Suspension noise - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Suspension & Steering Discuss OEM & aftermarket suspension, lifts, air ride suspension, shocks, steering components, etc.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-28-2013, 03:13 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Suspension noise

Well I searched the other similar threads and they don't seem to be exactly what my issue is so here goes...

When driving at slow speed over a slight washboard road or hitting some bumps in the road at higher speeds there is a clunk under the truck. It seems to be coming from the rear but I'm not positive about that since noise can be deceiving. The clunk will rattle as fast as the truck hits the washboard bumps...kinda like a machine gun pop.

It is a 2000 F250 7.3 4x4 extra cab. I have replaced the sway bar bushings front and rear and the shocks were replaced a year ago. The swaybar bushings were bad and replacement helped the noise at the time. Now it's back again but worse.

I have done a visual inspection on everything I can think of. Exhaust system, trans mount, shock mounts, swaybar bushings and the leaf spring bushings look OK. Even the spare tire is tight.

Can anyone point me in another direction?

Thanks guys,

Shane
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-03-2013, 05:39 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

OK HERES AN UPDATE.

Shot WD40 on ALL the leaf spring bushings, thinking they are the problem. NO JOY!

So now what...just drive it until something falls off or breaks?

It's the wifes truck anyway...oh well.
Old 10-03-2013, 08:20 PM
Premium Member

sway bar links or maybe the cheap ford hubs?
Old 10-05-2013, 07:23 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Not as far as I can tell. I replaced the swaybar bushings a few months ago , so they are new and in good shape. I did a check of the hubs and ball joints yesterday. No play there either.

Wondering if a dry driveshaft slip yoke would cause the noise. There is no play in the shaft or u-joints though.

I may just have to ignore it until it gets really bad to the point of something actually breaking. The wife hasn't said anything lately and it's her daily driver. Maybe if she THINKS I'm working on it she'll shut up.
Old 10-13-2013, 10:14 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Update.

Dropped the driveline and lubed the splines on slip yoke. Driveline clunk is now gone but suspension noise is still there.

It's looking like the leaf spring bushings are the culprit. Not looking forward to that project.
Old 10-13-2013, 10:52 AM
Don't you worry about it

Have you checked to make sure the bolts that hold the shocks on are all tight. I would lay under the truck and physically push it up and down and see if you can recreate the noise and see where it is coming from.
Old 10-14-2013, 11:21 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Yep, thats one of the first things I looked at. Plus they are new shocks too.

I can't move the truck enough up and down, to make the noise. but when I drive it out on the washboard road by our house it moves the suspension enough to make the noise.

I finally got under the truck with enough light to see where the shackle bushings have small cracks in them, a sign they are breaking down.

So I need to call up my mechanic (me) and let him know he has yet another project to do.
Old 10-14-2013, 01:38 PM
Don't you worry about it

Hmm, I know how you feel bud. Any type of noise whether it be a rattle or squeak or anything unusual absolutely drives me crazy. My truck used to make a jingling noise when I went over any kind of bump and I practically took the front of the truck apart chasing it and it ended up being one of those castle nut cap things that goes on top of the drivers side tie rod nut jingling.
Old 10-30-2013, 05:45 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by clovisb31 View Post
Yep, thats one of the first things I looked at. Plus they are new shocks too.

I can't move the truck enough up and down, to make the noise. but when I drive it out on the washboard road by our house it moves the suspension enough to make the noise.

I finally got under the truck with enough light to see where the shackle bushings have small cracks in them, a sign they are breaking down.

So I need to call up my mechanic (me) and let him know he has yet another project to do.
Do you have any updates to your problem?

I seem to have the same issue. I used to think it was a front end noise, but I drove over a few speed bumps at the local Mall and it is definitely a noise caused by the rear suspension.

Chris
Old 11-01-2013, 11:00 PM
Vintage Nakamichi Powered

Have you cranked down on the u-bolt nuts for the axle spring pack?
I would also look at all the fuel tank bolts and nuts.
I occasionally squirt motor oil into the leaf springs to help them slip on each other. There are Teflon shims on the ends but they get dry and can cause a chatter. The suspension will soften a bit to with oil on the springs.
Might check the bed bolts too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.