Unstable Steering after wheels tires level kit - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Suspension & Steering Discuss OEM & aftermarket suspension, lifts, air ride suspension, shocks, steering components, etc.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-28-2013, 03:59 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Unstable Steering after wheels tires level kit

I have a 2013 F-250 4x4. A week after buying truck I hired local shop to install Rough Country leveling springs in front and replaced 2" blocks in rear with 3", installed 35" nitto tires / 20" wheels and ended with alignment. This is my 2nd F-250 in 6 months, totaled first one (2012 model). Immediately I noticed the 2013 didn't handle as well as the 2012 after installing the exact same equipment. Today I made my first trip on an interstate and I will describe this the best I can....when switching lanes (left or right) the steering seemed a little quick but it was like the rear end of the truck was always trying to catch up with the front end (a feeling like the truck is hinged in the middle). It felt as if the front of the truck responded to the slight turn switching lanes to quick and a second later I could feel the rear of the truck align with the front. Not a safe feeling at all. A couple things I noticed/encountered after installing aftermarket parts: front tires rubbed bumper bracket and back of fender well on opposite side of tire. Bumper was 1/2" out if square and I corrected that. Loosened two lower fender bolts and moved 1/4" to prevent rub in rear. It's notable the exact same equipment did not ever rub on the 2012 truck, not even in hard bumpy turn. I also noticed the front tires extend outward beyond the fender 1/2" wider on the front verses the rear. Never noticed this on 2012 truck. Ok please give me some help here guys.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-29-2013, 05:49 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

What are the specs of your rims? Backspacing and Offset?
Old 08-29-2013, 07:48 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

20x10x12 5" backspace. Moto-metal 955
Old 08-29-2013, 07:55 AM

Got any pics? I just had mine done as well...I think my caster may still be a little bit off. I did a Carli 2.5 pintop leveling kit. I describe it as dog legging or dog tracking...but it doesn't sound as bad as yours. Did you do a adj. track bar?
Old 08-29-2013, 08:08 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Track bar was not adjusted as far as I know
Old 08-29-2013, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonCoot View Post
Track bar was not adjusted as far as I know
Well, if you look at the front of your truck, I bet your driver's side front tire is sticking out about 1"+ farther than your passenger's side....that causes most of the problem. An adjustable track bar fixes this. So in other words, it is not tracking correctly.

Last edited by Black2011SD; 08-29-2013 at 08:18 AM.
Old 08-29-2013, 09:08 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Quote:
I have a 2013 F-250 4x4. A week after buying truck I hired local shop to install Rough Country leveling springs in front and replaced 2" blocks in rear with 3", installed 35" nitto tires / 20" wheels and ended with alignment. This is my 2nd F-250 in 6 months, totaled first one (2012 model). Immediately I noticed the 2013 didn't handle as well as the 2012 after installing the exact same equipment. Today I made my first trip on an interstate and I will describe this the best I can....when switching lanes (left or right) the steering seemed a little quick but it was like the rear end of the truck was always trying to catch up with the front end (a feeling like the truck is hinged in the middle). It felt as if the front of the truck responded to the slight turn switching lanes to quick and a second later I could feel the rear of the truck align with the front. Not a safe feeling at all. A couple things I noticed/encountered after installing aftermarket parts: front tires rubbed bumper bracket and back of fender well on opposite side of tire. Bumper was 1/2" out if square and I corrected that. Loosened two lower fender bolts and moved 1/4" to prevent rub in rear. It's notable the exact same equipment did not ever rub on the 2012 truck, not even in hard bumpy turn. I also noticed the front tires extend outward beyond the fender 1/2" wider on the front verses the rear. Never noticed this on 2012 truck. Ok please give me some help here guys.
How many miles are on your tires and how much pressure do you have in them. A lot of guys complain about the same things that you are experiencing when the tires are new especially the Nitto Trail Grapplers. I had the same issue on my Dodge a few years ago but after a few highway trips and 500 or so miles the tires felt way better. The tire shop had also inflated them to max psi so I dropped them down to around 40 psi and some of that squirmy feel went away.

Do you know what you caster is set at in your alignment currently?
Old 08-29-2013, 12:44 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

It does appear the driver side front tire is extending out beyond the fender slightly more than the passenger side. The trail grapplers have more than 50 psi don't know exact because my gurgle only goes to 50. Don't know the caster setting, can find out tomorrow when alignment guy returns, forgot to ask for a printout after alignment. In addition to you guys, I've talked with Power Products, Rough Country, local 4x4 custom shop and ProComp in Memphis and the first suggestion from everyone is track bar related. I looked under the truck and the track bar is definitely one sided now. But everyone seems to be confused as to why I'm having handling issues with only a 2" coil spring lift. Well actually the lift if probably more like 3-4" because I went from 18" to 20" wheels and stock tires to 35" tires. I am about to order the Cali adjustable track bar from Power Products. After I install I will post results. Thanks very much to you all that helped me with this problem. I hope the adjustable track bar enables me to have safer handling in this truck.
Old 08-29-2013, 12:48 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Quote:
It does appear the driver side front tire is extending out beyond the fender slightly more than the passenger side. The trail grapplers have more than 50 psi don't know exact because my gurgle only goes to 50. Don't know the caster setting, can find out tomorrow when alignment guy returns, forgot to ask for a printout after alignment. In addition to you guys, I've talked with Power Products, Rough Country, local 4x4 custom shop and ProComp in Memphis and the first suggestion from everyone is track bar related. I looked under the truck and the track bar is definitely one sided now. But everyone seems to be confused as to why I'm having handling issues with only a 2" coil spring lift. Well actually the lift if probably more like 3-4" because I went from 18" to 20" wheels and stock tires to 35" tires. I am about to order the Cali adjustable track bar from Power Products. After I install I will post results. Thanks very much to you all that helped me with this problem. I hope the adjustable track bar enables me to have safer handling in this truck.
Although I do suggest the track bar to center the axle from a cosmetic standpoint and it will be a good thing to do in the long run, I doubt that it will fix your handling issues. Since I doubt that the 2" RC kit came with caster bushings if your alignment shop didn't install any I would guess that your caster is down around 2 degrees or less. This tends to make the truck wander around on the road and have a very weak return to center feeling. I would look at that first as well as lower the psi and put a few miles on those tires.
Old 08-29-2013, 01:12 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Sorry, tires have about 1200 miles on them. If caster is 2-degrees or less this is a problem? If so what would be the best angle in degrees?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.