Icon 4.5" to a 7" - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Suspension & Steering Discuss OEM & aftermarket suspension, lifts, air ride suspension, shocks, steering components, etc.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-12-2014, 06:25 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Icon 4.5" to a 7"

Just started my new lift this afternoon. Jumped up to a 7" Icon from a 4.5

Not sure if anyone else has done this, but it looks like the radius arm brackets are exactly the same in both kits. and also the 2 drop brackets the front of the sway bar.

Didnt get to take any pictures....sorry, but I would like to see Icon do a little more of a pictoral on all the pieces...and label what all the bolts, washers kits go to... Other then that all went well...Pitman arm even came out without and busted knuckles or black eyes
Anyone have any pics or install how to's on the OUO rear traction bars with block. Id say most of the pieces i have left are going to be with it.

Update with terrible pics and donut looking 35's
huck2080 likes this.

Last edited by Big_Smokey; 01-23-2014 at 05:00 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2014, 04:51 PM
Premium Member

Nobody has done this.
Old 01-13-2014, 07:01 PM
Vintage Nakamichi Powered

Well Sorta,
I went from a 6" lift with drop down brackets to a 7" Icon coils but with Fabtech radius arm setup tossing the drop brackets. Did a rear spring mod where I put a 1/4 spacer on top of overload leaf along with a 3/4 plate under the leafs ho get entire truck up that extra inch.

The quality of ride was a huge improvement from both front and rear. But I also cheated a bit and poured 400 lbs of concrete into the spare tire to soften the rear suspension a bit more.
Truck rides as good as our 2003 Tahoe and I'm not kidding. There was also some frame stiffeners included but it rides nice.
How do you rate the ride ?

Last edited by mhatlen; 01-13-2014 at 07:56 PM.
Old 01-13-2014, 07:40 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I did it on my 09 and the radius drop brackets and sway bar drops form the 4.5 are the same on the 7". The way Icon told me was the 4.5" kit gets the suspension back to stock like specs with the radius arm drop brackets and the 7" is like adding a 2.5 leveling kit to the 4.5". And if you look at there 2.5" leveling kit you dont need radius arm or sway bar drop brackets for it. Outside of taller springs and shocks the only extra parts added to the 7" over the 4.5" are a pitman arm, and drop track bar bracket. I was surprised but it worked great, the only thing I added was PMF 3 link arms for caster adjustment and looks. I'm still rocking the same kit on my 06 but with the 06 front box kit vs the 09 box kit and a PMF bmc 1" spacer
Old 01-14-2014, 02:25 AM
Premium Member

Ok. That's good to know.
I've got two small aluminum looking pieces that say caster on them with two cotter pins.....kinda sad but don't know where they would go.

Ok. Now on to the traction bars then. Thanks for,the insight
Old 01-14-2014, 03:52 AM
N.S.D.Q.

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Okay. So what do you want to know?? I run the OUO stuff with a 7" block. Best advice is measure twice drill once. Make sure the adapter/slider is drilled properly, ensure the frame end bushings are installed properly, and maybe drill some weep holes at the end to help if there is any water collecting inside the traction bar.
huck2080 likes this.
Old 01-14-2014, 07:41 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Hopefully the traction bars came with a pretty dang good set of instructions.

A 90 degree drill with a short section of 2x4 to use for leverage and you can drill the holes very quickly. If you use an battery powered drill you could be there for a while.

Make sure you pay attention to the coupler at the splice. Quite a bit going on there.
Old 01-14-2014, 05:49 PM
Premium Member

Yah i read through the install instructions. Theres a bit to it, thats for sure.
Did you drill and tap the holes in the frame or use nuts to fasten...those were the two options, but seems to me our trucks with a boxed frame that you would almost have to drill and tap the holes..........this is for the frame mount portion.

That whole crush sleeve part makes me nervous, i know i can do it, but it freaks me out.....What kind of measurements did you all use for your bar length....I didnt notice what bed length your trucks are. Mine is the 6 3/4ft bed.
Old 01-15-2014, 04:44 AM
N.S.D.Q.

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
My 2006 has a C channel frame so I used the nuts. I recall checking the frame areas for obstructions, making sure they were the same distance away from the axle, then mounting the forward mounts first. Since the tubes slip fit one another you just need to make sure they will not hit anything at the forward end.

My bar length was determined by placement of the forward mounts. I don't recall the minimum amount the tubes need to overlap where they slip fit.
Old 01-16-2014, 05:04 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyAssault View Post
My 2006 has a C channel frame so I used the nuts. I recall checking the frame areas for obstructions, making sure they were the same distance away from the axle, then mounting the forward mounts first. Since the tubes slip fit one another you just need to make sure they will not hit anything at the forward end.

My bar length was determined by placement of the forward mounts. I don't recall the minimum amount the tubes need to overlap where they slip fit.
minimum per instructions is 8 inches.....I cant even recall my frame at this point.....had a fight with my ubolts....

hopefully this weekend i will be able to start the rear. its driving me crazy to not finish this thing. been too busy at work
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.