Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Level or lift?

2K views 14 replies 4 participants last post by  luke7.3 
#1 ·
OK, this is probably an abused question that has been answered millions of times but I'm not sure which direction to go.
My tires rub the front bumper and sometimes fender well when taking sharp turns and they rub the front bumper every time I back up. So, would they both solve the problem? If so which is cheaper, easier, and looks best? I'm thinking the body lift route, but I also do not want to extend everything in the cab.
Thanks for any replies.

#2 ·
Body lifts are out nobody does that to these trucks anymore. Get yourself some thicker spring mount rubbers. 2" is what most guys go with if I'm not mistaken. I think the stick shocks will even still be long enough.
This route also retains the OEM ride. Super simple to do 30-60 minute job.
O crap you have the older body style. LoL get yourself a level kit for the front.

#3 ·
Haha, yeah, it's a lot harder to do some things to the OBS.
So with the level kit, is that just adding a leaf or two? Would I have to do the same to the back? I think it would look co cky as hell with just the front raised up though lol

#4 ·
With add a leaf the ride is gonna suck A$$! The only way to go on a level is with new leaf packs though that is the most expensive option. I just got my truck back today actually from the shop after installing a 2.5 level and the ride feels like a brand new truck. For $545 (with shipping) I got new leafs and 4 shocks plus all the hardware and I don't regret it though I have a 02 so price might be different.

I have yet to get the new tires which will be LT315/75/R16 I am expecting them to rub a little on full lock. I never heard of rubbing to affect how the truck performs though. An for the bumper though a lift/level will most likely stop it, you should consider trimming the bumper if you go with a bigger tire.

#5 ·
Yeah, I can't imagine how much more the ride would suck vs how much it sucks all ready. That doesn't sound like too bad of a deal, really! I imagine OBS trucks aren't too far off from that price.
I don't plan on getting larger tires as these 33's already cost me $900.

How much did the installation cost or did you do it?

#6 ·
If your staying with 33's then that should be fine as 33's are meant to go on a level. 33's seem a bit big for stock which is why it is rubbing. So a bumper trim probably won't even be needed. I got the kit from Amazon so look on there.

I brought it to a my dad's friend shop who did it for $350 but I also had other things done.

Ontop of the level I also added shock boots (doesn't affect the price i guess lol), dual steering stabilizer, and needed a new ignition switch.

The kit i got is the procomp one which is the easiest out of all the companies and should take about 4-5 hours. An here mechanics make about $70/hour give or take.

#7 ·
Also another cheaper thing to do would be to off-set your wheels (making them stick out more) so that way on turns they don't rub. But you would still need to trim the bumper then.

#10 ·
Just an fyi but making them stick out more will make the problem worse. Think about it, when they stick out further when you turn they ate going to move forward/backward more since the wheel centerline is now out further from the steering centerline.

Anyone with 12" wide wheels can attest to this. As this is my second truck with 20x12s with a big offset i cannot run as large if a tire as somebody with stock wheels. I'm only running a 33 right more with a level and it is very close to the bumper/cab, even tho stock tires measured over 34" tall. On my last truck (Dodge with the same setup) i had to cut the fender 1.5" and the front bumper to get them to clear.

#8 ·
OK, thats not too bad of a price, probably around $150-$200 just for the level to be installed.
I really want to avoid offsetting as the truck already gets enough rock chips, tar, and salt all over it from the current offset the wheels have. Yes, I think I shouldve went with 30's but they were literally the same price as 33's so I took them.
Thanks for the help guys I appreciate it

#9 ·
I also suggest getting fenders also. Since the truck has an off-set fenders that bolt or clip on like bushwackers etc, will eliminate the rocks flying everywhere etc.

I just did a little search and can't seem to find leveling packs for OBS models. I can only find add a leafs or full lift kits.

Add-A-Leaf:
Item #F46D-N / Skyjacker Suspensions

It's only $270 so you have funds left over to get new shocks all around which should increase the ride handling.

4 inch lift (smallest I could find) that includes new leafs which will improve ride quality to a brand new truck though it is pretty pricey. Though you will need to buy shocks on your own which is about and extra $200.

Item #F840TK-H / Skyjacker Suspensions

So it's really up to you. An if you do go with the 4 inch it would be wise to upgrade to 35's though 33's still work and you seem to have 16's or 17's so price difference on what you pay for tires now won't be to different for one size higher.

#11 ·
Thanks again for the advice. I will eventually get fender flares as I personally think they look good and will take care of the chipping problem.
I am going to go the add a leaf route because it's all I can afford ATM and is the easiest. I'm a college kid and can't afford new/bigger tires so can't be lifting it quite yet.

Just an fyi but making them stick out more will make the problem worse. Think about it, when they stick out further when you turn they ate going to move forward/backward more since the wheel centerline is now out further from the steering centerline.

Anyone with 12" wide wheels can attest to this. As this is my second truck with 20x12s with a big offset i cannot run as large if a tire as somebody with stock wheels. I'm only running a 33 right more with a level and it is very close to the bumper/cab, even tho stock tires measured over 34" tall. On my last truck (Dodge with the same setup) i had to cut the fender 1.5" and the front bumper to get them to clear.
Hopefully it wasn't too hard to cut the fender if it still doesn't clear after the add a leaf.

#14 ·
it wasn't too bad but then again we own a body shop. lol

I actually cut a pie shape out of the bottom of the fender on that truck and laid back the bottom 1.5" then welded it back together and worked/painted it back where you couldn't tell it was done unless I showed you. luckily I didn't have to do it to this truck because of the body lines the superduty's have compared to dodge.

heres a pic of the lower part of the fender after it was fixed and before paint with the tire turned at its closest position to the fender (one full turn of the wheel)

and heres the side shot with the wheel straight, you can see where the opening line is pushed back at the bottom.

Reactions: luke7.3
#15 ·
Wow! Its like you never even touched it! That looks really great, plenty of room, wish you guys were up in Illinois, Id have you do it in a hearbeat. Thanks for the pictures!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.