8" dually lift - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Suspension & Steering Discuss OEM & aftermarket suspension, lifts, air ride suspension, shocks, steering components, etc.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-12-2013, 04:25 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
8" dually lift

Sorry if this thread is started somewhere I tried looking but there's 108 page to go through and I haven't seen what I'm looking for , I am looking to do a 8"bds lift with their upgrades with shocks and steering stabilizer, my question is do I defiantly need to modify my front drive shaft and who is a good company to go to in the Maryland area? and brake lines does modifying my brake hose brackets work or should I just get longer lines? and how's the drive comfort? I believe paying for the right s*** first versus fixing it later, besides interco who make a good 37/12.5/16 or 37/13.5/16, I'd love pic if anyone has any, dually or srw, thank you for everyone's help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-12-2013, 05:15 PM
Serving Our Country!

I'll post a pic tonight but:
2004 f350 SRW i had to get extended brake lines, and diffeent brake line brackets. my front driveline was barley long enough so i used it and never had issues... i ran a superlift with replacement springs front/rear and rode a little rough even with different shocks but it had like 8+leafs in each pack.

i removed it and went to a 4in though...

toyo mt
bfg
kumho make a 37 with 16 in wheel

8in superlift with 38x14.5R18 toyo mt's i miss it but the tires are $$$$
Attached Thumbnails
8" dually lift-resampled_2012-09-30_17-22-25_14.jpg  

Last edited by JustinOOO9; 09-12-2013 at 05:19 PM.
Old 09-12-2013, 06:05 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinOOO9 View Post
I'll post a pic tonight but:
2004 f350 SRW i had to get extended brake lines, and diffeent brake line brackets. my front driveline was barley long enough so i used it and never had issues... i ran a superlift with replacement springs front/rear and rode a little rough even with different shocks but it had like 8+leafs in each pack.

i removed it and went to a 4in though...

toyo mt
bfg
kumho make a 37 with 16 in wheel

8in superlift with 38x14.5R18 toyo mt's i miss it but the tires are $$$$
thank you, truck looks awesome, did you buy or fab your brake line brackets? if you bought them where did you get them from, I want to have everything I need at once so I don't have to go s*** I need more parts or the truck be down.
Old 09-13-2013, 04:33 AM
Serving Our Country!

most if not all lift kits come with extended brake-line/ different mount brackets.

mine was an 8in superlift but i had it removed and got a 4in rough country kit it has the extended brakelines with it.

p.s. when your order a lift kit and items such as: pitman arm, carrier bearing drop bracket for rear drive line are just an option... you typically need it its a cheap way of getting extra cash from people for an 8in ift you will need the following:

front
-front leafs
drop pitman arm
-track bar relocation bracket and or adjustable track bar
-sway bar lowering bracket or extended front sway bar end links
-extended front brake-lines and most likely a new bracket
-ubolts
-possibly shims to get the pinion (part your drive line bolts up to) to make the angle on front drive line easier
-I did not need to get my front drive line extended but i only had like 3 inches of slip yoke travel so i recommend drive line extension shouldn't be more then $150 with new balancing

rear:
-replacement leafs, or block with oem leafs or add-a-leaf with oem leafs
-carrier-bearing drop bracket (it makes the 2 piece drive line line up with bigger lift kit)
-u bolts and hardware
-sway bar brackets or new end links
possibly extended brake lines i dont remember honestly
and usual shocks and misc hardware etc...

try and stick with:
zone, bds, fabtech, skyjacker, rough country, pro comp etc... most name brand lifts you can get complete and it will be most likely cheaper to ship to a business then your house

sorry for long post more experienced people chime in shortly...

bigger tires and wheels means possibly re-gearing front/rear difs and a upgraded brake pad/rotor will be good saftey measure
Old 09-14-2013, 04:36 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

2004 f350 8" All spring lift.

Extended brake lines were needed.
I needed to extend and balance front drive shaft.
Needed to shim the carrier on the rear drive shaft.

Depending on how you lift it a 8" leaf spring will ride alot rougher then a 4" lift spring. My truck rides pretty good for what it is.

You may want to contact Trevor at PMF or Cary about putting a kit together for you. Something like a 6" leaf spring with a hanger and shackle kit in the front, combined with a traction block and a 4" or 6" spring.

I disagree with the user above you will want a drop pitman arm to keep geometry correct and avoid bump steer.

I suggest Icon if you want a quality kit. BDS doesn't stand up to Icons quality.

Last edited by 20046.0; 09-14-2013 at 04:39 PM.
Old 09-16-2013, 07:37 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

[quote=BLACKDUALLY;6629025]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20046.0 View Post
2004 f350 8" All spring lift.

Extended brake lines were needed.
I needed to extend and balance front drive shaft.
Needed to shim the carrier on the rear drive shaft.

Depending on how you lift it a 8" leaf spring will ride alot rougher then a 4" lift spring. My truck rides pretty good for what it is.

You may want to contact Trevor at PMF or Cary about putting a kit together for you. Something like a 6" leaf spring with a hanger and shackle kit in the front, combined with a traction block and a 4" or 6" spring.

I disagree with the user above you will want a drop pitman arm to keep geometry correct and avoid bump steer.

I suggest Icon if you want a quality kit. BDS doesn't stand up to Icons quality.[/
Thank you ill look into the pmf suspension, never looked into them before, hows the quality, fitment and ride of the pmf lifts?
Thankyou, never heard of pmf, just visited their web paged and they have some pretty sick looking suspension, hows the quality, fitment and ride, if anyone has a full suspent lift from pmf i'd like to heard their input too.
Old 09-16-2013, 10:18 AM

[quote=BLACKDUALLY;6629033]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACKDUALLY View Post

Thankyou, never heard of pmf, just visited their web paged and they have some pretty sick looking suspension, hows the quality, fitment and ride, if anyone has a full suspent lift from pmf i'd like to heard their input too.
Top notch, all of it. You'd be hard pressed to find anyone who wouldn't recommend his products
Old 09-16-2013, 01:11 PM

What year of truck is the kit going on?

I would probably go with an Icon either way. Talk to Marty at Truck Toyz performance in Texas. They can help you with exactly what you need to do to do it correctly....

Old 09-16-2013, 01:23 PM

Icon makes quality kits as well. I'm running their leaf springs and they're great
Old 09-16-2013, 01:37 PM

there's garbage kits there's good kits and there's phenomenal kits.... of course the best kits are gonna cost the most... Icon, OUO, RIZE, Bulletproof, PMF, Kelderman, ETC are awesome kits... you get into fabtech, procomp, BDS, etc... they are good and with upgrades are very good... Zone is a cheap kit that is good quality... then you have Rough Country and Tuff Country and similar kits which are cheap Chinese made kits that ive seen parts break and geometry to be off so tire wear and other stuff goes on... not a fan of them... when dealing with automotive parts, that "little bit extra" money is always worth a lot in terms of quality.. just saying
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.