'08, lifted, need advice on rear suspension - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Suspension & Steering Discuss OEM & aftermarket suspension, lifts, air ride suspension, shocks, steering components, etc.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-23-2013, 10:30 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
'08, lifted, need advice on rear suspension

Ok guys,

I have a 6" BDS lift, with the rear springs and sway bars, etc. The rear end has slowly sunk about 1" over a year or so...especially after I put a fiberglass top on it. It now rides the Timbren bumps on the side that the shock is busted (driver side):

Passenger side has about 3/8" to spare:

So, I'm not completely sure what I should do....been going over my options so much I was dreaming about it all night and woke up at 3:45am and couldn't sleep!!! I will be replacing the shocks with Bilstein 5100s regardless.

Here is what I've come up with so far.
  1. Replace the leaf springs with BDS at about $1000 in parts alone (Does BDS warranty this issue?)
  2. Get OEM leaf springs and some PMF traction blocks to match the front lift
  3. Get PMF traction bars and replace bumps with air bags like these (pic from forum member
    fordpwrstroke7):
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-23-2013, 01:08 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Are you concerned with the overall 1" drop or just the 3/8" differential from side to side? These trucks usually sit .5-1" lower on the drivers side right out of the factory.
Old 09-23-2013, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyd Ram View Post
Are you concerned with the overall 1" drop or just the 3/8" differential from side to side? These trucks usually sit .5-1" lower on the drivers side right out of the factory.
Well, mostly I'm concerned with the drop of the overall rearend (~1" in the past year) and the fact that I'm resting on the bump stop and that the truck looks sagged a bit without any load in the bed.

The truck seems shakey and I can feel every little bump. Just want to get it fixed up before winter comes around.

I'm also not seeing the rear Bilstein 5100 for 4-6" lifts anywhere....
Old 09-23-2013, 01:43 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
u have to call someone that deals in bilsteins like truck toyz and tell them what you want and they will order the properly valved and length shocks for you.. if you went with new springs I wouldnt choose BDS again as it appears they already sagged on you once.. go with something like an Icon spring.
Old 09-23-2013, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubledrop View Post
u have to call someone that deals in bilsteins like truck toyz and tell them what you want and they will order the properly valved and length shocks for you.. if you went with new springs I wouldnt choose BDS again as it appears they already sagged on you once.. go with something like an Icon spring.
Thanks for the tip...I just clicked on the "contact" tab at TruckToyz as your response notification email came through on the phone. It seems to not be connected anymore.

I've had good service from Nate at PTP, I'll shoot him an email.

Would it be worth it to measure the wheel wells to ground distances all around? Also, would air bags filled with 10 psi feel any softer than the timbrens?

Thanks. I'd like to get stuff ordered up and installed int he next 2 weeks.
Old 09-23-2013, 02:02 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
anyone that deals in Bilsteins should be able to help you out and PTP are a great group of guys as well.. I have never run bags or timbrens myself, so honestly wouldn't know. Since you run a fiberglass top, stock springs with overloads, then running a traction block would sound ideal.. or airbags.
Old 09-24-2013, 07:33 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mthompson View Post
Well, mostly I'm concerned with the drop of the overall rearend (~1" in the past year) and the fact that I'm resting on the bump stop and that the truck looks sagged a bit without any load in the bed.

The truck seems shakey and I can feel every little bump. Just want to get it fixed up before winter comes around.

I'm also not seeing the rear Bilstein 5100 for 4-6" lifts anywhere....
I would just replace your blocks with 1" taller units. Assuming your 6" BDS kit lifted the rear about 4" over that of a stock F350 these shocks should work great: Bilstein 2-4 lift rear 5100 shock absorber Ford F250/F350 4WD
Old 09-24-2013, 07:57 AM

Ok, I talked to a tech at BDS. I got measurements for where my truck should sit (center of wheel to bottom of fender), and went and measured it....the rear driver side is about 1/2 -3/4" low. I assume it is from the completely busted/leaked-out shock on that side. I am looking at getting some air bags then, and new shocks for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyd Ram View Post
I would just replace your blocks with 1" taller units. Assuming your 6" BDS kit lifted the rear about 4" over that of a stock F350 these shocks should work great: Bilstein 2-4 lift rear 5100 shock absorber Ford F250/F350 4WD
I talked to a Bilstein tech and he said he couldn't give me details about that part number (F4-BE5-C303-T0) because it was a proprietary shock they make for another company with special valving.

Skyd Ram, can you tell me the lengths for that shock compressed and extended? The BDS rep said shock for this lift should be 19.25" to 33 1/2", which would allow me to run a set of 5160 shocks in the rear (like I have up front).

He also recommended I take a look at the Fox 2.0 shocks. They have some for my lift. Anyone have experience with the Fox 2.0 as far as ride, durability, etc.?

Thanks
Old 09-24-2013, 08:00 AM

Oh, and can you mix & match shocks like that? I.E. 5160s up front fox 2.0 in the rear.
Old 09-24-2013, 07:12 PM
Vintage Nakamichi Powered

Quote:
Originally Posted by mthompson View Post
Thanks for the tip...I just clicked on the "contact" tab at TruckToyz as your response notification email came through on the phone. It seems to not be connected anymore.

I've had good service from Nate at PTP, I'll shoot him an email.

Would it be worth it to measure the wheel wells to ground distances all around? Also, would air bags filled with 10 psi feel any softer than the timbrens?

Thanks. I'd like to get stuff ordered up and installed int he next 2 weeks.
I can tell you how to improve the ride quality with these trucks. I took my spring pack apart and cut a peice of 3/8 steel plate the size of the factory shims betwwen the leafs and placed it between the overload and lowest leaf. With this arrangement the spring pack has around 3" of travel before it engages the overload.
I can tell you it rides beautiful, it floats through rough roads now and there is suspension travel as smooth if not smoother than my wifes 02 Tahoe. I do not tow heavy but I do pull a 4 quad trailer that loaded weighs around 4500 lbs. It does as good as before, it squats maybe another inch but the ride is great.
Air bags would most certaintly give the load capacity higher then the factory rating if wanted.

For me it is awesome, I am empty 99% of the time and along with I-Con progressive springs in the front truck rides like a station wagon.
Again the shocks are Rancho 9000XLS and the ride is extremely adjustable. Only way to go as far as I am concerned.

I posted up pictures of the spring mod a few weeks ago. Something like( How to get a softer ride in these trucks)
There is my $2.00 Dollars worth.......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.