Engaging stock overload spring sooner - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Suspension & Steering Discuss OEM & aftermarket suspension, lifts, air ride suspension, shocks, steering components, etc.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-09-2013, 03:12 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Engaging stock overload spring sooner

I have an 01 f250 that I use to haul my four wheelers on an atv deck in the bed and tow my ~6500 pound camper. Well it squats pretty good loaded up even with the weight distributing hitch setup correctly. Although air bags would be nice, I need a couple other things first (transmission cooler the main one). I am thinking there is a way to engage the factory overload sooner which would keep the rear end up a little better. Been searching around and thinking extended bumpstops to activate the overload would work. These are about 20 bucks for a set of two so would be about 40bucks for 4 and do the trick. Anyone done this? Pics or part numbers would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-09-2013, 03:47 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
try timbrens
Old 07-09-2013, 03:49 PM

Timbren SES | Timbren Industries Inc. Ride Control ProductsTimbren Industries Inc. Ride Control Products
Old 07-10-2013, 04:27 AM

Thinking of using these.
http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewi...d=111113491825
Old 07-10-2013, 07:31 AM

You do not want those from ebay, those are bump stops which change when you frame bottoms out. If you are bottomed out, it will make for a harsher ride.

I thought someone made thicker top overload rubbers but do not recall.
Sounds like you need something like the timbrens or airbags.

I would do it right rather than trying to find a cheap temporary solution
You can find good used airbags for decent prices. Worst case, get just the airbags and air them up manually when towing till you csn afford everything else
Old 07-10-2013, 09:06 AM

I am planning to replace the pads on the overload springs with these so instead of the overload kicking in when it's dropped 4 or so inches it will kick in around a 2 inch drop in rear ride height. Not actually replacing factory bump stops. If its already a riding on the overloads, you think it will ride rougher with the same load still on the overloads?
Old 07-10-2013, 12:47 PM
Premium Member

Why not put a block on top of your leaf spring pack? This would certainly move the over load spring closer to the stops on the frame. Of course you may need a longer set of u-bolts, but it would work.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 07-10-2013, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karls03 View Post
Why not put a block on top of your leaf spring pack? This would certainly move the over load spring closer to the stops on the frame. Of course you may need a longer set of u-bolts, but it would work.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
I will look into that as well. Just weighing some different options. It's not terrible as is, just a bit more squat than I would like. Have a baby due in September so I'm trying not too spend too much money on non essential items.
Old 07-10-2013, 02:37 PM

Ok makes more sense now. The ones you linked would be your cheapest route.

Adding a taller block on top of the leafs would work but you will only gain 3/4" before needing longer ubolts. Ubolts are not cheap plus you would need to figure out what you could use for a taller block.

I think your ride will be the same with this route
Old 07-12-2013, 12:47 AM
Serving Our Country!

here is an idea,

go to the junkyard, and pull some 350 springs(99-07 for direct swap) or 3" wide springs(any 4x4 ford from the 80-current f150-350 should work, minus 04 f150s)

then cut them to length if need be(i would use a angle grinder/saz-saw), and add them to the overload pack, or the main pack, (main pack will lift the truck/firm up ride, like a add a leaf), if you add them to the main pack, it might give enough lift to eliminate the factory block, giving the same height, and increasing the spring capacity, but it will firm up the ride.

might need some new u-bolts(good to replace anyhow, even if you are just going to add a block between the overload and main leafs), and new center pin,

just an idea if you have a local pick n pull and some tools, could be relatively cheap, ive been seeing a few super-duty land in them lately,

but just giving another option

end result would be something like this(just off google)

Last edited by alaskan155; 07-12-2013 at 12:51 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.