clunkin - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Suspension & Steering Discuss OEM & aftermarket suspension, lifts, air ride suspension, shocks, steering components, etc.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-06-2013, 08:25 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
clunkin

front end clunks in first and second and third everytime I hit the gas no matter how hard or soft I hit it... would bad leaf spring bushings cause this cause mine are weathered and cracked bad
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-06-2013, 08:52 PM
Behavior Modificationist

It could be anything from bushings to a U-joint (and anything in between). The best thing to do is safely try to replicate it in the driveway with somebody else in the truck.

Throw your truck info in your signature
Old 11-06-2013, 09:38 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

ok thing I did my sig right and ive tried all the other things ive searched on here like loose ubolts and chit like that and nothing was loose.... I just need it fixed cause I drive 5 1/2 hours to see my gf a lot and I don't need it breaking down, oh and the dealership I got it from over greased the steering arms? and blew the rubber seals.. could that cause a sound like that?
Old 11-06-2013, 09:58 PM
Behavior Modificationist

I wanna say that's a common issue (people over-greasing and blowing that rubber seal). If on a turn, I would lean towards that being a possibility of a clunk, but it's likely sway bar bushings, a bad U-joint, or even ball joints.

Maybe if you don't have anybody available, just run through the front end and see what's what. Give everything a little wiggle, inspect bushings and grease any zerks that may be down there. Jack up the front end, turn the wheel back/forth and feel for any clunks, then while still jacked up and on stands, get out and try to move your entire wheel up/down on both sides. Feel for any movement. It's really just a guessing game until you get to narrow it down a little more. I have a pop in mine currently (thinking it's sway bar bushings). Will be looking at it Friday.

Sig looks good

Oh, one more thing: Are you sure it's coming from the front? A lot of times, a pop or clunk can be felt in the driveline (causing some to not know where it's coming from). If you can't find anything in your front end, it could be your slip joint on the driveshaft. The splines may just need greasing.

Last edited by AgTires4295; 11-06-2013 at 10:03 PM.
Old 11-07-2013, 12:14 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

yea that's what I was reading about the slip joint and it sounds from the front but could be front or middle and the slip joint? that's where the two drive shafts meet or is that where it goes into the transfer case?
Old 11-07-2013, 12:51 AM
Behavior Modificationist

It's just after the carrier bearing. Youll see the rubber boot that covers it. Heres a shot of what it looks like: http://www.competitiondiesel.com/for...006_Large_.jpg
Old 11-10-2013, 04:46 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I have to grease my slip joint about every 6 months. if I don't I will start to get a "thud" on acceleration and also when I come to a complete stop it will thud. If your truck has a 2 piece drive shaft I would give that a check.

I replaced my trans mount one time thinking that was what my noise was coming from (for $13, it wasn't a bad idea to replace the stock one anyways!) But it ended up being the slip joint was froze so when the axle would wrap slightly on accel or decel it would thud.
Old 11-10-2013, 04:50 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

That is exactly what happens on mine so I will check it as soon as I can since I'm working 7 days a week right now, what would be the best grease to use on it as for a lithium based grease? Since I know some grease isn't good in the cold and so on.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.