OEM shocks on leveled truck a bad mistake? HELP! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Suspension & Steering Discuss OEM & aftermarket suspension, lifts, air ride suspension, shocks, steering components, etc.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-02-2013, 04:39 PM
Addicted to the Rattle

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
OEM shocks on leveled truck a bad mistake? HELP!

So without thinking about it I installed oem shocks on all four corners of my truck which, according to the dealer I bought it from has been leveled. Am I in for trouble? Do I need to replace the shocks with appropriate lenght shocks? My truck is an 04 f250 cclb 4x4 with 143000 miles and the oem shocks have been on there for about 5000 miles. HELP!

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-02-2013, 04:49 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
leveling is a 1.5" perch, shouldnt really need a lifted shock unless your shocks are over extended.
Old 11-08-2013, 07:25 AM
Addicted to the Rattle

I wasn't sure because my cab seems to move around a lot over speed bumps and through street gutters and ruts. Seems like the shocks are too soft or something, or they travel too much at low speeds and cause the tires to rub when they compress. I feel like that shouldn't happen.

Old 11-08-2013, 09:14 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Those symptoms sound more like they are coming from the brand of shocks you are using.

But they could be blown due to not being long enough. When you have shocks that are too short, they are extending all the way when you hit bumps which will not let the axle go down far enough to give a smooth ride so the axle ends up yanking on the shock constantly which can break the shock, or even end up tearing the shock off the mounts in severe situations.

I would suggest getting a set of quality shocks that are the correct length for your leveling kit, you should notice a big difference in the ride!

Your rear shocks should be fine as far as length goes, the fronts are the issue.
Old 11-08-2013, 04:20 PM
Addicted to the Rattle

That makes a lot of sense! They are fomoco motorcraft shocks, for stock height, and not the fancy ones, just the regular ones to fit model and year. Looks like I'll be buying some new shocks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.