help me smooth out my ride - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Suspension & Steering Discuss OEM & aftermarket suspension, lifts, air ride suspension, shocks, steering components, etc.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old 11-13-2013, 04:53 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 67
Thanks: 2
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
help me smooth out my ride

Just picked this guy up a few weeks back. 2012 6.7 XLT. Came with the lift and pro comp all terrains from the dealer. My original plan was to get a stock truck and lift it myself to get the best ride possible, but I couldnt pass up this deal, and have it all covered under one warranty!

I believe its got a rough country 6" lift (dealer couldnt find paperwork on the lift). It rides like a truck for sure, what yall suggest as far as a better set of shocks than the rough country ones that come with the lift? Not looking for an ICON quality ride as im sure their springs are a factor in ride quality. Just ned a shock that absorbs the bumps a tad better and doesnt make the truck wobble to a fro when crossing rail road tracks of something of that nature.

Thanks!!

Pic in sig



2012 f250 6.7
6" rough country lift
37" trail grapplers
20x12 fuel hostage
awg8 is offline  
post #2 of 15 Old 11-13-2013, 05:02 AM
Compression Ignition Addict
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Maryland
Posts: 686
Thanks: 10
Thanked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
You're better off saving your money up and purchasing a replacement, higher quality kit, when you can. The money you put into new shocks won't offset just how little improvement you would see.

11 F250 CCSB King Ranch

Gearhead tunes, No Limit Stage 2, No Limit Block Off, 5" exhaust, CTS

2.5" Carli Commuter, 37x12.5R20 Toyo RTs, Stock wheels


01 Ex 7.3l Limited

Swamps tunes, 6637, 4" exhaust, 6.0 trans cooler, Hellwig rear swaybar, CTS

06 headlights
bigred3297 is offline  
post #3 of 15 Old 11-13-2013, 01:26 PM
Premium Member
 
mhatlen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Central Valley, Sierra Mountains, California
Posts: 2,627
Thanks: 41
Thanked 137 Times in 126 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 295 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigred3297 View Post
You're better off saving your money up and purchasing a replacement, higher quality kit, when you can. The money you put into new shocks won't offset just how little improvement you would see.
I agree.
I had a rough country lift on my truck as well when I bought it.

Ride was terrible, bad enough to throw out springs and shocks and drop brackets.
Put on ICon 7" springs actually made by Donahue Racing and Rancho RS9000XL adjustable shocks. Also installed Fabtech radius arms along with some rear suspension mods.
The rear spring pack I took the pack apart and installed a 3/8 shim (2-1/2x4")on top of the overload leaf to give 3" of free travel before hitting the stiff overload leaf.

The following work in my opinion resulted in the best riding F250 truck possible. It damn near rides better then my wife's Tahoe.

Good luck with it and again shocks won't save you.......

Oh yea one more mod: I drilled two 4" holes in sidewall of spare tire and poured in 400 lbs of concrete and rehung under the bed. No more empty truck bed ride.
Cheers


2006 F250 LARIAT CCSB 4X4
ARP Studs, O-Ringed Heads
X4 PHP 65 HP Custom Tow Tune
Atlas40 or Atlas80 Ficm Tune
CAT EC-1 Coolant, IPR Coolant filter
BPD Waterpump, BPD way of thinking
Fass-125 to a Adjustable Pressure Reg.
Turbo-back SS 4" pipe, Corsa Muffler -7" Tip
6.4 starter, DC Power 270 amp alt
Die Hard Platinum AGM all 2/0 Cables
Fabtech Radius Arms
7" lift w: Icon Progressive Coil Springs
2008 up Carli/Deaver rear springs
All riding on some Fatty-Daddy 38/15.50/18 Toyo's

Last edited by mhatlen; 11-13-2013 at 01:31 PM.
mhatlen is offline  
post #4 of 15 Old 11-13-2013, 06:44 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor
 
Skyd Ram's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Traverse City, MI
Posts: 1,898
Thanks: 179
Thanked 124 Times in 117 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by awg8 View Post
Just picked this guy up a few weeks back. 2012 6.7 XLT. Came with the lift and pro comp all terrains from the dealer. My original plan was to get a stock truck and lift it myself to get the best ride possible, but I couldnt pass up this deal, and have it all covered under one warranty!

I believe its got a rough country 6" lift (dealer couldnt find paperwork on the lift). It rides like a truck for sure, what yall suggest as far as a better set of shocks than the rough country ones that come with the lift? Not looking for an ICON quality ride as im sure their springs are a factor in ride quality. Just ned a shock that absorbs the bumps a tad better and doesnt make the truck wobble to a fro when crossing rail road tracks of something of that nature.

Thanks!!

Pic in sig
What are you running for wheels/tires/tire pressure?

The combination of poor wheel/tire/pressure choice combined with a stiffly sprung suspension will make for a rough ride regardless of shock absorber choice. The shocks can only do their job if they are allowed to move. If the springs are to stiff as well as the wheel/tire combo it is impossible for a shock to make the ride much softer.



