Help with a couple front end issues - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Suspension & Steering Discuss OEM & aftermarket suspension, lifts, air ride suspension, shocks, steering components, etc.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-24-2013, 11:08 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Help with a couple front end issues

My truck is a 2006 F350 with 49,000 miles on it.. The truck sat at 12" of lift on a skyjacker kit with a leveling kit on top of the coil. The truck still had a slight rake that was an eyesore for me, so I purchased a 2" coil spacer from a member on here to go down under the coil, PROBLEM SOVLED

NO, that was the beginning of my problems it seems..

Never had a problem with the suspension/steering before, but now my truck started to get the death wobble, and at 14" of lift on 40s you can imagine it's scary as hell . And although my springs had a bow to them at first..it's noticeably worse now

So I did a good bit of research, and I have looked at most of the threads on the issues & gathered a lot of valuable information. But I'm starting my own thread because 1) my truck is a little larger than most of the others who had issues 2) I have some questions specific to my truck

So here are the issues I'm having:
- hellacious death wobble
- abnormal curvature

Here are the parts that I plan to change:
- adjustable track bar
- track bar ball joint
- reservoir shocks all around
- shock extenders maybe..?
- new dual steering stabilizers

Here are some pics before I go into more detail:

^ Ball joint I was told is probably the culprit(s)

^Looking thru the driver side coil at the curve in the trackbar

^Drop beam with lift kit

^Factory track bar

^already has dual stabilizers

^evidence of movement

^upper 'leveling kit'

^lower spring spacer

^passenger spring curve

^driver side
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-24-2013, 11:26 AM

OK, now that I have supplied I think ample background information.. This is where the questions come in. I do apologize if it is wordy or pic heavy, but I try to be very thorough on forums when asking for or giving help

So I went yesterday to have an alignment done on the truck as I thought that would fix my problem... well when I got there the guy told me an alignment wasn't going to fix death wobble... that was a little different from what I had been reading online as I saw many members simply had the caster adjusted to account for the new lift/leveling kit changes

For Death Wobble
1. So from what I've gathered, for starters when running a lift of this magnitude the factory track bar should've been replaced long ago to an adjustable one. So I plan to remove the OEM ford one and replace it with an adjustable one. What are some recommendations on which is most feasible for application on my truck? And also, with replacing it, is it true that some will include the balljoint and some won't?

2. The stabilizers seem to have been sliding back and forth, and one of the u-bolts there is bent on the axle. My guess is this is from the violent motion of the tires back and forth during death wobble..? because those scratches weren't there before for a fact before. So I plan to replace the 2 steering stabilizers as and probably that u-bolt

3. If the track-bar doesn't come with one, I suppose i'll head to the stealership to pick up that balljoint that goes on the end. Will the OEM one fit the aftermarket bars? And what is it I hear about people flipping them upside down?

For Spring Curvature
1. How likely is it that perhaps the reason my springs are curved worse is because my shocks are not long enough? The extend from the axle to up above the frame and perhaps by adding the extra 2" that maxxed the shock out not allowing the 2 to separate enough to fit the coil back in comfortably...? If so, would I be able to get by with running a longer shock and a shock extender to allow the spring to sit more comfortably?

2. Whether #1 is true or not.. the shocks will be replaced (front and rear) with reservoir shocks so I'm hoping that will help the ride be a little smoother

3. There's only 1 4x4 shop around, I went there yesterday they said they think I should take the spacer out at the bottom.. I know that isn't the only or definite solution as I know of a few members on here who are running the same.. upper leveling kit and lower spring spacer. Do I need to get a different spring? How do I fix that ridiculous spring curve?

THANKS IN ADVANCE guys, I hope I gave full details. any other info/pics I'll be more than happy to supply as I'm trying to get this all fixed before my new wheels and tires arrive at the end of november
Old 10-24-2013, 12:25 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Dang man it sounds like you have multiple issues. I have Pro Comp's 8.5" on an 07' with the same amout of miles which is nowhere near 12" but I had to put dual shocks up front for mine to straighten out. Your shocks def look maxed out. What brand are they?
And by death wobble do you mean "chucking"? which is where (between 50-80MPH) the truck will bounce violently from back to front. Or do you mean the truck is "wobbling" side to side?
I was having chucking issues and tried quad shocks in the back (which ended up being a ***** cuz I had to order a magnaflow offroad exhaust that dumps before the back wheel) and I still have the issue on uneven highway. People say that even their stock suspension 6.0s have issues with chucking so i think it is just the nature of this suspension.

You def need upgraded brackets for you stabilization bar. Mine is like a 6" plate that holds it on. Is there a lot of play in your steering wheel? And at 12", quad stabilizers wouldnt hurt. lol

As for the spring, I think the 4x4 shop is right. The spring looks almost too compressed, making it bow in the middle. Which might be due to the extra spacer you added.

