measuring caster - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Suspension & Steering Discuss OEM & aftermarket suspension, lifts, air ride suspension, shocks, steering components, etc.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-15-2013, 12:27 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
measuring caster

so ill start by saying im no suspension expert. ive been reading up lately about how to get these trucks to handle better and one common theme is caster. most say that 4-5 degrees is where you want it. is there a way to measure at home thats accurate? i used the bump stop pads on the axle to take my measurement. if im doing it right im at like 12 degrees negative. also my front springs are not straight up and down, they bow away from the shocks (toward front of vehicle. so if this is right then i think i have pinpointed why im having some steering issues. or maybe im doing it wrong and the pad is at an angle to begin with.
so question is how can you measure caster at home. lift is a n icon 7" with 1" spacer under spring. all supporting equipment that came with the icon kit is installed. thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-15-2013, 01:22 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Would love to know as well to try and check out my truck. Hope someone can give you the answer. I am tired of the bump steer lol
Old 08-16-2013, 10:23 AM

all the talk about caster on this site and nobody knows how to measure?
Old 08-16-2013, 10:26 AM

You could probably use an Iphone app and stick it on your front cover of your diff...
Old 08-16-2013, 10:31 AM

Another reason I am a big fan of the OUO ALA arms. They will get your caster in check! Plus they will keep your steering in check as well since your steering on your axle is designed around a radius arm setup. I know they are expensive, but you get what you pay for in this industry.
Old 08-16-2013, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by layson View Post
You could probably use an Iphone app and stick it on your front cover of your diff...
So your saying I can measure from the top of the diff? I already have a tool to measure the degree of the angle
Old 08-16-2013, 02:13 PM

On the front face, my cover is flat so it is easy for me.
Old 08-17-2013, 06:55 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94slowbra View Post
So your saying I can measure from the top of the diff? I already have a tool to measure the degree of the angle
Quote:
Originally Posted by layson View Post
On the front face, my cover is flat so it is easy for me.
There are caster bushings in the axle ends that, IMO, would make this inaccurate if you don't not have a control to measure against. As in, you went to a shop, got accurate numbers and used those as your control for future adjustments.

Speaking of those caster bushings/shims/whatever, have you tried moving those?

**EDIT** For some reason, I thought that you had an 2003/2004. therefore anything else I had added previously was irrelevant. Sorry about that.

Anyway, now that I am on the right page, some form of lowering on the trailing arms (at the frame end) would help correct this caster issue. If it's not feasible to lower the trailing arms at this point, remove the spacers, that will defintely roll the axle back to where it needs to be. Pushing the axle down and not moving the trailing arms in a matching motion is how the caster gets all jacked up on coiled up trucks.

Last edited by Karls03; 08-17-2013 at 07:49 AM.
Old 08-17-2013, 07:02 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94slowbra View Post
all the talk about caster on this site and nobody knows how to measure?
Almost forgot, I've got some old skool alignment tools that I would use if I had any questions about my steering settings. I'd probably have to remove the hubs because they are magnetic. Although, that heavy truck may squash the plates that are used to input 20* of steering to read the caster. Improvise, adapt, and overcome.
Old 08-17-2013, 07:38 AM

Did you ever get the 3 links ? I know when I first put mine on my springs were arched like yours but once I got the adjustments right the springs ended up being straight with no more arch in them and my castor was able to set at 4.5R and 4.0L and truck handles great. If you still have the radius arm drop set up you need to look at a 3 or 4 link to fix the axle roll issue and allow caster adjustment.

I know when I did the TEI spacer on my 4.5" kit my springs arched a little after the install and knowing what I know now I wish I would of done a 3link arm or 4 link set up as that would of fix that back then.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.