4wd and steering used to work, now hops when turning - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Suspension & Steering Discuss OEM & aftermarket suspension, lifts, air ride suspension, shocks, steering components, etc.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-03-2013, 12:41 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
4wd and steering used to work, now hops when turning

Hey question here. I used my 4wd last january 2013. Towed a jeep up a forest service road through a bunch of switch backs up a hill. It's a 1996 Powerstroke 5speed. 4wd worked great! In march of 2013 I experienced the horrible terrifying death wobble! Turns out my front calipers were seizing. So got that all done and had installed a steering stabilizer shock. So just recently I decided to change all my fluids before a big road trip towing the boat. Changed rear diff fluid, transfer case, the ZF-5, and the front diff as well as engine oil. From my understanding the front can use 80-90 gear oil 4 quarts? And the t-case is 2quarts of Mercon V ? After locking the hubs in and putting it in 4wd drive, driving straight is fine but turning, it makes a really bad clunking sound and starts hopping and bouncing. Tires are 315's on 16" rim. Keep in mind, I never had this issue before being in 4wd. Especially towing the jeep up the FSR and going around switch backs up the mountain road. My last truck was a 2004 F150 4wd all stock for 4yrs of owning it and never had odd 4wd issues and previous to that was a 1986 Toyota pickup 4x4 lifted on 33's with 5.29 yukon gears and detroit tru trac's. I don't think the front is locked. Especially after having the front axle diff cover off, which I believe is a dana 60 correct? It's not welded and deffinately not a detroit locker in there or a lunch box. Looked stock to me? Open or LS. So why is it hopping/ bouncing when I go to make a turn? Not enough fluid in the T-case or diff? Wrong fluid? Or is the steering stabilizer shock mounted incorrectly which I can tell you, it rubs a little bit on the front diff. It's a skyjacker stabilizer. Or could it even be front drive shaft related?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-03-2013, 06:51 AM

Are you always in 4wd? On paved roads? The only time you should have 4wd locked in is if you're turning on soft ground (dirt, mud, sand, gravel, snow).
Old 08-03-2013, 07:19 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Maybe your 4wd wasn't really working properly before. Now you changed the fluids helped. All sounds normal to me. Even when your out of 4wd but your hubs are still locked in, your still going to get some hop on sharp turns like driving around a parking lot.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 08-03-2013, 07:22 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

that was hard to read and harder to figure out what truck you were talking about

lets say on mine an 06 f 250 with a LS Sterling rear and a Dana Super 60 front
will hop like hell in a turn on the dry

so bad that I installed a switch to bypass the auto hubs when I want 2 low

this is completely normal even on wet slimy roads you will have the feeling of the rear pushing the front straight while the front tries to turn

I have no clue why you would get any hop or feeling with the hubs locked and not in 4x4 ? if that were the case I would have probably caught mine being locked before I drove 5k miles LOL unless you have some iffy u joints in the front axle ?
Old 08-03-2013, 08:36 AM

Well, I was a bit buzzed last night lol and I re-read it, clear as mud to me haha. I was just try out the 4wd in front of my street a couple weeks ago when I noticed it. Maybe it's normal then. Just don't remember ever having the bouncing/ hopping issue before, even on my other trucks. I don't leave my hubs locked in either. Forgot one time to unlock them on my toyota and I could hear a humming sound from my front end, turned out to be the hubs locked. I'll just leave er as it is then and assume my 4wd is perfectly fine.
Old 08-04-2013, 09:34 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Lol. They just taste soo good.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 08-04-2013, 09:38 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Check the u-joints
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.