Icon adjustable track bar - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Suspension & Steering Discuss OEM & aftermarket suspension, lifts, air ride suspension, shocks, steering components, etc.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2014, 05:45 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Icon adjustable track bar

Anyone know the measurement for the track bar on the 7" icon lifts. My front axle looks a little off center toward the passenger side maybe an inch or so.

also was re centering my steering wheel and seem to have ran out of adjustments there also. i was rolling it forward , which turns the wheel to the left. had to go half a turn to get the steering wheel to center, but came up short about 2 inches....do i gotta go the other way all the way around or is there something else i need to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-03-2014, 11:14 AM
N.S.D.Q.

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I could measure mine but it's on 5.5"-6" up front. It could give you an idea at least. Did you run out of adjustment thread?? It might be the result of the trac bar length.

I recall being told you need to remove the sway bar end links and trac bar. Lift the truck till the front suspension is at full droop. The axle should align under the truck due to the shocks and radius arms. Then you lower the truck down till you are 3-4" high from full rest. Install the trac bar and let the truck all the way down. Check side-to-side. Then install the sway bar end links.
Old 02-03-2014, 02:58 PM
Premium Member

Yah i had to drop them to install the drop brackets, but its possible that i put them back on too soon....Ill fart around with it again when it warms back up. Too cold and snowy for me now.
Old 02-19-2014, 05:04 AM

if its offcenter towards the passenger side you need to make the track bar shorter. Every adjustment to the track bar will change where you steering wheel is when your wheels are straight (by changing the distance from the steering box to the passenger side knuckle).

I wouldn't bother getting the steering wheel straight untill you get your axle centered under your truck at ride height. The icon bar makes it easy, shouldn't need to disconnect anything, just undo the clamps on the adjuster, adjust it, tighten them back up. Icon uses the same bar for 2.5-7" lift, so im guessing at 7" you would be farther out on the threads (not unsafely far, but farther than a 2.5 or 4.5" lift would be)

bringing the axle back to center will gain you that 1" on the steering adjustment and might put you back in range, though i don't pretend to know anything about the suspension / steering geometry on 7" lift
Old 02-19-2014, 05:06 AM

also i found this thread because i have this bar, and the frame side joint / bushing seems to be spanked. (if i have a friend cut the wheel i can watch it move ~1/4 of an inch).

has anyone had this problem. does this joint need to be preloaded with crazy amounts of torque on the through bolt? was the bolt / hole in the frame supposed to be enlarged by the PO when they installed the bar and it wasn't? or do i just need to replace the joint? ($125 from icon)
Old 02-21-2014, 04:45 AM

all figured out. The stock bolt was the issue, the joint was fine.

stock bolt was supposed to be 20mmd, and it was worn down around 18mm (giving it slop in the frame bracket, and around the end). Also the threads were corroded so the torque value wouldn't have cooresponded to as much squeeze as the torque value would normall equal.

either way, a new m20x100mm bolt, nut, and proper torque and everything is GREAT. Just updating so people didn't get a false sence of icons quality.

their customer service is excellent as well. My bar is actually the donahue racing one and they verified that it hasn't changed and the part number 64032 (upgraded end) would bolt right in. They have been very helpfull to me, especially since i bought the truck with an unknown lift (that turned out to be a 4.5" donahue racing) and im figuring it all out with their help.
Old 02-27-2014, 05:13 PM
Premium Member

Anybody know if the 7" icon is made to just use the stock track bar? there is a drop bracket i put on, so i figure its for that purpose. just double checking.
Old 02-28-2014, 08:22 AM
Vintage Nakamichi Powered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Smokey View Post
Anybody know if the 7" icon is made to just use the stock track bar? there is a drop bracket i put on, so i figure its for that purpose. just double checking.
That is what I have on my truck now along with the stock track bar but the frame end is pretty sloppy at the bolt. The axle seems to be pretty well centered under the truck but I just ordered a new ball joint and a Pure Performance adjustable track bar. Its a solid 1.625 shaft and I know the axle will stay put. The oem track bar is a bit light as far as Im concerned, 38/15.50/18 tires certainly don't help.

So if it's centered and your not getting the death wobble run it till you wear it down. Because you will, I'm only at 88,000 and it's been done longer then I thought.
Old 03-01-2014, 01:59 AM
Premium Member

Its a brand new OEM one. I actually had it replaced due to death wobble and ball joints. Under warranty! Its just laying around, so i thought about using it and then later doing something like you suggested. actually think that i need to replace that ball joint as well.
Old 03-01-2014, 05:57 AM

If you replace the frame end mount and not the pitman arm (should need a bigger drop one) you should get horrendous bump steer. I can't believe a company (especially as good as icon) would be endorsing that
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.