Small lift required for 2014 F350 to run 20" wheels on 35's? Please post your pics. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Suspension & Steering Discuss OEM & aftermarket suspension, lifts, air ride suspension, shocks, steering components, etc.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2014, 12:36 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Lift Required 2014 F350, 20x9/20x10 Wheels, 35"-37" Tire? Please post your pics.

So I am already looking ahead to spring time and what aftermarket wheels/tires to run for summer use, but I am getting different answers from different people.

My truck is a 2014 F350 Platinum Crew, 6.7L, 4x4, FX4. For now, it is stock.

I plan on running a 20x10 or, probably a 20x12 wheel with some 35" rubber.

My question is:

Will I need to use a lift to clear 35" tires?

Some say yes, some no. My own gut feeling is that the real answer is "it depends", but I would like to collect some info on suspension lift (if any) wheel width and offset, tire choice.

If lift is required, I would like to keep it minimal (for cost and convenience), plus I don't like more lift than necessary for proper clearance. I am not opposed to 2-3" lift if needed, but there are so many choices out there: I am not really sure what I would need.

I think 2-3" lift with the flares would look OK, some of the flared trucks at stock heights look a tad goofy, but it would be nice to know if I can get away without the lift if I want to pursue these mods in different stages.

If I lift the front, I also want to lift the back, because I like the raked look, I like the steering caster to stay the same if possible, and I want to avoid saggy rear end while towing without resorting to air bags (which make it ride even rougher unloaded.)

Can I still use sway bars with some lift?

I've only had one other vehicle with lift ('96 4Runner with spacers and taller '99 springs / Tokico) and it actually rode more comfortably and better road manners after the lift. I did a lot of research beforehand, and it paid off.

If someone can also link me to some good resources for smaller lifts in the 2011 to 2014 F350 trucks, I would appreciate the help. This thing already feels like a bit of a tank on the road with the stock 20" wheels and being a real truck (not an SUV like I have driven in past), so I want to preserve the best ride quality possible.

I thought about 22's for a short time, but wheel selection is very limited, plus 22's ride too rough I am told, and I don't want a big lift.

I would like a more aggressive stance, using some pocket or street flares and having the wheel/tire combo to achieve "flush" or "nearly flush" fitment to the flares. Meaning I don't want to see any tire tread beyond the fender flare lip when the wheels are pointed straight. Some sidewall bulge is OK. Correct my terminology if I got it wrong, but this was my best guess on the correct terms.

Last edited by Q-DawgVFR; 03-09-2014 at 07:05 AM. Reason: Updated thread title to reflect current choices.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-05-2014, 12:59 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

You can do 35/12.5 on your stock suspension and stock wheels. If you want aftermarket wheels the back spacing makes the difference in lift or no lift. Carli makes an excellent leveling kit or they have a new commuter 2.5" lift. I personally have a pure performance lift but mine is 4". Also, carli offers a new radius arm that has clearance for tires if your set on a particular BS on a wheel.

In my opinion it's wrong to buy such a nice truck and then cheap out on the suspension upgrades should you choose to lift. Carli and pure are some of the best out there. Some like icon but they only address the rear suspension with a block. The others offer mini packs or full leaf replacements based on your budget/needs. A block will not net you any better ride characteristics.

Brett
Old 02-05-2014, 01:03 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Forgot about the other questions

Here's a link to carli

Carli Suspension - Ford Super Duty Suspension Systems

Sway bars are used with most every kit.

22s would hurt the ride more than 22s. 18s would help the most due to the larger sidewall available.

Brett
Old 02-05-2014, 06:42 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Something like those kits offered by Carli / Pure interest me for sure.

That's why I am wondering what I can get away with for now (no lift), or the other thought that I was thinking was to get the cheap spacer lift to start (it won't make ride quality any worse right?), then get something nice a little later.

After riding around in a co-workers Raptor, I have some appreciation of what a good suspension can do: we drove over huge potholes in Edmonton and it felt no worse than going over a tar crack in my F350!
Old 02-06-2014, 09:32 AM

I am running 35's on some 22x12's with a 4.5in lift. No rubbing but if it was any lower I am sure it would. If you did 20x10's a level kit would be fine, 20x12's better go up to atleast 4in.
Old 02-06-2014, 09:42 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWIFT View Post
I am running 35's on some 22x12's with a 4.5in lift. No rubbing but if it was any lower I am sure it would. If you did 20x10's a level kit would be fine, 20x12's better go up to atleast 4in.
what is your backspacing / offset?

I'm 100% positive I could run 20x10 on the F350 with no lift/no issues, but I am thinking I will probably go the 20x12 route (with flares), so now you've provided your lift info, can I please get more information on your wheel setup?
Old 02-06-2014, 10:20 AM

22x12 -44 offset

Old 02-08-2014, 06:20 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Running a 14 350 CCSB Platinum just down the road from you, I've got 325/60R20 (35.5" tall by 13.5" wide) tires on stock platinum rims, no lift no level no rub.

Had planned on doing a lift and flares prior to getting the truck, but the way it is now, it looks just right as is.

Your comment on Air bags, have you had them before? In a truck? I'm planning to put them in my older F350, but truly don't want to compromise the ride quality.

Your comment about the truck riding like a tank, this is the best riding truck we've had.
Old 02-09-2014, 05:51 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshA View Post
Running a 14 350 CCSB Platinum just down the road from you, I've got 325/60R20 (35.5" tall by 13.5" wide) tires on stock platinum rims, no lift no level no rub.

Had planned on doing a lift and flares prior to getting the truck, but the way it is now, it looks just right as is.

Your comment on Air bags, have you had them before? In a truck? I'm planning to put them in my older F350, but truly don't want to compromise the ride quality.

Your comment about the truck riding like a tank, this is the best riding truck we've had.

Ok, let me throw a monkey wrench into this one...

I own a 2014 F350 Platinum CCSB 6.7 with a Carli 2.5 Pintop and their radius arms. I am also running 325/60 R20 (Duratracs) on stock Platinum wheels as is Josh above and guess what - I rub the radius arms slightly!

Also, compared to the way it rode previously, in now rides like a Mercedes! :-)

Last edited by Midnight Stroker; 02-09-2014 at 06:54 AM.
Old 02-09-2014, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight Stroker View Post
Ok, let me throw a monkey wrench into this one...

I own a 2014 F350 Platinum CCSB 6.7 with a Carli 2.5 Pintop and their radius arms. I am also running 325/60 R20 (Duratracs) on stock Platinum wheels as is Josh above and guess what - I rub the radius arms slightly!

Also, compared to the way it rode previously, in now rides like a Mercedes! :-)
Can you elaborate a little more? Does it still ride like a truck or SUV?
is it even close to an expedition?
The Following User Says Thank You to 00X7.3PSD For This Useful Post:
strokethis04 (02-14-2014)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.