help me smooth out my ride - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Suspension & Steering Discuss OEM & aftermarket suspension, lifts, air ride suspension, shocks, steering components, etc.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-13-2013, 04:53 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
help me smooth out my ride

Just picked this guy up a few weeks back. 2012 6.7 XLT. Came with the lift and pro comp all terrains from the dealer. My original plan was to get a stock truck and lift it myself to get the best ride possible, but I couldnt pass up this deal, and have it all covered under one warranty!

I believe its got a rough country 6" lift (dealer couldnt find paperwork on the lift). It rides like a truck for sure, what yall suggest as far as a better set of shocks than the rough country ones that come with the lift? Not looking for an ICON quality ride as im sure their springs are a factor in ride quality. Just ned a shock that absorbs the bumps a tad better and doesnt make the truck wobble to a fro when crossing rail road tracks of something of that nature.

Thanks!!

Pic in sig
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-13-2013, 05:02 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

You're better off saving your money up and purchasing a replacement, higher quality kit, when you can. The money you put into new shocks won't offset just how little improvement you would see.
Old 11-13-2013, 01:26 PM
Vintage Nakamichi Powered

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigred3297 View Post
You're better off saving your money up and purchasing a replacement, higher quality kit, when you can. The money you put into new shocks won't offset just how little improvement you would see.
I agree.
I had a rough country lift on my truck as well when I bought it.

Ride was terrible, bad enough to throw out springs and shocks and drop brackets.
Put on ICon 7" springs actually made by Donahue Racing and Rancho RS9000XL adjustable shocks. Also installed Fabtech radius arms along with some rear suspension mods.
The rear spring pack I took the pack apart and installed a 3/8 shim (2-1/2x4")on top of the overload leaf to give 3" of free travel before hitting the stiff overload leaf.

The following work in my opinion resulted in the best riding F250 truck possible. It damn near rides better then my wife's Tahoe.

Good luck with it and again shocks won't save you.......

Oh yea one more mod: I drilled two 4" holes in sidewall of spare tire and poured in 400 lbs of concrete and rehung under the bed. No more empty truck bed ride.
Cheers

Last edited by mhatlen; 11-13-2013 at 01:31 PM.
Old 11-13-2013, 06:44 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by awg8 View Post
Just picked this guy up a few weeks back. 2012 6.7 XLT. Came with the lift and pro comp all terrains from the dealer. My original plan was to get a stock truck and lift it myself to get the best ride possible, but I couldnt pass up this deal, and have it all covered under one warranty!

I believe its got a rough country 6" lift (dealer couldnt find paperwork on the lift). It rides like a truck for sure, what yall suggest as far as a better set of shocks than the rough country ones that come with the lift? Not looking for an ICON quality ride as im sure their springs are a factor in ride quality. Just ned a shock that absorbs the bumps a tad better and doesnt make the truck wobble to a fro when crossing rail road tracks of something of that nature.

Thanks!!

Pic in sig
What are you running for wheels/tires/tire pressure?

The combination of poor wheel/tire/pressure choice combined with a stiffly sprung suspension will make for a rough ride regardless of shock absorber choice. The shocks can only do their job if they are allowed to move. If the springs are to stiff as well as the wheel/tire combo it is impossible for a shock to make the ride much softer.
Old 11-13-2013, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyd Ram View Post
What are you running for wheels/tires/tire pressure?

The combination of poor wheel/tire/pressure choice combined with a stiffly sprung suspension will make for a rough ride regardless of shock absorber choice. The shocks can only do their job if they are allowed to move. If the springs are to stiff as well as the wheel/tire combo it is impossible for a shock to make the ride much softer.
Agreed. Most people run their tires at the recommended psi and this is usually at a weight rating that is too high for an unloaded truck. For example, my 40" mud grapplers are recommended to be ran at 60psi for 4200lbs. This is WAY too much so I run the fronts at 45 and the rears at 40. There's a math equation involved to find out how much psi but I just used the chalk test
Old 11-13-2013, 06:55 PM

35x12.5x20 pro comp all terrains. Running at the recommended rating of 65psi
Old 11-13-2013, 07:01 PM

def drop the psi. my toyo 37's call for 50 psi, I run 35 around town, 45 on road trips, and 50 when towing.
Old 11-14-2013, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhatlen View Post
I agree.
I had a rough country lift on my truck as well when I bought it.

Ride was terrible, bad enough to throw out springs and shocks and drop brackets.
Put on ICon 7" springs actually made by Donahue Racing and Rancho RS9000XL adjustable shocks. Also installed Fabtech radius arms along with some rear suspension mods.
The rear spring pack I took the pack apart and installed a 3/8 shim (2-1/2x4")on top of the overload leaf to give 3" of free travel before hitting the stiff overload leaf.

The following work in my opinion resulted in the best riding F250 truck possible. It damn near rides better then my wife's Tahoe.

Good luck with it and again shocks won't save you.......

Oh yea one more mod: I drilled two 4" holes in sidewall of spare tire and poured in 400 lbs of concrete and rehung under the bed. No more empty truck bed ride.
Cheers
which over load leaf are you refering too? Picture?
Old 11-14-2013, 08:27 AM

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Agree adjust the air pressure. That said better shocks will help.

FYI Donahue Racing never made coils and neither does Icon, Icon has them made to their specs.
Old 11-14-2013, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by awg8 View Post
35x12.5x20 pro comp all terrains. Running at the recommended rating of 65psi
I would air those suckers down, try running 45 in the front and 40 in the rear. That should help out a lot. If they start to wear funny adjust the pressure.

I have 37" Toyo mt's , I run mine at 42 front and 38 rear. I have 50,000 miles on them with even wear. I only air them up to max PSI when hauling or towing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.