icon vs king - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Suspension & Steering Discuss OEM & aftermarket suspension, lifts, air ride suspension, shocks, steering components, etc.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-05-2013, 01:36 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
icon vs king

so ive been looking at shocks for my truck for a little while now and i have come to the conclusion that i shouldnt skimp here. could something like a bilstein 5160 be good enough, maybe or maybe not. id rather spend a little more and get something that i know will do what i want, control the big a$$ truck. so that brings me to this. i have an 8" icon lift: icon dual rate coils up front and their plush ride leafs in the rear. so naturally i'd give icon a shot at the shocks. i want a 2.5" shock. icon offers a 2.5" with and without a resi with a price difference of about $120. from what i have seen the 2.5" kings only come with a resi and run about $950 per pair. both are rebuildable and both are custom valved. so which one is better? the icons would run me $1640 (resi front and no resi rear) and the kings would be $1900.
also trevor at PMF has informed me about his custom race series shocks made by a company called ADS. 2.5" runs $350 with out resi and $400. i cant find much about these guys in the superduty world so im a little hesitant about going with them. i know trevor is a good guy and sells a quality product so id think they would be a good product.
anyway fire your opinions away and let me know what you think is the best shock for a 90% pavement truck looking to smooth things out. thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-05-2013, 02:38 PM

I would run the icon shocks with reservoirs, it is an icon kit. You won't have to mess with valving them. You can call them and they will help you out. Icon is a great company and good people working for them. I would skip the reservoir rears, not worth it in my opinion.

If you just want bling then go for the king's....
Old 08-05-2013, 05:36 PM

ive spoken with icon and king, both very knowledgeable and helpful, and also with a couple of third party companies to get their opinions. i was leaning towards the icons but then i ran across the kings for not that much more and know they have a good rep. i like that fact that the icon shocks valving would mate perfectly with the icon springs, just didnt know if the kings were that much more of a shock for a few bucks more.
i agree that i dont need a reservoir in the back, still not sure i need them in the front, thats why im looking for peoples experience and thoughts. for me bling is not nearly as important as function. thanks for your input
Old 08-05-2013, 05:47 PM

There is also a difference in internal shock geometry as well that would push me towards icon. Just pull up the spec sheets for the shocks and you will see.
Old 08-05-2013, 06:04 PM

Can you elaborate a little? I don't know much at all about shocks which is why I've been having the internal argument for a couple of weeks now. I could pull the sheets but I need it in dummy terms to understand probably. Thanks
Old 08-06-2013, 12:21 PM

Just look at compressed and extended length for the same exact size shock. King is different than practically everyone else, essentially less travel for the same size shock. Most the time it really doesn't matter, but it does to me.

http://www.kingshocks.com/products/p...formance-race/
Old 08-07-2013, 08:37 AM

so no one else on here has high end shocks and has an opinion on them?
Old 08-07-2013, 03:16 PM

Icon makes a great shock. If you already have Icon's coil springs, get the shocks that match the spring rate+ the truck there on. I don't get the King= bling, King shocks are race proven. Both can be re built and tuned, same with Fox. As far as reservoirs, they let the shock shaft travel completely into the shock body, letting the fluid compress into the res. A second benefit is cooling due to more fluid and the remote res being further away from the shock body where the heat is generated. Depending how the amount of travel your suspension has, the shock my not need to travel far enough to justify having the res.

BTW, love that 'Stang, notches are my favorite Fox-body
Old 08-07-2013, 03:32 PM

I would say they are bling, they are shiny and have a nice blue color to them! I bet a lot of people buy them just because of that.

No question that they make a great shock, but for this application it doesn't make sense to me. Unless you want that look...
Old 08-07-2013, 06:31 PM

Good point about the reservoir letting the shaft travel all the way into the shock body, I did not know that. I know about the cooling, I don't see my truck needing the extra cooling. Does the resi allow for better dampening overall of just in extended use when the oil gets hot? Again I'm not going yo use the shocks enough to need extra cooling.
I'm leaning more towards just 2.5 smooth body icons all around. Should be good for my application and much better than my crappy bilstein/edelbrock combo I have now.
The stang use to be the toy, the 350 has seemed to take over recently. Funny how that happens
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.