Ill try to get some pics uploaded tonight.
Old 10-24-2013, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jweber6.0L View Post
Dang man it sounds like you have multiple issues. I have Pro Comp's 8.5" on an 07' with the same amout of miles which is nowhere near 12" but I had to put dual shocks up front for mine to straighten out. Your shocks def look maxed out. What brand are they?
And by death wobble do you mean "chucking"? which is where (between 50-80MPH) the truck will bounce violently from back to front. Or do you mean the truck is "wobbling" side to side?
I was having chucking issues and tried quad shocks in the back (which ended up being a ***** cuz I had to order a magnaflow offroad exhaust that dumps before the back wheel) and I still have the issue on uneven highway. People say that even their stock suspension 6.0s have issues with chucking so i think it is just the nature of this suspension.

You def need upgraded brackets for you stabilization bar. Mine is like a 6" plate that holds it on. Is there a lot of play in your steering wheel? And at 12", quad stabilizers wouldnt hurt. lol

As for the spring, I think the 4x4 shop is right. The spring looks almost too compressed, making it bow in the middle. Which might be due to the extra spacer you added.

Ill try to get some pics uploaded tonight.
I know right? haha

And I have no clue what brand the shocks are since they're painted over but I think they are maxxed out so I was gonna add a shock extender and see how it rode

And no, here's a video of what happens with death wobble. common term, idk how to explain the literal description of what happens... .lots of wheel hop and jerking side to side haha:

There's a little play in the wheel, and what do you mean upgraded brackets? It came with the drop down bracket with the lift kit but it's still the factory track bar so I think that's the problem. it's still not long enough

And yeah, i think the spacer is making the spring too compressed in there but i mean if you disconnect everything the axle will drop to the ground ya know so it's something that's connected to axle and upper spring mount that's not letting it travel far enough for the spring to decompress, my guess was too short of a shock. . but idk
Old 10-25-2013, 07:47 AM
Vintage Nakamichi Powered

You have too much caster in the front axle, the axle is leaning forward so far that the spring coils have no choice but to lay forward. You need to draw back on the caster, it will sharpen the driveline angles but at least the coils will straighten up.

I hope those links are adjustable.
Old 10-25-2013, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhatlen View Post
You have too much caster in the front axle, the axle is leaning forward so far that the spring coils have no choice but to lay forward. You need to draw back on the caster, it will sharpen the driveline angles but at least the coils will straighten up.

Yeah that's what I'm learning. I'm used to bagging trucks so I understand suspension dynamics but with lifted trucks it's almost all opposite of what I'm used to. If you're talkin about my 4 link bars no they're not. . So I believe adding the caster adjusters will make the angle for my front driveshaft too sharp.. I believe I'm just going to remove the spacers reluctantly
Old 10-28-2013, 11:26 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhatlen View Post

So 'caster' = a kant of the axle?
Thats why I was saying you need to add a second shock to each axle. I think you shock at the back is too short so it is pushing the spring forward.
Would that be where the shaking "death wobble" is coming from as well?
Which looks super dangerous and scary as sh*t, btw. You are saying that is happening to you at highway speeds? Could you imagine if you lost your front end or an axle on the interstate?! You'd be killed.
Best advice I could give you is have the suspension looked at by a pro offroad shop and get some parts upgraded.

My shock setup & I only have an 8.5" lift. Fox pro spring.

My stabilizer setup

That bracket is tigg welded and part of it attaches right to the diff.

One of your U blots is bent as sh*t (most likely from you "death wobble") and the fact that your components cant support your insane lift.

Get some professional help my friend. best advice I can give you.
Old 10-28-2013, 01:16 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
That's so sketchy I wouldn't be driving it. The lift has been priced together, you need to buy a full kit and throw the current stuff away
Old 10-28-2013, 01:46 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetjock15 View Post
That's so sketchy I wouldn't be driving it. The lift has been priced together, you need to buy a full kit and throw the current stuff away
I think my friend Jetjock here means 'pieced' together and I completely agree. Your setup can not support how high your truck is.

I feel bad for you because it looks like you take good care of it and it has such low miles but the fact you don't know what brand the components are scares me a little. You want to know what you are sitting on when you are sitting that high.

^^x2. Buy a new kit.
Old 10-30-2013, 11:14 AM

Yep, sorry I've been awayguys. Yep it sucks cuz I do take care of and geeat pride in my vehicles.

Yeah the truck hasn't moved in a while it just sits in the driveway.

The plan is to leave what I know. I know the 4link and coils are fine so they will stay.. but the rest is all coming off. The springs may actually come off too depending which front shock setup I run.

And the thing about taking it to a shop, there's only 1 around here.. They gave me a few pointers, but as the only shop around they rape price wise and I'm not bout to do it. So it's gonna come back down a goodbit and be done right.

Then i can put my wheels on.

Oh and yeah, scary and not fun are understatements. It's "controllable" but 'death wobble' is a great term for it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.