Leveling Kit for a F-550 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Suspension & Steering Discuss OEM & aftermarket suspension, lifts, air ride suspension, shocks, steering components, etc.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-31-2013, 07:10 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Leveling Kit for a F-550

Looking to get a leveling kit for my 550.
Found the Readylift 2.5 inch kit with drop bracket for track bar.
What else would I need? Are alignment cams needed?

At what point do you need to install drop brackets for the radius arms?

Having trouble finding suspension lift parts for the 2005 to 2007 F550. More support for the newer models and the older leaf spring model s.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-31-2013, 07:20 PM

Also open to other suggestions of parts that I could put together to get me around 2.5 to 3 inches of lift. I have read that some have used parts from F350 lifts to make up something for the 450-550's.

TIA
Old 08-31-2013, 07:54 PM
Premium Member

I used the 7K LB F550 coils to level my F250. I recall they come standard on the LWB cab and chasis models only. About $99/ea from Ford. Not sure what you have in place now, but worth a look.
Old 08-31-2013, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skanj0 View Post
I used the 7K LB F550 coils to level my F250. I recall they come standard on the LWB cab and chasis models only. About $99/ea from Ford. Not sure what you have in place now, but worth a look.
Not sure which coils are in it now. I got the truck used. It seems to sit a little lower than other 550 4x4s
I have seen some 7k coils listed for sale here and there.

Did you do anything with the track bar and need any cams for the alignment?
Old 09-01-2013, 05:54 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5fifty View Post
Not sure which coils are in it now. I got the truck used. It seems to sit a little lower than other 550 4x4s
I have seen some 7k coils listed for sale here and there.

Did you do anything with the track bar and need any cams for the alignment?
I did. I did the Icon alignment cams as well as the Icon adjustable track bar. If I recall correctly, for each inch of front lift, the front axle shifts 1/4 to 1/2 inch toward the drivers side.

Best place for the 7K coils is from Ford. Part #: 5c3z-5310-AA Takes about an hour to change both. You will also need longer front shocks.
Old 09-01-2013, 06:33 AM

Quote:
I did. I did the Icon alignment cams as well as the Icon adjustable track bar. If I recall correctly, for each inch of front lift, the front axle shifts 1/4 to 1/2 inch toward the drivers side.

Best place for the 7K coils is from Ford. Part #: 5c3z-5310-AA Takes about an hour to change both. You will also need longer front shocks.
Thanks for the info. I have looked at the Icon parts and have searched the net as much as possible. I dont mind piecing parts together to get where I need to be.

I have found the Bilstien shocks too.

As for the axle moving forward, I cant have to much of that cause I am trying to squeeze 255/70r22.5's in there...LoL What can I do to keep it from moving forward with under 4 in of lift?
Old 09-01-2013, 07:22 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Thanks for the info. I have looked at the Icon parts and have searched the net as much as possible. I dont mind piecing parts together to get where I need to be.

I have found the Bilstien shocks too.

As for the axle moving forward, I cant have to much of that cause I am trying to squeeze 255/70r22.5's in there...LoL What can I do to keep it from moving forward with under 4 in of lift?
Sorry, the axle doesnt move forward, it moves sideways toward the drivers side (since the track bar is anchored to the frame near the drivers side, the higher the truck goes above the axle the more the axle shifts toward the drivers side). If anything, the axle will move backward a tad, since the radius arms are fixed where they attach to the frame, so the higher you lift the truck the more the axle "rotates" and moves rearward. Radius arm drop brackets make this better, but a 3 or 4 link setup solves this issue and also allows for much better front end alignment without the need for caster cams. Check out the kits that Trevor (PMF) offers: Welcome to Precision Metal Fabrication - USA Built suspension systems
Old 09-01-2013, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Sorry, the axle doesnt move forward, it moves sideways toward the drivers side (since the track bar is anchored to the frame near the drivers side, the higher the truck goes above the axle the more the axle shifts toward the drivers side). If anything, the axle will move backward a tad, since the radius arms are fixed where they attach to the frame, so the higher you lift the truck the more the axle "rotates" and moves rearward. Radius arm drop brackets make this better, but a 3 or 4 link setup solves this issue and also allows for much better front end alignment without the need for caster cams. Check out the kits that Trevor (PMF) offers: Welcome to Precision Metal Fabrication - USA Built suspension systems
Thanks for clearing that up. I looked at the PMF site and will be contacting them. I see that they have drop brackets for 3". SO I should be able to get an adjustable track bar, coils or spacers, and the brackets for the sway bar as well as shocks etc and hopefully get me where I need to be.
I haul a good amount of the time so I need this to be right.
I found a stock 550 setup like mine that I am going to measure for a height reference to compare.
I dont want to go much higher than 3" in lift cause I am already going to get 3" of lift out of the tires alone. Get to be a PITA climbing in and out after a long day.
Old 09-01-2013, 03:35 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Thanks for clearing that up. I looked at the PMF site and will be contacting them. I see that they have drop brackets for 3". SO I should be able to get an adjustable track bar, coils or spacers, and the brackets for the sway bar as well as shocks etc and hopefully get me where I need to be.
I haul a good amount of the time so I need this to be right.
I found a stock 550 setup like mine that I am going to measure for a height reference to compare.
I don't want to go much higher than 3" in lift cause I am already going to get 3" of lift out of the tires alone. Get to be a PITA climbing in and out after a long day.
Sounds like you will have a sweet ride!

Definitely give Trevor at PMF a call. His customer service is outstanding. A few weeks ago I ordered a set of his 3/4" diameter u-bolts and custom spring plates, at 4:30 pm PT on a Friday. An hour later I received a UPS tracking number! I thanked Trevor for the quick shipment, and he casually mentions that he had a few spare minutes at the end of the day (remember I placed a web order at 4:30PM PT), so he bent me up some custom U-bolts and got them to Fed-Ex - late on a Friday.
Old 09-01-2013, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Sounds like you will have a sweet ride!

Definitely give Trevor at PMF a call. His customer service is outstanding. A few weeks ago I ordered a set of his 3/4" diameter u-bolts and custom spring plates, at 4:30 pm PT on a Friday. An hour later I received a UPS tracking number! I thanked Trevor for the quick shipment, and he casually mentions that he had a few spare minutes at the end of the day (remember I placed a web order at 4:30PM PT), so he bent me up some custom U-bolts and got them to Fed-Ex - late on a Friday.
Thanks, I have been wanting to do this for a while now and been gather info and funds to do it.

I like to hear about companies with awesome customer service. Sounds like someone I need to talk to. From what I can see they probably have what I need or can make it.

BTW, when you get a chance can you count how many coils are on your 7K coil? There are 10 on mine just trying to see what the difference might be.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.