How long do factory coils last on 05 PSD? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Suspension & Steering Discuss OEM & aftermarket suspension, lifts, air ride suspension, shocks, steering components, etc.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2014, 03:21 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
How long do factory coils last on 05 PSD?

I am about to replace all 4 shocks with bilstein or rancho 9000's but I have been considering replacing the factory coils and 2.5" spacer at some point. My truck has 156K on it and I intend to keep it for a long time. I will be swapping the rear block out for an F350 block in the future as well..

Main Q, how long should I run the factory coil?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2014, 08:51 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxOutlaw View Post
I am about to replace all 4 shocks with bilstein or rancho 9000's but I have been considering replacing the factory coils and 2.5" spacer at some point. My truck has 156K on it and I intend to keep it for a long time. I will be swapping the rear block out for an F350 block in the future as well..

Main Q, how long should I run the factory coil?
Most 4x4 Super Dutys are too softly sprung as it is, plus the springs are made in Mexico and soften over time. Suggest looking at what coils you currently have, and increase at least 2 sizes. I went from 5,200 lb to 6,000 lb, and then to 7,000 lb coils. I love the 7,000s. They were very stiff at first but quickly softened-up. Look at the spring code on your door tag, or on the coil itself. The last two letters of the code indicate the strength of the coil.

AA=7000, AB=6500, AC=6000, AD=5600, AE=5400, AF=5200
Old 01-11-2014, 09:16 AM

Why not order some 2.5" progressive rate springs from carli?

Brett
Old 01-11-2014, 10:53 AM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
My spring code is AF. What would going to a AD or AC code do to the front height? I already run a 1.5" leveling kit and don't want to go any higher in the front
Old 01-11-2014, 05:23 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinner6.0L View Post
My spring code is AF. What would going to a AD or AC code do to the front height? I already run a 1.5" leveling kit and don't want to go any higher in the front
Matt-

My truck originally came with AF coils. It would bottom out turning into my suburban driveway. You could also tell by the bump stops it was bottoming-out fairly often.

If you went with ACs (6k), which is what the snow plow prep package comes with, you would be about .5" lower in the front than level (with your spring spacer removed). I wouldn't bother going to ADs, as you won't even know the difference from the AFs.

Currently I'm running AAs with a 1" lower Icon spacer. This made my truck nose high by about 1". I've since added a 1.5" soft ride add a leaf in the rear which really helps with heavy loads and our Lance camper.
Old 01-12-2014, 07:04 AM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I would ultimately like to go with a 3" block in the rear and still have my front about a 1/2" lower. I do not want to be totally level and I also don't want to step all the way up to 350 rear blocks. All I tow is a little bass boat with 12x4.80 tires and my drop on my receiver is already 3 1/4"

Last edited by sinner6.0L; 01-12-2014 at 07:10 AM.
Old 01-12-2014, 11:01 AM

Good input. I don't feel they are too soft at this time so maybe I am OK for now, unless the rough ride is from them being too soft... I will go forward with new shocks and address the 2.5" progressive coils at a later time and do away with the spacer then.

Thanks!
Old 01-13-2014, 09:52 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Post up once you get the new shocks installed and let us know how it effects your current ride. My truck seems to ride pretty stiff as well, so I'm considering switching out all four shocks. I'm also leveled and on 35's.
Old 01-13-2014, 10:08 AM

Will do. Going with Rancho 9000xl adjustable for 2.5" leveled from end. Stock height in back. Hope they will work well when I raise the back with F350 blocks.
Old 01-13-2014, 12:09 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by TxOutlaw View Post
Will do. Going with Rancho 9000xl adjustable for 2.5" leveled from end. Stock height in back. Hope they will work well when I raise the back with F350 blocks.
I got the item number RS999043 for the RS9000xl's on the front with the 2.5" lift, but the only option for the rear on their website was a lift of 5" or greater.

I have the F350 blocks, so I'd assume the stock ride height shocks would be ok since the 5" option would seem a little extreme. What was the model number for the rears and where did you buy them? Cheapest I'm seeing is Amazon for $95.70 a piece.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.