After Market Radius Arms/Drop brackets choices to correct Castor after lifting? HELP - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Suspension & Steering Discuss OEM & aftermarket suspension, lifts, air ride suspension, shocks, steering components, etc.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-06-2013, 07:57 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
After Market Radius Arms/Drop brackets choices to correct Castor after lifting? HELP

Ok guys,

Ive had the RC 6" lift installed on my truck for some time now. The kit included the drop pittmam arm, and extended radius arm drop brackets to keep the angle of the axle and castor the same. I loved how it handled and rode.

I was running 6" lift, 35x12.50 toyos.

Well,

I got the itch to go a little bit bigger. Picked up a set of 38x15.50 Toyos, 3" leveling kit, 5" Ready lift rear block (to swap out the 2" factory block) , Pro comp traction bars to eliminate axle wrap, Pro comp dual shock hoops W/ Fox resis, and a Adjustable Trac-bar. So basically I have 9" of lift now.

I installed everything and it went pretty smooth. HOWEVER, I didnt think putting a leveling kit on would cause the axle to pivot forward so much. The springs have a nice sweeping bend to them instead of being straight up and down like they were because the radius arms are not down far enough. And the Castor is way out of wack causing the truck to wonder all over the road. (its trying to handle like a sports car..lol)

QUESTION...
Is there anywhere to buy JUST longer radius arm drop brackets at a decent price? for an 8-10" lift so I can correct the axle from being rolled forward so much? I have seen ONE UP, and ICON make adjustable link arms that would do exactly what im looking for, But thats another 1500 bucks id have to spend... Im running the factory radius arms so If I could find longer drop brackets that would be perfect. I dont off road the truck much, so im not worried about articulation and strength of the aftermarket arms. I will try to post up some pics to show what im talking about soon.. Thanks for any advice guys!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-06-2013, 08:20 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Call Trevor at pmf he makes drop brackets not sure for that much lift. But I'll bet he could fab something up pretty easy! Great customer service also.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 07-06-2013, 08:25 AM

PMF three links for the front is the way to go. Adjustable and will get rid of the ugly drop brackets.
Old 07-06-2013, 08:26 AM

Old 07-06-2013, 10:43 AM

ouch that coil is goofy and the angle of the pinion looks bad IMHO

what is the measurement of your drop bracket from the old hole to the hole the radius arm mounts in now ?

also some have more than one hole to choose from depending on lift height

but I had an 8 inch with a Fabtech radius drop for a 4-6-8 inch lift and none of my stuff was that messed up

I finaly went to an adjustable 4 link only because I found a smokin deal on a Rize unit for 400 bucks
Old 07-06-2013, 12:14 PM

The RC lift I bought came with the radius arm drop bracket with 2 hole selections. For their 4" and 6" lift. With the 6" springs installed the axle stayed at its factory angle and required NO castor adjustments as it was spot on and drove perfect. Now installing the 3" leveling kit on it, I agree the angles are WAY out of wack. I either need longer radius arm drop brackets, or an adjustable set of arms to get the axle back to proper angles. The top of the axle where the springs seat into it is pointed at about 2:00 . Where it should be level at 12:00. Causing the spring to bend like it is.

If PMF could build me a drop bracket for an 8-10" lift I will be ordering one from them . If not , it looks like i have to bite the bullet and buy an adjustable set of radius Arms.
Old 07-06-2013, 12:15 PM

I would love to find a deal on a set of used adjustable arms if any one has any just laying around!! LOL
Old 07-06-2013, 12:53 PM

you have drop brackets no just have them extended ??

the reason I was asking about the existig radius arm bolt and the drop mount was

mine with an 8 did not look like that with the coil all bent

I have My drop bracket and if it wasn't 115* I would measure mine o see how much id lowers the radius arm
Old 07-06-2013, 01:02 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

I would really not recommend an 8"+ radius arm drop bracket. Thats a ton of force being dropped so far below your frame. To do it right, there would be alot of bracketry needed and it would look kinda goofy IMO. Really your two options would be a set of adjustable 3-link arms ($899) used in conjunction with your existing radius arm drop brackets. Or remove your existing radius arm drop bracket and run a 4-link (also $899). Given your lift amount, I would probably recommend the 4-link.
Old 07-06-2013, 01:06 PM

I thought about having the current drop brackets cut/welded to extend them. I just dont know of any place around here that could do a quality job of it and me feel safe running them after. Id rather purchase a set of brackets designed for the amount of lift I have. Im running 9" of lift with radius drop brackets designed" for a 6" lift. If I could find a set of brackets from a 8" fab tec, pro comp,etc lift I think I would be ok only being 1" higher. Here are some pics . Not sure where to measure from?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.