06 F350 Track Bar Questions??? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Suspension & Steering Discuss OEM & aftermarket suspension, lifts, air ride suspension, shocks, steering components, etc.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-26-2013, 01:08 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
06 F350 Track Bar Questions???

Hi all,
So, I am still working on getting my new to me 06 F350 ready for the road....This is a truck I bought already lifted and already with big tires/wheels, etc. So I don't know much about the history or components......
My question today is this....according to the attached photos, does this track bar look like it's bent/damaged???
I am assuming that it is NOT the factory track bar since it has the adjustable section on the upper mount. It has the curve in it down towards the axle, but it looks to me that the threads are BENT up by the adjusting collar. Is this a normal bend? Is it designed that way?? I have read on here that track bar issues can cause death wobble and all sorts of problems so I want things to be right when I get it on the road.
Here are some photos of the track bar and I have circled where the bent section is.
Thank you for any help and all suggestions.
Rob
Attached Thumbnails
06 F350 Track Bar Questions???-20130911_174941-1024x768-.jpg   06 F350 Track Bar Questions???-20130911_174954-1024x768-.jpg   06 F350 Track Bar Questions???-20130911_175013-768x1024-.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-26-2013, 01:21 PM

Also.....if I have to replace this one....what brand do you guys recommend for an adjustable track bar??
Old 10-26-2013, 02:24 PM
Premium Member

Yes, the track bar does look bent at the adjuster. I have an Icon track bar and it's fine. I've heard lots of good things about the Carli track bar as well.

Also, it looks like sway bar end links are way too short for the amount of lift you have. The sway bar arms should normally be parallel with the ground.

I would have your front end looked at by a good off-road shop that knows Super Dutys.
Old 10-28-2013, 07:59 AM

Thanks for the input....you confirmed what I had suspected. Time to order a new track bar!!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 10-28-2013, 10:04 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
WOW.... that track bar looks super old and definitely bent... What size is the lift on there?
Old 10-28-2013, 11:47 AM

To be perfectly honest, I'm not really sure what size lift is on it??? I bought it that way and the previous owner says it's a 12" Pro Comp lift...but according to Pro Comp, they never made a 12" lift. I know it's Pro Comp because it has the "Pro Comp" logo radius arms....other than that I don't know much about it. I'm trying to get things figured out and in as good a condition as I can before getting it on the road for winter. I think I'm going to go with a BD adjustable track bar and a new OEM ball joint. The track bar looks almost parallel to the drag link which is a good thing.....
Old 10-28-2013, 11:55 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
May want to check out our track bar... The BD will use a bushing which will wear pretty quick. On our bar, there's nothing to bend. It's a chromoly track bar with an FK bearing at the frame mount connection. What is the measurement of the ICON bar on the truck? (center of eye to center of eye)
Old 10-28-2013, 12:39 PM

OCVeloMan....that's a good question, I will measure it up tonight and get back to you. I was mainly going with the BD because it fit into my budget....I'm already dropping more than I expected. Can you tell that is an ICON brand on the truck from the photos??
Rob
Old 10-28-2013, 04:40 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Do your coil springs have 2-3" thick spacers on top of them? It looks to me like someone either added spacers or taller springs to the procomp lift that is on there to increase the height. That would also explain why the sway bar mounts are too short.

And I see a bracket clamped to the center of the axle housing, is it connected to anything? That is where a double steering stabilizer kit would clamp on.
Old 10-28-2013, 05:08 PM

Greg you are exactly correct....someone did indeed install 3" spacers on top of the front coil springs....the springs have a bow as well...I think the shocks might be topped our y causing the bow.
I plan to take those spacers out and install the factory isolators and to take one of the 3 bucks out of the rear to make it level.
I think that will bring things better into line in the front geometry and put the seat bar back into being parallel with the ground.
Since that track bar is junk I need to replace it with a new adjustable anyway.
The bracket was indeed for a dual stabilizer setup that was broken off...I have a new one waiting to go on once I get things cleaned up.
Thanks Rob

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.