Traction bars - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Suspension & Steering Discuss OEM & aftermarket suspension, lifts, air ride suspension, shocks, steering components, etc.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-13-2013, 06:53 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Traction bars

I'm planning on making traction bars for my 01 f250 7.3l. I bought some 3/4 od schedule 80 pipe today and was going to cut it down to 67.5" and put steel 5/8 shank heim ends on the ends. I'm now worried that the pipe is to small. It measures 1 1/16 OD 1/8 sidewall 3/4 ID. Any thoughts? Also I'm running 35" tires with a 4" lift and I'm tired of the axle wrap.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-13-2013, 08:27 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Yes and no. It depends on what style your going to make.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 08-13-2013, 08:38 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by hucorey View Post
Yes and no. It depends on what style your going to make.

Straight bars that would be a little weak IMO. But if you make them like OUO's or PMF's with that pipe you will be fine.
Old 08-13-2013, 09:17 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks for the quick responses. The plan is to make a straight traction bar. I'm going to weld a mount to the axle between the u-bolts and one on the flat part of the frame. On the pmf traction, is the piece of metal on top for structural strength or looks? If strength that makes sense and maybe that would work for me to do also.
Old 08-13-2013, 10:10 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armey37 View Post
Thanks for the quick responses. The plan is to make a straight traction bar. I'm going to weld a mount to the axle between the u-bolts and one on the flat part of the frame. On the pmf traction, is the piece of metal on top for structural strength or looks? If strength that makes sense and maybe that would work for me to do also.
The triangulation PMF uses is for strength. And IMO it looks better too. But looks are an opinion in the eye of the beholder.
Old 08-14-2013, 03:37 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
The 2pt straight bar will be a rough ride and will stop axle wrap, but your material is not heavy enough. A 3pt with leaf spring shackle mount on the frame will still allow for much better ride.

Think of it this way when laying out a pattern to make a circle. You use a known distance (radius). You have a fixed point on the frame of your truck (center of the circle). Move the other end up and down (axle), the motion makes a circle, not a straight line up and down. Since your axle is fairly rigid (it is rigid from the front leaf eyes to the axle but shackles in the back), it will push the axle very hard to the back and put a lot of pressure on the front leaf mounts. That's where the shackle mount on the frame comes into play with a 3pt connection and allows the axle to float up and down. The over/under mount on the axle fight equally against each other under axle wrapping as it creates a push/pull effect essentially canceling each force.

Hopefully I explained it well enough as I'm more of a visual person. Lol. :thumbup:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.