Stacked lift Blocks? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Suspension & Steering Discuss OEM & aftermarket suspension, lifts, air ride suspension, shocks, steering components, etc.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-03-2013, 06:48 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Stacked lift Blocks?

I just bought a 2003 F250 King Ranch with the 6.0. It has what I believe to be either a 4" or 6" lift on it. My question is why does it have stacked blocks in the rear?
This seems unsafe to me and I was wondering if I could remove the stock block off the top without ant adverse effects?
The truck sits with a rake right now that I would like to get rid of so that
1"5/8 loss t the rear wouldn't be that bad.
Any help would be great thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-03-2013, 07:16 AM
Vintage Nakamichi Powered

The upper factory block has the bottom out ear on it that catches the rubber snubber when truck is overloaded. If you can configure it so that the springs max out and the right deflection without exceeding travel amount go for it.
You risk damaging the spring pack if springs get overloaded. They can bend and when they do they don't come back.

The most important thing there is tight u-bolts holding the rear axle to leaf springs. You can pull the upper oem blocks just be mindful that springs do have a maximum deflection.
Old 11-03-2013, 08:32 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Stacking blocks is not the most safe thing out there. The reason that companies do it is to retain the bump stop ears. If you think about it though most lifts do not use the bump stops as they come with either taller springs or taller blocks to replace the factory blocks. This spaces the frame away from the axle where the bump stop is so they are no longer used.
Old 11-03-2013, 03:11 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I do not like the stacked blocks. It seems funny to me that all I have ever heard is that blocks do not ever go in the front of a ruck and they should never be stacked.
As for me the only trucks I have ever lifted are my Jeeps that are intended to be my off road toys so blocks have never been an option to me. When I bought this last week it was one of the first things that I noticed. This truck will never see way serious off road action I have a jeep for that.
So maybe I will take it out and see if there are any adverse reactions to it. It will mainly be driven on the streets so I would not think there would be unless I were to over load it as previously mentioned.
Old 11-03-2013, 03:22 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

The issue with stacking blocks is that they are simply sitting on top of each other without anything to hold them together minus the u-bolt clamping down on them. Get enough vibration or flex in there and you're gonna have a bad time. This is one of the reasons I really like my blocks that came with the RC lift I have. They use the u-bolts to bolt the bottom of the block to the axle and then also use u-bolts to bolt onto the spring pack along with centering holes on the top and bottom to locate them perfectly into place. Very well designed.
Old 11-08-2013, 05:36 AM
Premium Member

My truck is lifted 6-8" I can't tell by the previous owner. It's got a block that looks factory that's 2" IIRC and some aftermarket 5.5" one on there. And factory leaves, I've replaced 2 leaves on the passenger side and 1 on the drivers. Currently have another one broke on the passenger side.

It was scary when it let a buddy drive my truck and when he stalled it the front diff pitched forward at least 15degrees. Very very hard on springs

So I found some 4" springs and PMF's shackle flip kit. So I can get rid of all the blocks.
Old 11-08-2013, 07:55 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

That doesn't sound fun at all.
I think for now I am going to remove the top block as this will not be an off road truck (I have a Jeep for that) and I am not to concerned about the bump stops as I also do not tow anything that heavy.

My future plan I think will be remove the blocks all together and put on leveling springs in the front. The problem is that I have to buy all new shocks for a total of 6 so it is going to be expensive.

I have a second knee surgery coming up so a 4" lift might be a bit much for to deal with long term.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.