Help me decide 2014 F250 Super Duty Dealer Upgrades - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Suspension & Steering Discuss OEM & aftermarket suspension, lifts, air ride suspension, shocks, steering components, etc.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-31-2013, 05:32 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Help me decide 2014 F250 Super Duty Dealer Upgrades

Decided to join the most active forum for Ford Trucks in hopes of getting some ideas.. My First new Diesel coming 2014 F250 Lariat 6.7, and my dealer is good enough to help me build the truck and roll everything together in one monthly payment.. As sharp as the factory truck is sitting in the dealer lot, my egos getting the better of me and think i want to lift, and my dealer feels a 4" is the way to go, staying with 18"X35", and although my 2010 F150 Lariat look pretty sharp with the front levelling blocks and 285/55/20 BF Goodrichs, A/T's KO, I'm now thinking i want Mo' in this new ride..

What do you guys think for this 53yr old kid, that a 4" or 6" with 35" or 37" and also what lift kit?? I'd like to think they're be no cutting or welding for the install, and would also like to keep costs to a minimal as lame as that sounds.. Do I need a 4 link with Reservoir shocks to maximize mostly street driving... My BF's now even with low pressures under 30lbs still ride rough, and wonder if decent shocks will help new ride..

Also thoughts on what Offset on Undecided wheels, but love the look of tires sticking out past body, but also want Bushwacker flares.

Realizing if I go with a 37" tire, they only seem to come in Mud terrian and not and A/T, and I will Not own another pair of Nittos, i had Mud Grapplers on an 06' sierra and they were the worst wearing tires I've ever owned, but like Nittos..

what rim and wheel size do you feel looks best without the city kid balony skin low profile tires....yuck.. I'm aware the larger diameter wheel/tire= more money, but I've seen some 22" on ford gassers that look really sharp..

In closing i'm looking for best choice for ease of install, cost effective, smoothest ride and good looking lift kit, 4or6" ??

18,20 or 22" wheels and tire choices with some offset to give that beefy look

Please share your thoughts, thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-31-2013, 05:38 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

6 inch lift made up of components from Precision Metal Fab (PMF), 37s, Toyo MTs are a good tire, and 20 inch wheel. I personally think that this is the best proportional match for a lift and wheel/tire combo for a super duty.
Old 10-31-2013, 05:49 PM
Don't you worry about it

I will tell you that I got a 4" and kind of wish I went ahead with a 6".
Old 10-31-2013, 08:30 PM

absolutely no denying the truck will look sharper with the 6" and 37's but now feeling apprehensive knowing it will be driving on pavement for 99.9% of its life, then the extra rolling mass due to the sheer weight of tire wheel combo....Knowing I lost 2 Ltr/100km from 11Ltr/100km to 13Ltr/100km when i went from the 32.7" (275/55/20) pirelli scorpions up to 35" (285/55/20) when i installed the BF's is now a seemingly serious consideration in attempting to make a practical decision, one I dont want to regret later on...

Although going from a 4" lift and 35's to a 6" and 37" will in effect raise the overall truck 3" higher but the space showing in wheel well will remain the same..

Tough decision here, but hey, its a good one
Old 10-31-2013, 10:03 PM

I ended up going with a 4.5" lift and 35"x12.5" tires with 18"x9" wheels with 0 offset and 5" backspace. Gave me about 2" of poke outside the fenders and clears everything without a problem. I decided on this setup after reading numerous places that it's generally the highest lift and tallest tire you want to run if you're going to still effectively use the truck as a truck. I wanted to still be able to use the bed, tow with the turnover ball, have the kids and wife be able to get in and out, and not destroy my fuel mileage or have to re-gear. Generally it's regarded that with 37's you'll want to re-gear, but that may just be 6.0's.
Old 10-31-2013, 10:13 PM

Is the dealer charging you double for the lift and tires/wheels?
Old 11-01-2013, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Auto_Tech View Post
I ended up going with a 4.5" lift and 35"x12.5" tires with 18"x9" wheels with 0 offset and 5" backspace. Gave me about 2" of poke outside the fenders and clears everything without a problem. I decided on this setup after reading numerous places that it's generally the highest lift and tallest tire you want to run if you're going to still effectively use the truck as a truck. I wanted to still be able to use the bed, tow with the turnover ball, have the kids and wife be able to get in and out, and not destroy my fuel mileage or have to re-gear. Generally it's regarded that with 37's you'll want to re-gear, but that may just be 6.0's.
I havent spent enough time to figure out what the stock offset and backspace is or what I need to go to to give me the look i want, so thanks auto tech for this, and by using the 4.5" lift will still allow me to use the box of the truck easily enough...

Is there one lift any easier or better than another for these trucks ??

Black, The dealer who i know well is simply charging me for labour to install parts at their cost on everything so i dont have to worry there..

RBP grilles and certain custom front bumpers (without winch hole and moose pusher) would really add a nice custom touch to the front end and would like to incorporate them into initial build also... I love the baja look..... any good alternatives out there ??
Old 11-01-2013, 09:18 AM
Don't you worry about it

RBP is the biggest rip off ever!
Old 11-01-2013, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearjunkie View Post
I havent spent enough time to figure out what the stock offset and backspace is or what I need to go to to give me the look i want, so thanks auto tech for this, and by using the 4.5" lift will still allow me to use the box of the truck easily enough...

Is there one lift any easier or better than another for these trucks ??

Black, The dealer who i know well is simply charging me for labour to install parts at their cost on everything so i dont have to worry there..

RBP grilles and certain custom front bumpers (without winch hole and moose pusher) would really add a nice custom touch to the front end and would like to incorporate them into initial build also... I love the baja look..... any good alternatives out there ??
Obviously the tailgate step will help, but even with that it's still a step up to get into the bed. I'm 28 and in good shape, so for me jumping into the bed isn't a big deal. My wife on the other hand is 5'4", so any higher and she couldn't use it. My kids are just tall enough to stand on the running boards and open the doors. If you don't have to worry about keeping the truck completely functional then lift away.

I also am not a fan of the big steel off-road bumpers. To me a brush bumper ruins the look of the truck and to me doesn't really make it any more "rugged." I don't mind the off-road ones that still fit the body lines of the truck. Be prepared to bay for a nice one, they aren't cheap.
Old 11-03-2013, 06:10 AM

Good point with keeping height of box down low enough to make it practical for loading and unloading. It was ordered without the rear step and handle and wish now I had it.
4-4.5" is for sure the lift I'm going with but still can't decide on who makes the best adjustable 4 link with quality shocks. Who makes the best lifts for these models ???

Regarding front bumpers, I can't stand the look of the big ugly bumpers that seem to be so popular amongst texans. They are in my opinion as ugly as anything. I do though like the look of the iron cross type bumpers without the winch hole of bars off the top that serve no purpose to me. RBP has a photo on their site of a black super duty they built with a all black front bumper thats basic but clean looking and could very well just be the stocker and done in plasti coat.

What other aftermarket companies sell a RBP type front grille

What model of Bushwacker flares are popular with these trucks that set the look off so nice with extra wide wheels as I plan on color matching them.

Sorry for the lengthy post.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.