need help with steering - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Suspension & Steering Discuss OEM & aftermarket suspension, lifts, air ride suspension, shocks, steering components, etc.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-01-2013, 10:40 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
need help with steering

bought this 2003 f350 few weeks ago. has 12in lift/leaf springs and 38s. drove home first night(1.5hr drive) no problem couldn't ask for better. then all a sudden on that same trip a week later front end started to drift left and right. bump steer? real bad on highway(ruts from semis) installed brand new remaned steering gear box.. same prob. installed new rancho dual steering stabilizer set up.. still doing it.. now while driving front end almost acts like the axel is floating back and forth.. EVERYTHING under front end is tight no end no bushings bad!! what do you guy think???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-02-2013, 12:02 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

You may have the same issue I had about a month ago. Mine has an 11" lift with leafs, shocks and 38's also. The steering felt loose after a while and it's almost like you are chasing the left and right steering just to keep the truck tracking straight. Lots of play when maneuvering at slow speeds going from side to side. It may feel in the wheel like the shaft from your steering wheel is sloppy when trying to go left/right in tight places like a parking lot.

I discovered that the steering adjustment sleeve was getting loose and actually disconnected on me. Thankfully I was in a parking lot and moving at 1 mph when it happened. Upon investigation I found the sleeve was barely 3/4" threaded on both ends to the rods. It just got loose and beat the crap out of my rod ends and just fell off. No one I know of makes a longer sleeve, and since your lift is so high like mine I had to have a machinist take a new sleeve and cut the center out. He welded about 2" of new steel in the middle and then reinforced it. I also had him drill the bolt heads and nuts so I could safety wire them.

Scared the hell out of me because just a week earlier I took my son to the airport right off of I-5 and thought about what could have happened losing all steering control at 70 mph. Would not have ended well for anyone involved.

Check the bolts on the alignment adjustment sleeve and stick a thin flathead screwdriver in the open slot and see how much rod is threaded in there before it decides to do what it did to me. The attached picture shows the sleeve after I got it temporarily back on to get the truck home. Note how much thread is shown available for use by the sleeve.

God forbid you are on the road at speed and lose all steering control. Check this before you turn the key please.
Attached Thumbnails
need help with steering-sleeve-1.jpg  

Last edited by Sediment; 09-02-2013 at 05:34 AM. Reason: Spelling and more info
Old 09-02-2013, 10:09 AM
Vintage Nakamichi Powered

I had a rough country cast iron pitman drop arm crack and eventually break on my old Chevy 4X4. Thank god I was in a parking lot when it broke, always have used steel only since. Yea bad things can happen when steering gear fails.
Check everything closely and jack it up and use a big bar to all the ball joints in the knuckles. Are the tires sitting square?
Good Luck with it.
Old 09-03-2013, 07:02 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sediment View Post
You may have the same issue I had about a month ago. Mine has an 11" lift with leafs, shocks and 38's also. The steering felt loose after a while and it's almost like you are chasing the left and right steering just to keep the truck tracking straight. Lots of play when maneuvering at slow speeds going from side to side. It may feel in the wheel like the shaft from your steering wheel is sloppy when trying to go left/right in tight places like a parking lot.

I discovered that the steering adjustment sleeve was getting loose and actually disconnected on me. Thankfully I was in a parking lot and moving at 1 mph when it happened. Upon investigation I found the sleeve was barely 3/4" threaded on both ends to the rods. It just got loose and beat the crap out of my rod ends and just fell off. No one I know of makes a longer sleeve, and since your lift is so high like mine I had to have a machinist take a new sleeve and cut the center out. He welded about 2" of new steel in the middle and then reinforced it. I also had him drill the bolt heads and nuts so I could safety wire them.

Scared the hell out of me because just a week earlier I took my son to the airport right off of I-5 and thought about what could have happened losing all steering control at 70 mph. Would not have ended well for anyone involved.

Check the bolts on the alignment adjustment sleeve and stick a thin flathead screwdriver in the open slot and see how much rod is threaded in there before it decides to do what it did to me. The attached picture shows the sleeve after I got it temporarily back on to get the truck home. Note how much thread is shown available for use by the sleeve.

God forbid you are on the road at speed and lose all steering control. Check this before you turn the key please.
do you have high crossover steering? I have a 9" lift and my steering wheel was almost 90 degrees off for a long time because I was afraid to only leave a couple threads in the adjuster sleeve. Since I went to crossover everything is perfect and drives amazing steers better then when I got it with 35's
Old 09-07-2013, 08:07 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

sediment.. the exact same thing you described and did has already been done to the truck now that I look at it.. welded and spacer... and yes their is enough thread thru... and for the tires sitting square the fronts toe in at bottom a bit.... but other than that everything checks out. nothing loose. any suggestions on where to look for crossover steering kits? reasonably priced
Old 09-07-2013, 12:39 PM

PMF has the best prices and the quality is top notch!
Old 09-09-2013, 08:01 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I have a 2005 F250 Super Duty 6.0 Diesel and the Hydroboost is leaking where the booster and mastercylender connect. Can anyone tell me if there is
an O-Ring between the two that may need to be replaced. I had the high presure hose leaking and replaced it but now when I turn the steering wheel it is leaking between the two
units where the two mounting bolts are. What could be the problem and is there an O-Ring that may need to be replaced or will I need to replace the Hydrobooster. Please help.
Old 09-12-2013, 08:20 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Talking

anybody else??
Old 09-15-2013, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vettemania77 View Post
I have a 2005 F250 Super Duty 6.0 Diesel and the Hydroboost is leaking where the booster and mastercylender connect. Can anyone tell me if there is
an O-Ring between the two that may need to be replaced. I had the high presure hose leaking and replaced it but now when I turn the steering wheel it is leaking between the two
units where the two mounting bolts are. What could be the problem and is there an O-Ring that may need to be replaced or will I need to replace the Hydrobooster. Please help.

never had the lines off mine. Just take it out and see if its an o ring or flared fitting. Are you sure its the line? alot of times the hydroboost unit itself will start to leak. Mine is just not bad enough were I have worried about it yet
Old 09-16-2013, 03:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthaxton View Post
anybody else??
Extended steering coupler for stock setup:

www.sky-manufacturing.com - FordSuperDutyExtendedSteeringCoupler

What I would do - Crossover Steering Kit:

Crossover Steering Kit

Good Luck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.