 kit as I want to spend the money once and have a quality kit with better than stock ride.

Down-sizing to a 18" wheel will give you best ride quality everyone tells me. I'm still going to be stubborn and run a 20" for looks, but choosing the 4.5" kit so I can put a bit more tire on it.

If you PM me your email addy, I have made a VERY nerdy Excel sheet with breakdown of all my lift and wheel considerations. It might help you in your quest.

Any other specific questions you have, I am sure people will chime in. I am pretty new to the board but I am really impressed with how helpful everyone is on here.
Old 03-10-2014, 10:07 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Q-Dawg - Thanks for your response. I figured I'd ask for the FAQ since I didn't see a sticky and I'm sure these questions have been asked before.

I want both a bolder look and a little more ground clearance. I live in the New Orleans area. Never know when you have to leave the road to get around stuff as I learned navigating here after Hurricane Katrina. I wouldn't want to loose too much of the ride quality. Not that it's great with pothole laden streets anyway.

Not sure how much bigger (wider) I can go on a stock 20"x 8" wheel. Any idea? I don't need full payload either. Not sure how funny the truck would look if I went 4" up and stayed with the stock tire size.

Carli appears somewhat expensive compared to some of the other kits. I realize you get what you pay for. Not looking to break the bank.

I'll check out your links and PM you the email. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 03-11-2014, 07:42 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Few kits are likely to improve ride quality unless you replace rear blocks with different springs, or go with a Carli and their minipack (overload and block alternative)

You get what you pay for, as you stated, so I guess you will have to decide if cost and bigger tires is more important than ride quality.

Bigger tires should help a little bit, but going from 20's and downsize to 18's/larger tires will give the most benefit in ride quality other than doing leaf spring upgrades, according to everyone I have talked to that has done it.

BDS seems to be a popular choice for the budget minded. They are a popular choice here where I live, and I was very tempted to do their 4" control arm conversion lift with rear leaf upgrade. But by the time you option up the BDS 4" kit with some nicer shocks, it was getting pretty close to Carli prices. I decided on Carli after seeing how good their customer service is and watching product demos on youtube.
Old 03-12-2014, 09:49 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Here's a couple good resources PACKED with info:

Carli Suspension - Official Thread

Wheel and tire combos with our lifts:

Carli tire, wheel combos and pics
Old 03-12-2014, 10:07 AM

Carli and pure are awesome.

That said, I went with pure performance and love it. It rides better than stock and looks great. I upgraded to the triple threat with SS brake lines and mini packs. Easy install and very very happy.

Brett
Old 03-17-2014, 11:19 PM

After I recover from my bulletproofing escapade ill be going with the Carli commuter 2.0. Awesome set up you get leveled off, can clear the 35's nicely and your putting quality equipment where its most important. if I can swing it id like to do the pin top kings but money isnt growing on trees..yet. As stated above check the Carli thread they have photos and links to videos of the guys running their rigs from anza borrego to baja california... very impressive.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.