Is my Logic Correct?....Probably Not - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Suspension & Steering Discuss OEM & aftermarket suspension, lifts, air ride suspension, shocks, steering components, etc.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-23-2013, 08:57 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Is my Logic Correct?....Probably Not

Sorry in advance for the long post, I am new to diesels and truck suspensions so bear with me.....

I have an 05 F350 CCLB w/ 6in "Custom Lift". I bought the truck with the lift already on it and now want to upgrade some of the suspension components. The things I do know about the lift is that I have dual bilstein 5100 up front and the rear suspension is lifted with blocks. My Coil spring up front has a Ready Lift leveling kit spacer on top so my thoughts are that maybe the coil spring is made for a 4 or 5 inch lift and the leveling spacer lifted it up to 6 inchs but I may be wrong. I want to replace the coil spring with a 6 inch lift coil spring(maybe pro comp or the skyjacker soft ride) because I'm trying to achieve a softer ride and want to get rid of the leveling spacer. Is my thoughts correct that removing the leveling spacer will improve ride comfort?(Ive heard that leveling spacers can have a harsh ride)

For the rear, I want to take out the blocks and the current leafs and put in a set of 6 inch lift leaf springs instead of having lift blocks. To top it off, I wanted to upgrade the 5100's to 5160's all the way around.

Now, when i see complete lift kits they say something like 8in front/5.5in rear. Since I'm replacing the leafs, Should I get 6 inch lift leafs or will i need a different size since I want the truck to be level with the front?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-23-2013, 09:31 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

If you get rid of the front spacers and switch to a taller spring it should improve your ride.

Lift kits that show 8"front/5-1/2"rear are taking into account that the truck sits higher in the rear from the factory, so their lift kit will also level the truck.
If you are going with 6" front springs, then for the rear (if you are getting rid of your blocks) you do want to go with 6" lift springs to match the front.

Here is a pic of my 5" rear springs that match my 5" front lift:
Old 08-23-2013, 10:36 AM

Thanks for the info. Exactly what I needed to know.

Would you recommend any leaf or coil springs for what i want?

The only leafs that Ive seen so far have been the skyjacker soft ride leafs, but I haven't looked overly hard. As far as the springs I've seen pro comp and skyjacker but dont have any info on those two springs to know if they would be good with my set up
Old 08-23-2013, 12:44 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Keep looking, there are quite a few choices out there.

One choice is Ford - 2005 - 2007 Super Duty - Individual Components & Accessories - ICON Vehicle Dynamics
They have a good reputation!
Old 08-23-2013, 12:53 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Raul@Stealth Automotive
deaver springs are also one of the best.. they can custom make any spring height for your truck...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.