3inch lift on 33's = sloppy steering - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Suspension & Steering Discuss OEM & aftermarket suspension, lifts, air ride suspension, shocks, steering components, etc.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-22-2013, 06:54 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
3inch lift on 33's = sloppy steering

just picked up a 01 excursion like an hour ago ....106k miles ....has a 3 inch lift on a set of knobby 33's ....since im new to the lifted truck world , I was told the tires are what caused the sway ....driving on the hwy , if I hit a bump or caught a grove in the road , it felt like it would steer itself ....also the steering wheel is crooked while driving straight ....I love the way it looks but im concerned to put my kids in the truck for safety reasons , could it be just the tires that cause this? ...anyone ever have a similar prob like this or knows steps to correct it ? I was thinkin start with an alignment
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-23-2013, 07:33 AM

anyone ? im trying to figure out if that's how lifted truck rides with big sidewalled knobby tires or maybe theres something I need to add .....I want it done right ...the guy said something about dropping the pittman arm ....not sure whats involved in that ...not sure if it helps but it looks the lift is a few blocks on top of the leaf springs and white struts with red boot covers
Old 08-23-2013, 07:48 AM

Sounds like you need to have the front end checked out. Possible bad tie rods, ball joints, pitman arm.. or a combination of all of that.

My duramax has doesn't have 33 inch knobby tires so I'm not sure what it feels like with those type of tires.
Old 08-23-2013, 07:50 AM
7.3 4 Ever! Nothing else!

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Steering Stabalizer?
Old 08-23-2013, 07:55 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

someone probably just put the lift on it and didn't get the steering wheel centered. An alignment shop can fix that, also curious if they replaced the track bar with an adjustable unit or a dropped trackbar bracket. I am no expert on lifts, but I don't think you need a dropped pitman arm on a 3 inch lift
Old 08-23-2013, 08:25 AM
Emergency Services

Wobbling is probably your track bar, I just ordered a front level kit from Carli for that same reason. I've started to hate driving my truck because of the wobble. The tires could also be the issue, what type are they?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 08-23-2013, 09:21 AM

Bf goodrich mud terrain TA 305/70/16. Says tri-cord 3ply sidewall
Old 08-23-2013, 09:22 AM

Anyone have a pic of a trackbar ? Tryin to learn about all this suspension stuff
Old 08-25-2013, 04:29 PM
Premium Member

The track bar goes from the frame to the axle. The drag linkk goes from the steering box more or less to the horizontal bar in front of the axle. Adjusting the sleeve on the drag link will center your steering wheel.

Being that Excursions are leaf sprung, I really doubt the track bar is that big of an issue, although an adjustable track bar wouldn't be a bad idea. However, considering how tight that bolt is at the axle, you may as well pay a shop to put one in.

I honestly believe it's a steering linkage issue: worn ball joints and/or tie rods ends. I have run 14.5 inch wide tires on my truck WITHOUT a steering stabilizer and it tracked just fine. In fact, I've owned my truck since July 2006 and it had a steering stabilizer on it for about 2 months before I bent the thing wheeling and NEVER replaced it. Hence my opinion that on a leaf sprung truck, a steerig stabilizer is a mask/Band Aid for the real problem.

Another thing to consider: is there is slop in the steering wheel? This can be fixed with a simple adjustment to the steering box.
Old 08-25-2013, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karls03 View Post
The track bar goes from the frame to the axle. The drag linkk goes from the steering box more or less to the horizontal bar in front of the axle. Adjusting the sleeve on the drag link will center your steering wheel.

Being that Excursions are leaf sprung, I really doubt the track bar is that big of an issue, although an adjustable track bar wouldn't be a bad idea. However, considering how tight that bolt is at the axle, you may as well pay a shop to put one in.

I honestly believe it's a steering linkage issue: worn ball joints and/or tie rods ends. I have run 14.5 inch wide tires on my truck WITHOUT a steering stabilizer and it tracked just fine. In fact, I've owned my truck since July 2006 and it had a steering stabilizer on it for about 2 months before I bent the thing wheeling and NEVER replaced it. Hence my opinion that on a leaf sprung truck, a steerig stabilizer is a mask/Band Aid for the real problem.

Another thing to consider: is there is slop in the steering wheel? This can be fixed with a simple adjustment to the steering box.
yes there is some slop in steering wheel .....the more I thought about it I was thinking tie rods or ball joints ....I have a real good truck shop to bring it to , only problem is they deal with stock fleet vehicles only ....not lifted ones , other than ball joints and tie rods , do you think they will be able to nail the whole issue down at once ? i guess my question is , is it something that a good mechanic can figure out or is it something you need experience with llifts to make proper adjustments ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.