Removing rear lift - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Suspension & Steering Discuss OEM & aftermarket suspension, lifts, air ride suspension, shocks, steering components, etc.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-24-2013, 08:46 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Removing rear lift

I own a 01 f250xlt 4x4 7.3 and I bought it with what the guy said was a 6 or 6.5" pro comp lift kit and I'm putting the truck back to stock and have a few questions. First, I'm currently running double shocks and I can't find a part number anywhere for the stock single shock mount up front. Also can anyone tell me if if my truck has cool springs that come on the truck or is the suspension just leafs and shocks? I can't find a definite answer anywhere in that. Lastly if I can't find a single shock mount could I just mount 1 shock instead of 2 on the double shock hoop and it be ok? Last thing, does the front have any blocks with the leaf springs? And what block size goes on the rear? I appreciate all the help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-24-2013, 01:09 PM
Premium Member

The dual shock mount sometimes utilizes the OEM single shock mount. A single shock mounts with the bolt going through the eye perpendicular to the frame.

If the rear of your truck has a single factory block (inboard ear for bump stop) would indicate that it has a Pro Comp lift spring. Stacked blocks would indicate a factory spring with an add-a-leaf to achieve the lift.

The Pro Comp number still visible on the leafs. This would help greatly.

There are NO front blocks, EVER!

Don't forget that you'll need a stock steering arm and replace the sway bar links with OEM pieces. Also, remove the carrier bearing spacer if it's there.

As for rear OEM blocks, I think they are available in either 2" and 3" blocks.

Karl and his 2003 Souper Doody
Old 12-24-2013, 04:04 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I already have leaf springs off a f350 so I'm good there. My dual shocks are on hoop and go down to the leaf spring/axle. I still can't figure out if my truck stock has a coil spring or just shocks and leaf springs. The blocks look like 2" in the back with the lift currently on. By steering arm you mean pitman arm right? And whatis the carrier bearing spacing? Thanks for the help!
Old 12-24-2013, 04:51 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
I still can't figure out if my truck stock has a coil spring or just shocks and leaf springs.
you can't ?

it should be easy to tell ?
Old 12-24-2013, 05:07 PM

Since you have an 01' and its 4x4, your front suspension should be a leaf pack(stock is 2 leaves) and a single shock.
Being as though its an F-250 it should have the 2 1/2" rear block.
The carrier baring bracket is the piece that the driveshaft goes through, and attaches to the underside of the truck. On lifted trucks there is usually a spacer to lower the carrier baring to achieve the proper angle for the driveshaft.
In some cases the location where the dual shock mount attaches to the frame is the in the center of the loop, the bolt used to attach this bracket is usually the stock shock mount bolt.
And you will need a pitman arm, and depending on whether it has an adjustable track bar, or dropped track bar bracket, you may need a new one of those.
Hope this helps.
Old 12-24-2013, 05:10 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks for the sarcasm man, I appreciate it! I mean since my truck currently has dual shocks up front I'm not sure if the dual shocks make it to where coil springs are no longer needed. Am I wrong? I hope I am so I don't have to spend more in parts
Old 12-24-2013, 05:13 PM

no sarcasm
you have us confused by using the term coil spring on a truck that was a 4 wheel leaf sprung truck as OEM

some folks swap the coils from later truck in

dual shocks don't hold up a truck better than a single shock or no shock
Old 12-24-2013, 05:14 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Ok sorry for the confusion. I got the answers I need and I really appreciate the help!
Old 12-24-2013, 05:16 PM

cool !
Happy Holiday !
Old 12-24-2013, 05:18 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMC7.3EOD View Post
I already have leaf springs off a f350 so I'm good there. My dual shocks are on hoop and go down to the leaf spring/axle. I still can't figure out if my truck stock has a coil spring or just shocks and leaf springs. The blocks look like 2" in the back with the lift currently on. By steering arm you mean pitman arm right? And whatis the carrier bearing spacing? Thanks for the help!
Aye aye, steering arm and steering arm mean the same thing.

The carrier bearing is mid driveshaft, if there is anything between the carrier bearing and the truck, that would Be what I'm talking about.

I have those same spring in the back of my truck. Taking our the block would make it a 4" lift, match it up with a 4"front springs, throw on some 35s and see how you like it. I say this because the first thing most people want from a stock ride height is a leveling kit of some kind. Before you start the suspension lift roller coaster that I went on, see how you like a 4" lift. There's a big difference between a 4 and 6 inch lift.

Karl and his 2003 Souper Doody
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.