Carli Suspension | Pure Performance Suspension | Bilstein Shocks | Fox Shocks
Dynatrac | Flo Pro Exhaust| aFe Power | S&B | BMF | Fuel | Air Dog | Amp Research
Trailready Wheels | Spicer | ARP | REV-X | RIGID Industries | KD Fabworks | Baja Designs


8LUG Truck Gear
888-886-2480
Find us on Facebook
Skyd Ram is offline  
post #5 of 15 Old 11-13-2013, 06:55 PM
Compression Ignition Addict
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Maryland
Posts: 686
Thanks: 10
Thanked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyd Ram View Post
What are you running for wheels/tires/tire pressure?

The combination of poor wheel/tire/pressure choice combined with a stiffly sprung suspension will make for a rough ride regardless of shock absorber choice. The shocks can only do their job if they are allowed to move. If the springs are to stiff as well as the wheel/tire combo it is impossible for a shock to make the ride much softer.
Agreed. Most people run their tires at the recommended psi and this is usually at a weight rating that is too high for an unloaded truck. For example, my 40" mud grapplers are recommended to be ran at 60psi for 4200lbs. This is WAY too much so I run the fronts at 45 and the rears at 40. There's a math equation involved to find out how much psi but I just used the chalk test

11 F250 CCSB King Ranch

Gearhead tunes, No Limit Stage 2, No Limit Block Off, 5" exhaust, CTS

2.5" Carli Commuter, 37x12.5R20 Toyo RTs, Stock wheels


01 Ex 7.3l Limited

Swamps tunes, 6637, 4" exhaust, 6.0 trans cooler, Hellwig rear swaybar, CTS

06 headlights
bigred3297 is offline  
post #6 of 15 Old 11-13-2013, 06:55 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 67
Thanks: 2
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
35x12.5x20 pro comp all terrains. Running at the recommended rating of 65psi
awg8 is offline  
post #7 of 15 Old 11-13-2013, 07:01 PM
Compression Ignition Addict
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Trabuco Canyon SoCal
Posts: 183
Thanks: 3
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
def drop the psi. my toyo 37's call for 50 psi, I run 35 around town, 45 on road trips, and 50 when towing.


See you in the Dirt!
76hauler is offline  
post #8 of 15 Old 11-14-2013, 07:44 AM
Compression Ignition Addict
 
banshee-rider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Scottsdale,AZ
Posts: 256
Thanks: 4
Thanked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhatlen View Post
I agree.
I had a rough country lift on my truck as well when I bought it.

Ride was terrible, bad enough to throw out springs and shocks and drop brackets.
Put on ICon 7" springs actually made by Donahue Racing and Rancho RS9000XL adjustable shocks. Also installed Fabtech radius arms along with some rear suspension mods.
The rear spring pack I took the pack apart and installed a 3/8 shim (2-1/2x4")on top of the overload leaf to give 3" of free travel before hitting the stiff overload leaf.

The following work in my opinion resulted in the best riding F250 truck possible. It damn near rides better then my wife's Tahoe.

Good luck with it and again shocks won't save you.......

Oh yea one more mod: I drilled two 4" holes in sidewall of spare tire and poured in 400 lbs of concrete and rehung under the bed. No more empty truck bed ride.
Cheers
which over load leaf are you refering too? Picture?

2005 FORD F250 CREWCAB LARIAT
9 INCH LIFT
37x13.50x20 TOYO M/T'S
PMF TRACTION BLOCKS AND BARS
MBRP 4 INCH TURBO BACK
ARP'S,STAND PIPE'S, DUMMY PLUGS ALL THE UPDATES
SCT LIVEWIRE SRLxx
2008 SUPERDUTY TAILLIGHTS
OPT7 LED HEADLIGHTS AND FOG'S, 50 INCH LED BAR
AMP RESEARCH POWER STEP'S
AIR BAG'S TRAIN HORNS AND AIR COMPRESSOR
CUSTOM STEREO
XDP COOLANT FILTER
PSC HYDRAULIC ASSIST STEERING
RCD EGR DELETE
EXCURSION CENTER CONSOLE
2007 REAR VIEW MIRROR AND MIRROR SWITCH UPGRADE
banshee-rider is offline  
post #9 of 15 Old 11-14-2013, 08:27 AM
Compression Ignition Addict
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Wellington Nevada
Posts: 8,706
Thanks: 1
Thanked 42 Times in 41 Posts
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Agree adjust the air pressure. That said better shocks will help.

FYI Donahue Racing never made coils and neither does Icon, Icon has them made to their specs.
CT Performance, Inc. is offline  
post #10 of 15 Old 11-14-2013, 08:32 AM
Member
 
STROKINFX4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Southern California
Posts: 72
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by awg8 View Post
35x12.5x20 pro comp all terrains. Running at the recommended rating of 65psi
I would air those suckers down, try running 45 in the front and 40 in the rear. That should help out a lot. If they start to wear funny adjust the pressure.

I have 37" Toyo mt's , I run mine at 42 front and 38 rear. I have 50,000 miles on them with even wear. I only air them up to max PSI when hauling or towing.
STROKINFX4 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome