2013 F250 Steering Question?? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Suspension & Steering Discuss OEM & aftermarket suspension, lifts, air ride suspension, shocks, steering components, etc.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 08-15-2013, 12:06 PM
Member
 

Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Lubbock
Posts: 33
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
2013 F250 Steering Question??

I just purchased a new 2013 F250 and had the dealer put on my Icon 4.5" lift with 35x12.50x20's. Coming from and older truck where I had feel in the steering... This new truck steering seems as if it was real loose because it wonders a little bit and I don't have as much "feel" in the wheel. I do notice that I have to turn the wheel alot further when turning into a parking lot than my old truck. (dodge) I asked the guys at the dealer and they told me the newer pickups have electric steering assist and that is why it is real easy to turn the wheel.

Does anyone know if you can adjust this where I have more stable feel?

I also installed the Icon dual steering stablizer kit as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old 08-15-2013, 02:25 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor
 

Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Traverse City, MI
Posts: 937
Thanks: 11
Thanked 15 Times in 15 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaiderStroke View Post
I just purchased a new 2013 F250 and had the dealer put on my Icon 4.5" lift with 35x12.50x20's. Coming from and older truck where I had feel in the steering... This new truck steering seems as if it was real loose because it wonders a little bit and I don't have as much "feel" in the wheel. I do notice that I have to turn the wheel alot further when turning into a parking lot than my old truck. (dodge) I asked the guys at the dealer and they told me the newer pickups have electric steering assist and that is why it is real easy to turn the wheel.

Does anyone know if you can adjust this where I have more stable feel?

I also installed the Icon dual steering stablizer kit as well.
I would have the alignment checked to make sure that you have around 4 degrees of caster.

The Dodges have a higher ratio in the steering box and a slightly smaller steering wheel. That's why they feel a bit more responsive and you have a tighter feel. I have both a 2010 Ram 2500 and an '11 F250 and it is very weird going back and forth between the 2.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3  
Old 08-23-2013, 08:01 AM
Member
 

Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Lubbock
Posts: 33
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Thank SkydRam! I figured something would be different. Do you notice that you have to turn the wheel alot further in corners or pulling into a parking lot?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #4  
Old 08-23-2013, 01:38 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor
 

Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Traverse City, MI
Posts: 937
Thanks: 11
Thanked 15 Times in 15 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaiderStroke View Post
Thank SkydRam! I figured something would be different. Do you notice that you have to turn the wheel alot further in corners or pulling into a parking lot?
Yes,
After driving the Dodge for a few days I forget how much extra steering input the Ford needs. It makes for a few close calls when pulling into a parking lot sometimes but it also makes the truck feel less sketchy at high speeds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5  
Old 08-25-2013, 02:53 PM
Member
 

Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Lubbock
Posts: 33
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Yeah just making a right/left hand turn on to a street, the Ford is over one full turn.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6  
Old 08-27-2013, 08:32 AM
Member
 

Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Lubbock
Posts: 33
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Thought I would check the air pressure this morning while it was cool... Dealer put 75 lbs. in the tires and it says 65 lb. max cold on the side wall. So I let them out to 60 lbs. and that has helped a little with the steering. I think I will still need to check the caster and see where it is at.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #7  
Old 08-27-2013, 10:59 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor
 

Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Traverse City, MI
Posts: 937
Thanks: 11
Thanked 15 Times in 15 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaiderStroke View Post
Thought I would check the air pressure this morning while it was cool... Dealer put 75 lbs. in the tires and it says 65 lb. max cold on the side wall. So I let them out to 60 lbs. and that has helped a little with the steering. I think I will still need to check the caster and see where it is at.
Wow!
I bet that it was a little squirlly and rides kinda stiff. Depending on what tires you are running I would go down to about 40-45 up front and around 35 in the rear when not towing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #8  
Old 08-27-2013, 05:22 PM
Member
 

Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Lubbock
Posts: 33
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I'm running a Nitto Trail Grappler in a 35x12.50x20. You would run the air that low?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #9  
Old 08-28-2013, 09:36 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor
 

Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Traverse City, MI
Posts: 937
Thanks: 11
Thanked 15 Times in 15 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaiderStroke View Post
I'm running a Nitto Trail Grappler in a 35x12.50x20. You would run the air that low?
Yup,
That's one of the stiffest tires in that size. That tire at 65psi will support 3195 ea so unless you have 3000 lbs in the bed of your truck they are way over inflated for when your truck is empty. I would experiment around 35 psi in the rear and see what you think. Since the front of your truck is around 4500 lbs that's where the higher 40-45 psi comes in to play.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #10  
Old 08-28-2013, 03:42 PM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Corvallis, OR
Posts: 3,016
Thanks: 6
Thanked 16 Times in 15 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaiderStroke View Post
I'm running a Nitto Trail Grappler in a 35x12.50x20. You would run the air that low?
See if you can find the load tables for your tire. That will tell you the recommended psi. Then if you tow, you can air up your tires to the desired level. Air pressure can make a pretty big difference in ride quality.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 08:00 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
Garage Plus, Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

vB.Sponsors