bilstein 5160 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Suspension & Steering Discuss OEM & aftermarket suspension, lifts, air ride suspension, shocks, steering components, etc.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-01-2013, 04:57 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
bilstein 5160

so im looking at replacing my icon bilstein 5100s (front) and edelebrock something or anothers (rear). they came with my icon 7" lift. they were ok but now they have some miles on them and just arent riding so well. i dont do any desert racing or hardcore wheeling, just everyday driver city and interstate. i live in new orleans and we have some terrible streets so i do need a good shock. i dont want a complete overkill like a king shock but im also not getting monroe from autozone. looking at bilstein 5160, PMF sells them with their lifts as does carli so id imagine they have to be good. can custom valveing be done to them are are they just vehicle specific? anybody have any experience with these? looking to get rid of a little bounce in the rear and absorb a little better in the front on some bigger holes. thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-01-2013, 06:01 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I would look into icon, for purchase. they should be valved to there springs, carli does ....so should icon. if not , I would look at the bilstein 7100, you can valve them according to your liking. it sounds hard at first, but it is really simple....just understanding how the movement of the axles works.
Old 07-01-2013, 06:05 PM
MARSOC > Seals

Cary at CTPeformance (site sponsor) can take care of you. He is a great guy to deal with.
Old 07-02-2013, 08:18 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94slowbra View Post
i dont want a complete overkill like a king shock but im also not getting monroe from autozone.
- Definitely not overkill, I've said it many times before and will say it again, you have an 8,500lb. truck with a high center of gravity, a 2.5" shock like a king will work wonders to allow you to regain control of your truck. It would improve on and off-road handling, predictability and control. I'm not trying to sell you on ours (Your lift is too tall to use Carli stuff), just giving you a new perspective.

looking at bilstein 5160, PMF sells them with their lifts as does carli so id imagine they have to be good. can custom valveing be done to them are are they just vehicle specific?
They're a sealed shock, like the 5100, so they're not re-valvable but can be ordered in large quantities with a custom valving profile. We, as a manufacturer, have the ability to do this, a customer does not. As stated above, a 7100 is basically a fully rebuildable 5160 with bearings in the rod ends rather than bushings and a different finish. That would be the next best option if you're looking to be able to tweak the valving.

anybody have any experience with these?
5160s are AWESOME when you've got a set custom valved for your truck, as for generic, they feel like a 5100 that doesn't fade nearly as quick as the 5100 so they keep the "new shock" feeling longer and do better offroad.

looking to get rid of a little bounce in the rear and absorb a little better in the front on some bigger holes. thanks
This will come from a set of full, replacement leaf springs and a set of custom tuned shocks. I believe ICON sells both for your lift height, may want to call them and get their opinion. If you were our customer with a starter kit, I would be telling you to go to a 2.5" King and a Full progressive rear leaf spring. Looking at your signature, you seem like the kind of guy to spend money on good parts when the time comes so grab some springs and better shocks and that will properly address the issues.
My opinions above in red.
Old 07-02-2013, 02:36 PM

All points are well taken. I don't want just a generic shock, I want something specific for my application so I guess the 5160s are out. Without going all out with a custom set I guess a set of icon 2.5s are the way to go. Is the external resi worth the extra $ for a 90% street application? Any vendors out there that can give me a price on some icon 2.5 vs series shocks for a 7" icon lift?
Old 07-02-2013, 06:54 PM

I had 5100s on ea corner and it was better than stock. Since I lifted my truck similar to yours except only 5-5.5"; I needed new front shocks. I talked to Trevor and decided to go with the 5160's. They are truck specific, so not exactly generic valving.
After writing to Dan and seeing many of his recent responses to this same question, I think maybe I should have went with a better shock, maybe next yr.

Anyway, the standard 5160 made for our trucks is quite a bit better than the 5100. Although they are harder to move by hand than the 5100's they are a smoother shock and control the suspension a lot better than the 5100's. If you want to stay around the $190 range, they are a really good shock. I am not sure what else is available for this price, maybe fox 2.0's

I do not know how much better 5160 shocks would be in the rear compared to the 5100's. I'm still trying to figure out if it would be worth it to put 5160 or similar in the rear.

Also I do not know if Dan saw it but he has told me that their rear springs are too soft for our dually's. For towing, we would most likely need air bags or their long travel bags with a custom mount setup since they are made for the newer trucks. Although I think their springs would really help with the rear end bounce on highways (concrete) as our springs are pretty stiff imo, but they need to handle the loads.

I would do as Dan mentioned and talk to an Icon dealer first and go from there.
Old 07-02-2013, 07:37 PM

I am going to call icon tomorrow and see what they have to say. I guess its the old saying, you have to pay to play. $300 per icon shock is steep but if it does the trick then I guess it worth it.
As for the rear bounce, I'm running icon 5" leafs, not stock 350 leafs. Again I just think the edelebrock shocks just can't control it
Old 07-02-2013, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94slowbra View Post
As for the rear bounce, I'm running icon 5" leafs, not stock 350 leafs. Again I just think the edelebrock shocks just can't control it
Switch to 08+ springs, that should help with rear bounce.
Old 07-02-2013, 07:55 PM

When I went up to 7" Trevor put a set of 5160's in the kit he built for me. They replaced the Icon 2.0 shocks I had on my 4.5" kit. And the 5160's are softer for street driving and work better on the washboards roads at the lake then the Icon 2.0 they replaced. I would recommend them as an upgrade over the regular Icon 2.0's any day of the week. I would give him a call or shoot him an email as I think the 5160's he sells are valved based on his spec as well.

Trevor also has some 2.5" race series rebuildable shocks now and I think I am going to give those a spin as he is working on a few things for the me as I am going up again LOL!
Old 07-03-2013, 04:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2deisel View Post
Switch to 08+ springs, that should help with rear bounce.
before i start switching out more parts im going to switch shocks. this is something i already plan to do so ill see if it helps first. if not then ill consider my options for rear springs

Quote:
Originally Posted by wired1 View Post
When I went up to 7" Trevor put a set of 5160's in the kit he built for me. They replaced the Icon 2.0 shocks I had on my 4.5" kit. And the 5160's are softer for street driving and work better on the washboards roads at the lake then the Icon 2.0 they replaced. I would recommend them as an upgrade over the regular Icon 2.0's any day of the week. I would give him a call or shoot him an email as I think the 5160's he sells are valved based on his spec as well.

Trevor also has some 2.5" race series rebuildable shocks now and I think I am going to give those a spin as he is working on a few things for the me as I am going up again LOL!
i have spoken to trevor about both the 5160s and the custom 2.5 race series. the 5160s are not custom valved for him but are "vehicle specific" and im sure are an upgrade over what i have now. he also mentioned the custom 2.5 shocks. they are built by a ADS and i have been looking into them trying to decide what direction i want to go.
i dont want to go with the cheapest shock if it isnt going to give me what im looking for but i also dont want to over spend just to do it if im not going to see the benefit. the 5160s run about 185, the icon 2.5 vs runs about 330 without resevior and 490 with, trevors custom valved race 2.5 runs 350 without reservoir and 400. so im looking at somewhere between 780 and 1640. thats a big difference in coin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.