Steering Stablizer question?? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Suspension & Steering Discuss OEM & aftermarket suspension, lifts, air ride suspension, shocks, steering components, etc.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-07-2014, 05:41 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Steering Stablizer question??

Recently I hit a 90 pound dog with my Excursion. I bent the pro comp steering stabilizer . Took it off and the truck drove fine , steering would come back to center when I turned , everything seemed fine. Took it to performance 4x4 to replace the one I took off. The were kind enough to replace them both. When I drove it off the lot the steering was really hard to turn and it wouldn't go back to center on its own. Took it back and they replaced the steering gear box, still no good. Took the stabilizers off and it was fine but the power steering whined bad so I fixed that and everything drove perfect. Went back to 4x4 parts and they put the latest PRO COMP Steering Stabilizers on with new mount set up and it comes back to center but not near as smooth as it should. Is this normal? should I have to help it some? I never did with the old pro comp set up ? Just curious and any input from you guys would be great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-07-2014, 05:58 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

not sure whats going on with yours but i am thinking something else is still making the return to center hard and the stabilizers are just pushing it over the edge

poor dog ;-(

i have 3 stabilizers and no RTC issues

i would check the u joints I might even take the tie rod off and see if each knuckle moves easily when off the ground

the only other thing I can think of is your old procomp was toast and the new ones are just more noticeable

i run bilsteins an they are gas charged opposite direction mount so they actually push to return center
my third one is in the oem position and is just a regular dampner
Old 02-07-2014, 06:09 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

If lifted or leveled, you may want to check the caster setting. Not enough caster will cause it to not return well.
Old 02-08-2014, 04:10 AM
N.S.D.Q.

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I bet the original one was toasted before the accident. I'm running three up front as well. Fabtech Dirt Logic and a Bilstein in the OEM position. With 35" tires it will get back to center in a controlled fashion just not "fast".

With the EX find a big parking lot, make a few full lock turns in each direction. Maybe you just need to drive it more.
Old 02-08-2014, 11:17 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

The ones that were replaced were only about a year old. 30k miles or less. I run 35 BFG's , I will go to a vacant lot and do what was suggested. It has always had a lift prior and never had any problems with RTC. So I don't know what the deal is. Might just not be used to the new setup.
Old 02-08-2014, 11:56 AM
Premium Member

they may not be the correct size for your vehicle or installed wrong. cross the part number on your stabilizer to pro comps site to make sure they are for that vehicle. then check they are mounted correctly.
Old 02-08-2014, 12:31 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I will check the part # , 4x4 Parts sold the kit and installed it for me so I can only assume that its correct. ....
Old 02-08-2014, 01:03 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

It comes back to in a controlled return to center but not fast like you said. Is that the normal. Its a the new PRO COMP set up according to 4x4 Parts
Old 02-11-2014, 01:13 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I found out that the Steering Stabilizer is the new PRO COMP PRO RUNNER SERIES, pro comp said that it wont return to center as quick as it did before because its a bigger beefer setup .....any thoughts out there on this logic?
Old 02-11-2014, 01:33 PM
Premium Member

bigger bore, more fluid, longer lasting. handles the tires better.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.