6in lift rear end swaying - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Suspension & Steering Discuss OEM & aftermarket suspension, lifts, air ride suspension, shocks, steering components, etc.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-31-2013, 08:46 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
6in lift rear end swaying

So i put a 6inch BDS lift on my truck around February. About a month ago i noticed the steering being very sloppy. After taking it back and fourth to a mechanic and by the end of it having a new pitman arm put in, and a new steering box put in, the steering is now nice and tight like its brand new.

But i noticed at higher speeds and by moving the wheel back and fourth, the rear end seems to sway a lot and be all over the place. Its actually pretty scary driving on the highway. So i decided to take it to a professional off road shop near me to have him look at it. He took it for a ride and said thats perfectly normal. He said the reason i started feeling it now and not when i first put it in is because the rear springs must have finally broken in. But all in all he said with big lifted trucks thats what they do and its not bad at all.

So thats where im at now. But for some reason i just feel like this cant be right. I feel like if it were there would be a lot less lifted trucks around here cause no one would want to deal with it. Especially if they take it on the highway. So basically im looking for some input from you guys. I wanna know if he in fact is right and its something i have to get used to and change my driving habits around or if there's a way to tighten it up. Thanks for any help guys!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-31-2013, 09:17 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

I suggest

checking the shocks and make sure they are doing their job

I didn't have a lot od sway with a 6 nor an 8 inch lift be it all spring or block

I however have added air bags and a rear sway bar ( front was oem) to improve towing and cornering
Old 09-03-2013, 06:18 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I feel your frustration.

I also installed a 6Ē BDS radius arm drop lift kit with replacement rear leaf springs. I installed the kit a little less than a year ago on my then brand new 2012 F250. I have not been happy with the steering and rear end wagging just like you. My truck now has rather poor steering when centered. It takes about 2Ē of steering input just to stay in my lane. Also I have the rear end wagging feeling as you explained. I tell people itís like landing a small plane in a cross wind. If I give the steering a wiggle back and forth, the truck feels like itís just leaning over and then yawing, but not steering and changing direction. I have not solved any of my problems either. I have been thinking the steering gear box could have some problem but it is brand new.

I agree with you 100%, if every lifted truck drove as loose, and squirmy as our trucks, I canít imagine there would be so many out there. I have been moments away from putting the truck back to stock, but then I figure there must be a solution so I stick it out hoping I will find something wrong. Don't get me wrong I don't blame BDS at all. I believe thier kit is very good.

Here are the steps Iíve completed trying to solve the issue and the amount of success each produced.

- I replaced the caster/camber alignment cams provided by BDS with a pair that had the most caster I could find. BDS provides 2.3/.6 cams and I found some 2.5/.3. They provide just a bit more caster and a bit less camber. This did help some of my straight line wandering and provide a bit better self centering, but only very marginally.

- I was told by my local 4X4 shop to retighten the rear axle u-bolts again. He said things will settle in and the bolts will need re-torquing a few times. This has been the best advice so far. The first time I checked the torque they definitely needed two or more rounds to make the torque spec. This did help the rear end wag feeling the most.

- I installed an aftermarket solid tubing steering link, equipped with the problem solver ball joint at the pitman arm. I was told the stock link had a tendency to flex and provide play. This made no improvement at all.

- Iím not sure what tires you have, but I was also told about tread squirm. I have 37x12.5X18 Proc Comp Extreme AT. These have rather large tall tread blocks. I have been told these tires can also move around at speed and make the truck feel like its floating. We will see as they wear down if that improves. Also we have to keep them aired up rather high to satisfy the TPMS. I think they may feel better if we could air them down a bit.

- I have been searching long and hard for a longer pitman arm to speed up my steering and help eliminate the play. Not many people have a ton of options for the '11, '12, 13 super duty.

Good luck. I hope we can both improve our trucks handling.
Old 09-03-2013, 07:44 PM

Thanks for the reply man..

Lately I've been thinking about maybe getting a sway bar for the rear end, maybe thatll help stiffen it up a bit. Was also wondering if maybe traction bars would make a difference since i currently dont have any.

As for tires I have 37x13.5x18 Toyo MT. Ive heard they can be a bit rough and tend to pull a bit. But it still shouldnt be that bad in the rear.

Ill have to re check the torques on the nuts in the back, maybe thatll help too..

But all I know is im left scratching my head, and its annoying because it just doesnt feel safe to drive on the highway. Which I am planning on taking a few trips out of state in the near future.

But good luck to you too and thanks for the help!
Old 05-01-2014, 05:40 AM
Premium Member

I know its an old thread but I found out the issue with the swaying is caused by the track bar and steering linkage not being parallel with each other. I had the same issue and went through the same steps. I found a shop that specializes in alignments on lifted trucks and once the truck was up on the lift he showed me how the front axle would move side to side (slightly) as the steering went back and forth. I also have some bump steering as a result of this. So the front axle moves abit which cause the truck to have that sway. Sorry for the late reply but hope this may help others.
Old 05-03-2014, 08:16 AM

I have a zone 6" lift, a bds spinoff. It drives straight and true. The only thing I wasn't happy with was the stiffness of the springs and add a leafs. Also the shocks are garbage.

I'm thinking it's really something not right in your front end' like the previous poster said.
Old 05-09-2014, 04:00 AM

I have a 6" lift and rear sway bar. Plus 4 35"s on the back. My truck is tight on the highway even at 80mph.
Old 05-09-2014, 09:26 PM

6" with no rear sway bar on my 89 , even with a car on top i go 80 down the freeway just fine
Old 05-09-2014, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zpi28 View Post
I have a 6" lift and rear sway bar. Plus 4 35"s on the back. My truck is tight on the highway even at 80mph.
you don't count
Old 05-10-2014, 07:52 PM

I have a 4" BDS lift on a Brand New 2014. I get the sway mainly when I am towing 5000+ lbs on the bumper hitch. it's a little squirmy, and getting an alignment from a Firestone store helped general driving A LOT.

My buddy experienced the sway today when we bough a new 28' race trailer and it scared him. he's very used to trailers and towing. he was like WTF... I just said "I told You".

I plan on testing the tires, but will be checking the ubolts, not sure how to check the steering stuff.

EDIT: I just looked at my steering and they are not parallel for sure. To me that's a BDS issue since they designed the lift, and arm. I don't see anyway to really adjust that, so what is the fix??

Last edited by Rap_Rider; 05-10-2014 at 08:14 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.