Hub stuck in locked cause wandering? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Suspension & Steering Discuss OEM & aftermarket suspension, lifts, air ride suspension, shocks, steering components, etc.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-05-2013, 08:23 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Hub stuck in locked cause wandering?

Trying to work out the steering problems on my 2004 F350.

Ball Joints are good. Yet it wanders, your turn left and need to counter turn with a right to straighten out. I'm thinking U-joints maybe? (whats a good way to check).
I have a hub stuck in locked on the passenger side. All components look tight no play in then (drag link, tie rod, trac bar, pitman arm).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-06-2013, 10:31 AM
Premium Member

As far as the hub goes, remove it, clean, lube, and re-install. Make sure to put some grease on the axle stub shaft too. You don't need to gobb it on, but put some on.

I seriously doubt that your steering issues are due to the hubs sticking. I can't tell you how many miles that I have put on my truck before I remember that I manually locked the hubs the last time I was out wheeling. Jack one wheel (turned left lock for the left side and right lock for the right) and rotate the tire looking at the axle steering u-joints. You'll probably need to lock the hub to get it to turn. That would be my first move to check the u-joints.

Last edited by Karls03; 08-06-2013 at 10:36 AM.
Old 08-06-2013, 11:45 AM

Years ago my dad's 1991 F250 started this god awful wobble that felt like a really out of balance tire. When we inspected the front end for obvious issues, we noticed that the left hub was locked and the right wasn't. Guess what? When we unlocked the hub, the problem went away, when we locked both hubs, the problem went away.

Get that hub unstuck, rebuilt, repaired or replaced and see if the problem still exists, then troubleshoot from there.
Old 08-06-2013, 12:07 PM
Premium Member

Yeah, I suppose if one is locked and one isn't there would be an issue. I was assuming both were locked. That's probably because I wouldn't knowingly drive my truck with just one locked.
Old 08-06-2013, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponyexpress94 View Post
Years ago my dad's 1991 F250 started this god awful wobble that felt like a really out of balance tire. When we inspected the front end for obvious issues, we noticed that the left hub was locked and the right wasn't. Guess what? When we unlocked the hub, the problem went away, when we locked both hubs, the problem went away.

Get that hub unstuck, rebuilt, repaired or replaced and see if the problem still exists, then troubleshoot from there.
Nope both hubs are locked, I have a vac leak in the locked hub(Passenger side). It happened 200kms after I pulled axles and replaced the driver side vac seal.

Anyways U-joints or Steering Box I'm thinking? Truck has 338,000kms. It's been lifted on 37s from 200,000
Old 08-06-2013, 01:09 PM

u can bypass the vac pulse lock by switching from lock to manual 2 times or more
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.