Carli 2.5" starter system - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Suspension & Steering Discuss OEM & aftermarket suspension, lifts, air ride suspension, shocks, steering components, etc.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-02-2013, 06:52 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Carli 2.5" starter system

Ok guys so I'm new here and this may have been covered 100 times already but I couldn't find it. Soon, I'm going to be ordering the Carli 2.5" starter system and will eventually upgrade the shocks. My question is how many of you have run the starter system and what kind of general expectations can I have for it? Oh my truck is a 06 F250. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-02-2013, 07:18 PM

I know I'm a new guy so I expected to get beat up on for doing something wrong but the silent treatment? Lol can someone at least point me in the right direction?
Old 09-03-2013, 03:04 AM

I have the 4.5" starter on my 2012 and so far have been very pleased with it. It rides a touch better than stock and flexes plenty for the mild offroading i put it through here in Texas. I think you will be pleased with the kit but bear in mind the quality of your ride will be much enhanced by the rim/tire you choose and the pressures you choose to run. (That is why I am running 17" rims and 35's on my truck and 40lbs of pressure in tires that can hold 80).
Old 09-03-2013, 08:58 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
As BoatPilot said, you can expect a stock like ride quality with more control and predictability. It will be slightly softer than stock but the 5100s handle completely different than the stock shocks; firm and very controlled.

The commuters (not out yet) ride very soft and give a 1/2 ton ride quality while the pintops ride very plush on the road with A LOT of bottom out resistance (this is what i run on my truck). I also agree with the above comments on tire pressure!
Old 09-03-2013, 01:23 PM

That's what I was hoping for. Like I said I will upgrade the shocks when funds allow it but for now the 5100's will do fine. My coil springs are wore out and I like the level stance. Right now I'm running 35's on 18" wheels and usually run 45 psi as I've found that's the best ride for me and it also still allows me to haul a trailer confortably
Old 09-03-2013, 01:59 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06psd6.0 View Post
That's what I was hoping for. Like I said I will upgrade the shocks when funds allow it but for now the 5100's will do fine. My coil springs are wore out and I like the level stance. Right now I'm running 35's on 18" wheels and usually run 45 psi as I've found that's the best ride for me and it also still allows me to haul a trailer confortably
Sounds like a good plan as that's why they call it the "Starter System".

I have had a few customers that started with the Starter System and then upgraded to the Backcountry or Pintop shocks later on when funds would allow. All of them were pleased with the upgrade.
Old 09-03-2013, 02:58 PM

Sounds great. I've been doin all the reading I can before deciding on anything and from what I've seen carli has my vote. I love the fact that there is no block involved other than stock. 70% of my driving is gravel roads and back highways that are not taken care of(they are crap to put it modestly). So I've never been keen on adding a taller block just seemed like a recipe for disaster
Old 09-04-2013, 04:54 AM

I have the starter and love it, I wasn't sure what I wanted to do in the rear with springs (08 spring conversion, complete carli 05-07 springs or just the spring pack) so I just used a 1' taller than factory block in the rear to level it out. Got the 5100's and am very happy. I may never upgrade.
Old 09-04-2013, 05:23 AM

Gapowerstroke what backspacing and offset are your rims? Just curious in your sig it says they are the same size as mine.

An F350 block wouldn't bother me but even at that if I could avoid it an have add a leafs and soften up the ride just a little at the same time that would be awesome
Old 09-04-2013, 05:32 AM

Mine are 0 offset and from what I remember that gives me a 5" backspacing. Mine rubbed the inner plastic liner a little on the drivers side when turning hard right or especially when backing and the wheel turned the same direction. I just cut a v-notch out of the plastic on the bottom and then drilled some holes on both sides and used zip ties to pull it back some. Worked like a champ. From what I understand the spring pack from carli replaces the overload spring and does decrease the spring load some. It also changes the spring rate so shocks that have been valved for a factory spring rate won't be ideal. Fortunately carli has all the shocks for their kits valved specifically for the spring rates created by their suspensions. I give a shout out for 8lug truck gear, super company to deal with.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.