Hlep me understand why camber adj? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Suspension & Steering Discuss OEM & aftermarket suspension, lifts, air ride suspension, shocks, steering components, etc.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-03-2014, 03:54 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Hlep me understand why camber adj?

So I have read on here many times that you need to adjust your camber when you lift the front of these trucks (mine is 2013 CCSB). So if I put a leveling kit on I will need the alignment cams and probably an adjustable track bar or drop bracket to keep the axle centered. My question is: why? If the axle is raised ad centered via proper track bar bracket or extended bar why would it even need to be aligned? Learn me guys!

Steve
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-03-2014, 04:27 PM
N.S.D.Q.

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Hey I'm with you. I'm running 6" of lift with a drop trac bar bracket and adjustable trac bar. I've never needed an alignment. When I did get an alignment check they told me I was good to go.
Old 02-03-2014, 04:39 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

CASTER needs to be fixed on these trucks with certain lifts. If you just put a spacer or taller coil on the factory arms, you changed the angle that the axle rides down the road. This can lead to tons of steering problems.
The Following User Says Thank You to F250SixOH For This Useful Post:
Karls03 (02-03-2014)
Old 02-03-2014, 05:04 PM

Ok, I hear what you are saying but why? Now, I had a 04 F-250 with the front leaf springs and had both the 4 and 6" lifts on that truck with no alignment required. Probably a whole different animal but... Thanks for the help guys. I want to lift and just want to understand why its necessary??
Old 02-03-2014, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve M View Post
Ok, I hear what you are saying but why? Now, I had a 04 F-250 with the front leaf springs and had both the 4 and 6" lifts on that truck with no alignment required. Probably a whole different animal but... Thanks for the help guys. I want to lift and just want to understand why its necessary??
If the leafs were lifted evenly then the caster remained the same as stock. With the 05-07, when you lift the front, the radius arm pivots downward. This tips the axle forward and changes the caster. Basically draw a line through the center of the ball joints and when you tip the axle forward that axis tips forward as well. This decreased caster can cause the truck to wander or handle badly. The positive caster helps the steering center up and track well.

This is a good example.

Last edited by F250SixOH; 02-03-2014 at 05:27 PM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to F250SixOH For This Useful Post:
Karls03 (02-03-2014), Steve M (02-04-2014), ZMANN (02-04-2014)
Old 02-04-2014, 01:43 PM

I got ya. Makes since now I think. So Can I assume this is fixed a few different ways, some better than others?

1. Caster adjustment cams
2. Drop radius arm brackets
3. New radius arms

Why is it that some lift companies offer different components for their leveling kits besides cost? How tall can the front end be raised before you need a drop track bar bracket or longer track bar? Having the axle centered is very important I would think.
Old 02-04-2014, 01:59 PM

having the axle centered is nice but honestly you won't feel it in the handling except maybe in certain rut situations

since the axle is still perpendicular to the rear axle the wear and other concerns like dog tracking don't arise
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.