Suspension and steering upgrades/maintenance - could use suggestions! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Suspension & Steering Discuss OEM & aftermarket suspension, lifts, air ride suspension, shocks, steering components, etc.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-31-2013, 04:34 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Suspension and steering upgrades/maintenance - could use suggestions!

So, at this current time I have a 4.5" Rough Country lift, Rough Country dual steering stabilizers, 18x9 wheels and 35x12.5 tires, and stock everything else as far as I can tell. In all my reading it seems that if you are going to use the truck to tow and still use the bed that you don't want to go above a 4" lift and 35" tires due to fuel mileage, truck being too tall, etc. What are your guys' thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-31-2013, 08:04 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

What year and model truck do you have?
Old 10-31-2013, 08:23 AM

2006 F-250 Amarillo. I use the truck to haul the family, use the bed for scrap and used tires, and occasionally tow with the turnover ball and bumper hitch. Not looking to win any shows, just wanting an all-around useful lift and tires. I am wondering if there's other areas I should upgrade as well. Also, I'm wondering if I should remove the factory steering stabilizer and just run the RC dual setup.
Old 11-02-2013, 04:47 AM

Bump to see if you guys have any more info on this!
Old 11-02-2013, 10:29 AM

Did a bit of reading today on the radius arm vs 4 link setup in the front as I've always been curious about this setup on our trucks. RC's 4.5" kit uses the factory radius arms but their 6" kit uses the 4 link setup. Zone Offroad has their own aftermarket radius arms that can be substituted for radius arm drop brackets in their 4" kit and uses them for their 6" kit. BDS offers their 4" and 6" kits in either form. This leads me to believe that radius arms definitely have their advantages over a 4 link otherwise manufacturers wouldn't offer drop brackets or aftermarket arms. Also, a very interesting thing to note is that as of the 2013 the Dodge Ram Heavy Duty trucks have converted from a 4 link setup from the factory to a nearly identical radius arm setup like the 05+ Super Duty.

Our steering and suspension system was designed around a radius arm setup and was made to function properly using them. A 4 link setup will drastically change the way the suspension behaves, and not always in a good way. A 4 link will require the bushings in the front axle to twist in a way they were not designed to, not to mention a lot of guys have commented that the 4 link is MUCH less stiffer than the factory radius arms. Without a perfectly matched spring and shock combo to the 4 link the truck is not going to ride correctly. IMO from the reading I've done a 4 link is going to be for those guys wanting to offroad the truck and require more articulation whereas a radius arm is going to be the better setup for those of us who drive mainly on-road.

Last edited by The_Auto_Tech; 11-02-2013 at 10:41 AM.
Old 11-02-2013, 10:42 AM

Lastly (for now), I decided to do a bit of reading up on the single vs dual shock setups for the front. Almost everyone agrees that dual shock setups (short of off-roading most of the time) are a waste and generally just an aesthetic upgrade. Without the shocks being valved correctly the truck WILL ride horribly. On a street vehicle there is absolutely no need for a dual shock setup as long as you have a good single shock. Also, if you look at the SVT Raptor they use a single shock with an external reservoir, not a dual shock setup. If dual shocks had a purpose I would assume that would be the vehicle that came with them.
Old 11-02-2013, 11:06 AM
Ordnance on coordinates

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Radius arms are fine with the lift you have. Ditch the stock steering stab and run the rc dual set up. Get a set of good shocks and you won't need duals.
Old 11-02-2013, 11:17 AM

I'm running the dual steering stabilizer from RC right now. The main reason I picked it up was because it was only 80 bucks new (was on sale) and they look very nice as well. Also, I figured my stock steering stabilizer could use replacing. I just wasn't sure if since I have the dual setup if I should get rid of the factory one completely and just run the duals or if I should use the duals and get the RC one for the factory location too. I was fairly sure that using the factory radius arms were perfectly fine for the 4.5" lift, but I was curious about using a 4 link as it looks nice.
Old 11-02-2013, 12:07 PM
Ordnance on coordinates

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
no need for the 3rd stabilizer. two is good for a 35x12.5
Old 11-04-2013, 06:07 AM

Gotcha. I'm gonna do a bit more reading around to see what I can come up with on other parts of the suspension and steering.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.